The Student Room Group

*MEGATHREAD* Medicine A-Level subjects queries UPDATED for 2022 entry

Scroll to see replies

Is psychology considered a real science by universities? for medicine
Original post by Stefanothebrano
Is psychology considered a real science by universities? for medicine

Generally*, when medical schools ask for sciences they mean lab or natural science subjects i.e. biology/chemistry/physics.

Psychology, is, of course, still a "real science" though.

*Manchester is one exception: https://www.manchester.ac.uk/study/undergraduate/courses/2019/01428/mbchb-medicine/entry-requirements/

Full details here: https://www.medschools.ac.uk/media/2357/msc-entry-requirements-for-uk-medical-schools.pdf
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 62
What are you other A-levels (or options if you have yet to choose)?

If universities require, "chemistry, one other science and another subject (not general studies or critical thinking)", then the answer is no - psychology is not a science. However, you can still study it, as long as you still have the other sciences, i.e. chemistry or biology or both etc..
Original post by Democracy
Generally*, when medical schools ask for sciences they mean lab or natural science subjects i.e. biology/chemistry/physics.

Psychology, is, of course, still a "real science" though.

*Manchester is one exception: https://www.manchester.ac.uk/study/undergraduate/courses/2019/01428/mbchb-medicine/entry-requirements/

If i wanted to take chemistry biology and psychology in A-levels, would you think that is a wise choice for medicine?
Original post by Elastichedgehog
Psychology undergrad here, and I heavily doubt it. You'll need biology/chemistry most likely for medicine.

what if i took Biology, chemistry and psychology for A-level? would that be good for medicine?
what if i took Biology, chemistry and psychology for A-level? would that be good for medicine?

It's worth checking the course requirements at the Universities you're interested in. Other people's answers have said, certain courses often request different subjects. But yes, generally those subjects should be fine.

Yh that should be just fine! I originally wanted to do medicine and I'm doing these A-Levels but also i have friends who are applying for uni with the same a levels as us!
Good luck with applications and your exams!

I know some people do go with this combination for medicine but tbh I think maths might be more useful than psychology
Original post by DrDanB
What are you other A-levels (or options if you have yet to choose)?

If universities require, "chemistry, one other science and another subject (not general studies or critical thinking)", then the answer is no - psychology is not a science. However, you can still study it, as long as you still have the other sciences, i.e. chemistry or biology or both etc..

I am planning to take chemistry, biology and psychology, do you think that would enhance the chances of me doing medicine?

Yes that would be fine.
Original post by mimisiddiqi
I know some people do go with this combination for medicine but tbh I think maths might be more useful than psychology

Not really.
Original post by Elastichedgehog
It's worth checking the course requirements at the Universities you're interested in. Other people's answers have said, certain courses often request different subjects. But yes, generally those subjects should be fine.

Great thank you, what if i were to take computer science instead of psychology?

Im not really a fan of maths which is why im planning to take psychology
Original post by mini.me
Yh that should be just fine! I originally wanted to do medicine and I'm doing these A-Levels but also i have friends who are applying for uni with the same a levels as us!
Good luck with applications and your exams!

Thank you! I was also considering doing Computer science instead of psychology as i'm quite interested in it. do you think that would be wise for medicine
Reply 73
I am planning to take chemistry, biology and psychology, do you think that would enhance the chances of me doing medicine?

Firstly, you want to go study medicine at university and that combination will permit you to study anywhere given that the rest of your UCAS application is strong (but worry about this later on).

Secondly, you might hear people saying, 'take maths instead of psychology becasue its more useful' and to some degree that is true, but phsychology will certainly give you skills that maths doesn't encompass.

However, do what you enjoy and what you will get an A*/A in, and if that not maths, definitely don't take it. Universities won't look down at you in any way and you will be just as competetive with A*AA predictions with your combination as someone with biology, chemistry and maths with A*AA predictions.
(edited 5 years ago)
Im not really a fan of maths which is why im planning to take psychology

ahh dw you should be fine with your combination of chem, bio and psych

(my college just normally recommends maths, bio and chem)
ahh dw you should be fine with your combination of chem, bio and psych

(my college just normally recommends maths, bio and chem)

Right ok that's good
Original post by DrDanB
Firstly, you want to go study medicine at university and that combination will permit you to study anywhere given that the rest of your UCAS application is strong (but worry about this later on).

Secondly, you might hear people saying, 'take maths instead of psychology becasue its more useful' and to some degree that is true, but phsychology will certainly give you skills that maths doesn't encompass.

However, do what you enjoy and what you will get an A*/A in, and if that not maths, definitely don't take it. Universities won't look down at you in any way and you will be just as competetive with A*AA predictions with your combination as someone with biology, chemistry and maths with A*AA predictions.

Right ok, that's great to hear as i'm not a fan of maths although how much of the medicine course includes a-level maths?
Reply 77
Right ok, that's great to hear as i'm not a fan of maths although how much of the medicine course includes a-level maths?

A-levels maths doesn't teach you anything new that you can't already figure out, wether in your other a-levels or in medicine.

Biology/Chemistry/Medicine really doesn't use too much maths, and the maths it does use is basic GCSE level logic and how to use a calculator, so don't worry.
Original post by DrDanB
A-levels maths doesn't teach you anything new that you can't already figure out, wether in your other a-levels or in medicine.

Biology/Chemistry/Medicine really doesn't use too much maths, and the maths it does use is basic GCSE level logic and how to use a calculator, so don't worry.

Wow ok, thank you for clearing that up for me
Biology chemistry and maths are preferred

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending