The Student Room Group

How to succeed in English language GCSE

What are your main tips for the English language exam? GCSE

Scroll to see replies

plan a story before hand with advanced vocabulary and phrases that sound really good. ie a really detailed description of the sky - you can incorporate that into any story
Original post by Gent2324
plan a story before hand with advanced vocabulary and phrases that sound really good. ie a really detailed description of the sky - you can incorporate that into any story

That’s a good idea!

What about for the analysis questions? What should I do to revise that?
Original post by Stefanothebrano
What about for the analysis questions? What should I do to revise that?

depends on the exam board, for mine we had a 500 word text fiction or non fiction, and we have to analyse for example lines 13-29 and what it shows about a certain character.

for them you just need to write something about every single sentance and link it back to the question, often it can sound down right retarded but with english it doesnt have to be true, you can stretch the meaning of anything to anything and it will give you marks. ofcourse no one will agree with you, i made points in mine that were complete *******s but still follow the criteria, if you want i can send you my paper for english literature that got a 9? it shows some of what im talking about here
depends on the exam board, for mine we had a 500 word text fiction or non fiction, and we have to analyse for example lines 13-29 and what it shows about a certain character.

for them you just need to write something about every single sentance and link it back to the question, often it can sound down right retarded but with english it doesnt have to be true, you can stretch the meaning of anything to anything and it will give you marks. ofcourse no one will agree with you, i made points in mine that were complete *******s but still follow the criteria, if you want i can send you my paper for english literature that got a 9? it shows some of what im talking about here

Yes please! that would be great, would your recommend revising the markscheme?
Yes please! that would be great, would your recommend revising the markscheme?

nah waste of time, i didnt really understand the markscheme tbh. which books are u doing in english lit?
nah waste of time, i didnt really understand the markscheme tbh. which books are u doing in english lit?

Lord of the flies, Jekyll and Hyde and finally Macbeth

But wouldn't you have to write evidence toward your points?
Reply 9
are you with AQA for your english exams?
But wouldn't you have to write evidence toward your points?

the sentance is the evidence, i didnt get my language paper back so i cant really show you

this is the jekyll and hyde paper i did, the question was to talk about how evil is described in Jekyll and hyde:
https://imgur.com/a/LgIV4S3

if you look at the last paragraph of the first page, the first sentance sounds probably too good for a gcse student - it is. id say atleast 30% of what i said is completely ripped from a youtube video or something where some clever guy was saying some advanced stuff about the story.

one major thing i think you should put in is about robert louis stevenson supporting gay people, easy 2 marks by quoting a youtuber. the whole paragraph was pretty much directly copied from this video (page 6)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bhq4x5CTA58&t
i also quoted another video he made about john hunter and him killing people and putting them in the back of his house, sounds weird and unrelated but with a little link to the question it will get you an easy 2 marks.
(edited 5 years ago)
the sentance is the evidence, i didnt get my language paper back so i cant really show you

this is the jekyll and hyde paper i did, the question was to talk about how evil is described in Jekyll and hyde:
https://imgur.com/a/LgIV4S3

if you look at the last paragraph of the first page, the first sentance sounds probably too good for a gcse student - it is. id say atleast 30% of what i said is completely ripped from a youtube video or something where some clever guy was saying some advanced stuff about the story.

one major thing i think you should put in is about robert louis stevenson supporting gay people, easy 2 marks by quoting a youtuber. the whole paragraph was pretty much directly copied from this video (page 6)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bhq4x5CTA58&t
i also quoted another video he made about john hunter and him killing people and putting them in the back of his house, sounds weird and unrelated but with a little link to the question it will get you an easy 2 marks.

Wow ok, did you study macbeth? as i would like some links to that as well as well as tips
Wow ok, did you study macbeth? as i would like some links to that as well as well as tips

yes the question was how is violence presented in macbeth:
https://imgur.com/a/ApizITc

orders a bit ****ed up though, the third post is the first page, then the top post, then the second top post, then the last post.
yes the question was how is violence presented in macbeth:
https://imgur.com/a/ApizITc

orders a bit ****ed up though, the third post is the first page, then the top post, then the second top post, then the last post.

Right ok, thank you so much! how was your literature poems like?
I got an 8 on the Edexcel exam board. Just do tons of practice papers and get them marked by your English teacher, as they can tell you your weak points. Also, when answering questions use the most worthy and relevant quotes from the extract. Make sure you know all of the literary devices too! Good luck.
Original post by Gcses789
I got an 8 on the Edexcel exam board. Just do tons of practice papers and get them marked by your English teacher, as they can tell you your weak points. Also, when answering questions use the most worthy and relevant quotes from the extract. Make sure you know all of the literary devices too! Good luck.

Ok thank you!
Right ok, thank you so much! how was your literature poems like?

better tbh, just learn alot of quotes and analyse them all. id send you mine but i did WJEC which no one does and has different poems. aswell as that the poems i did arent going to come up for you even if u are doing wjec.

just learn quotes and context - you must have some context in every poem.
Reply 17
Read a wide range on novels. Trust me it will help.
Reply 18
Original post by Gcses789

This helped a lot I did the same!
Original post by Mikz
Read a wide range on novels. Trust me it will help.

I feel as though i've ran out of time to read lots of novel and therefore do you have any advice to create a good structure for my english paragraphs?

Quick Reply

Latest