The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Hi :smile:

Yeah I’m going into Year 12 in September (studying bio, chem, maths and further maths) and will apply to study medicine at uni in 2020.

A timeline would be great cause everything we have to do and sign up for at different times is really confusing😂
I hope to apply for Medicine
and will be doing A Levels Geography, Chemistry, Biology and Spanish
Original post by Ali$hah
Hey im gonna apply to med school undergrad and wanted to see if there are any other students doing the same so we can establish a timeline to follow

Original post by reinaadira
I hope to apply for Medicine
and will be doing A Levels Geography, Chemistry, Biology and Spanish

Here's a timetable I made:

May/June 2019: Year 12 (and AS) exams
July - October 2019: UCAT test dates (you get the result on the day)
1st-ish September 2019: “September” BMAT test date
21st-ish September 2019: “September” BMAT results
15th October 2019: Deadline for UCAS applications to be submitted for any Oxbridge courses and most medicine courses.
31st-ish October 2019: “October” BMAT test date
23rd-ish November 2019: “October” BMAT results
15th January 2020: Deadline for UCAS application for majority of courses.
February/March: Apply for student finance
13th August 2020: A-Level results day
September 2020: You’re a med student :smile::smile:

Regarding personal statements, my school wants us to submit a draft by the beginning of the summer term in Year 12, but I’ve heard many people don’t start till summer, so that will vary for different schools/colleges.

For the BMAT, the UK BMAT unis all except either you taking the test in september or october, EXCEPT OXFORD UNDERGRADUATE. They only accept October.

Regarding replying to offers from unis, it depends on when their last decision was made. As a general guide from UCAS:
Last decision by 31st March, reply date is 3rd May.
Last decision by 3rd May, reply date is 7th June.
Last decision by 7th June, reply date is 21st June.
Last decision by 12th July, reply date is 19th July.

I hope this helped!
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 4
Original post by bfm.mcdermott
Okay so erm should I just start with the timetable? And we can work from there?
(This could be wrong - I’m trying to work it out but double check this before listening to me!)

May/June/July 2019: Year 12 (and AS) exams
July - October 2019: UKCAT test dates
15th October 2019: Deadline for UCAS applications to be submitted for any Oxbridge courses and most medicine courses.
Early November 2019: UKCAT results
14th August 2020: A-Level results day

Regarding personal statements, my school wants us to submit a draft by the beginning of the summer term in Year 12, but I’ve heard many people don’t start till summer, so that will vary for different schools/colleges.

For the BMAT, the UK BMAT unis all except either you taking the test in september or october, EXCEPT OXFORD UNDERGRADUATE. They only accept October.

Regarding replying to offers from unis, it depends on when their last decision was made. As a general guide from UCAS:

I hope this helped and maybe one of you can add in the gaps or extra details?

it sucks that im in Scotland and I don't really get the year 12 stuff but the timeline you made is really helpful and its accurate too.. thank you so much
Original post by bfm.mcdermott
Okay so erm should I just start with the timetable? And we can work from there?
(This could be wrong - I’m trying to work it out but double check this before listening to me!)

May/June/July 2019: Year 12 (and AS) exams
July - October 2019: UKCAT test dates
Early November 2019: UKCAT results
14th August 2020: A-Level results day

I hope this helped and maybe one of you can add in the gaps or extra details?

Wow you guys are so organised!
I'm applying this year and I still need to work on so much stuff 🙈
Just stay this way, and make sure you work hard from the start...
If you guys need any help at any point, feel free to give me a shout 😊

(PS: You get your UKCAT result straight after the test, not in November)
Reply 6
Original post by Ali$hah
Hey im gonna apply to med school undergrad and wanted to see if there are any other students doing the same so we can establish a timeline to follow

Moved to the Medicine forum :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hi I’m hoping to do medicine too! What sort of extra medical stuff is everyone doing? I did some work experience over the summer and have started volunteering at a hospital and care home, but is there anything else I should be doing, knowing that medicine is notorious difficult to get into
Reply 8
I’m currently in Year 12 and I want to go on to do medicine. I got 9A*s at GCSE (6 9s, 3 8s) and I did little volunteering over the summer. I plan to volunteer at a charity shop, care home or hospital starting in the October half term.
My school is offering the Gold D of E for £420 and I’m wondering if it’s worth it for my university application?
I wouldn’t say so. Teachers and coordinators overestimate DofE in my opinion. Only do DofE if you actively want to, otherwise you’re wasting money and time.

For medicine, just focus on getting very good grades!

Best of luck!
Original post by Buch777
I’m currently in Year 12 and I want to go on to do medicine. I got 9A*s at GCSE (6 9s, 3 8s) and I did little volunteering over the summer. I plan to volunteer at a charity shop, care home or hospital starting in the October half term.
My school is offering the Gold D of E for £420 and I’m wondering if it’s worth it for my university application?

Do it because you want to
Not because you have to
So I'm applying for medicine for 2020 entry (Im in my 1st year of sixth form) and I just want to know everything I need to do in terms of BMAT, UKCAT etc. because my school is actually useless. I dont know 100% where I'm applying yet but I know I want to apply to Exeter and Edinburgh. I'm doing biology, maths and chemistry and my predicted grades are AAA (for AS year). So what is the UKCAT and BMAT and when do you suggest I take them? Also will I have to pay for them or will my school pay for them? Do all universities require the BMAT? Are the exams difficult or if I study enough will I be able to get good enough grades? Thank you.
(edited 5 years ago)
For UKCAT, you have to book online urself for a local test centre near u. I would buy the medify subscription if I was u- about 1 month before u take the test next year, as it really does help with revision. I think u can do ur UKCAT from around July-September ish. For the BMAT, usually u would book through ur school and u'd do the test on October 31st at ur school. There is a September sitting, but I think for that u have to book by urself online for a test centre that isn't ur school.

Also, plan some work exp shadowing a doctor in a hospital or GP practice for the summer and plan some long term volunteering at ur local hospital or care home. Read some medical books- I'd recommend everything by Atul Gawande (he's amazing!!!!!!!!), attend any medical lectures and visit any sciency museums. Most importantly, visit open days for the unis u're thinking of next year.
No offence but google exists and many guides are online and even on TSR.
Reply 14
Original post by WhatIsLife1
I wouldn’t say so. Teachers and coordinators overestimate DofE in my opinion. Only do DofE if you actively want to, otherwise you’re wasting money and time.

For medicine, just focus on getting very good grades!

Best of luck!

Ok thanks for the reply!
Original post by Alice&amp
Hi I’m hoping to do medicine too! What sort of extra medical stuff is everyone doing? I did some work experience over the summer and have started volunteering at a hospital and care home, but is there anything else I should be doing, knowing that medicine is notorious difficult to get into

It looks like enough tbh. Having some clinical work experience and also care home/hospice is the perfect thing. Keep volunteering until the end of year 12, med schools want to see applicants who show commitment and being a volunteer over a long period of time is perfect. I would say over your time in year 12 try to organise a charity event. I wish I had done this (I'm a med school applicant deadline is this week 😭😭). Universities love it when student take the lead and organise events. As long as you are able to reflect on your experience you should be fine.
I'd suggest Google and come back with specific questions you have.

Lots of information about applying in general here https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/Medicine
Agree with the above. It can be a good experience but i wouldn't do it just for CV fodder.
It's a great experiene and you learn a lot from it, but don't do it just for the sake of it. I think it's worth it though
Reply 19
Did you do it and how was it?

Latest

Trending

Trending