The Student Room Group

Ever been involved with an essay writing service?

Maybe by buying essay writing services
Maybe by actually writing assignments

TSR has been contacted by the BBC who are going to be running a piece on essay mills.

They are taking a sympathetic approach towards students generally and are looking for case studies of real students who have either bought or worked for essay writing services.

You can remain anonymous if you wish.

If you're interested and/or want to know more, either post here or send me a PM.

Scroll to see replies

Interesting...
Anyone who uses an essay mill to complete their academic work should have their degree voided and be blacklisted by UCAS. Plain and simple.

You didn't earn your degree; maybe it's because you have terrible timekeeping and procrastinated or a personal issue arose and rather than applying for extenuating circumstances, you cheated your way back on track.

You essentially bought your degree without working those late nights through the adversity. You may never get found out but I hope when you write you have a BA/BSc/BDes etc on your CV, you know you're lying to yourself and your potential employer :smile: ... Just my opinion.
Original post by CTLeafez
Anyone who uses an essay mill to complete their academic work should have their degree voided and be blacklisted by UCAS. Plain and simple.

You didn't earn your degree; maybe it's because you have terrible timekeeping and procrastinated or a personal issue arose and rather than applying for extenuating circumstances, you cheated your way back on track.

You essentially bought your degree without working those late nights through the adversity. You may never get found out but I hope when you write you have a BA/BSc/BDes etc on your CV, you know you're lying to yourself and your potential employer :smile: ... Just my opinion.

I totally understand your perspective on this as using an essay mill undermines the efforts and achievements of the vast majority of students.

However, I can also understand that a tiny number of students - for a range of reasons - get into situations of panic and desperation that lead them to make bad decisions. 'Essay mills' prey on the vulnerability of these students.

I know that the government are considering legislating on this and while it will be tough to eradicate essay mills completely, making it harder to access these services will go some way to protecting some very desperate students.
Original post by The Learn Ranger
I totally understand your perspective on this as using an essay mill undermines the efforts and achievements of the vast majority of students.

However, I can also understand that a tiny number of students - for a range of reasons - get into situations of panic and desperation that lead them to make bad decisions. 'Essay mills' prey on the vulnerability of these students.

I know that the government are considering legislating on this and while it will be tough to eradicate essay mills completely, making it harder to access these services will go some way to protecting some very desperate students.

I feel like the vast majority of issues which would lead to a student using an essay mill in a moment of desperation would either be self-inflicted (procrastinating and leaving it to the last moment) or be worthy of officially approved extenuating circumstances/extensions/leave of absence so wouldn't require the essay to be handed-in right there and then.

Could you think of an example of when a student would need to use an essay mill but the issue which caused them to get to this point wasn't self-inflicted and not worthy of Uni sanctioned extensions etc?

Apologies if this sounds really unsympathetic, I'm just very annoyed by those achieving grades which they don't deserve through lacking any integrity. I work damn hard for my Uni grades, I don't want someone with no foresight or determination to get those same grades for just the effort of typing their bank details into a website.
I sell some of my undergraduate essays and assignments on Notesale. It's not an essay-writing service per se, it's a bank of essays used previously by students. The idea is that they can buy them to look at and get ideas for their own assignment or additional resources to use if they don't understand a topic. I honestly wouldn't be surprised if students tried to submit those essays (or sections of them) as their own but obviously it's very likely that they would be picked up for plagiarism.
I unintentionally worked for an essay mill in my early days as a freelance writer. I'll explain what I mean by that to whoever is interested.

I absolutely 100% disagree with them, and now refuse to do any work for anyone if I suspect the writing is for academic gain.
Reply 7

TSR has been contacted by the BBC who are going to be running a piece on essay mills.

Didn't TSR used to provide an essay service; charging people for access to pre-written essays and paying people for submitting their own essays with TSR subscriptions.. or did I just imagine all that?
Original post by xoxAngel_Kxox
I unintentionally worked for an essay mill in my early days as a freelance writer. I'll explain what I mean by that to whoever is interested.

I absolutely 100% disagree with them, and now refuse to do any work for anyone if I suspect the writing is for academic gain.

ooooh seems interestingggggg..... care to explain?
Original post by miniminx3310
ooooh seems interestingggggg..... care to explain?

Basically I took on a couple of freelance writing projects under the instruction to write model answers for some essay questions - with the aim for them to be used by tutors to show students various graded answers. I discovered a few months into the project that the company were actually selling essays to students. To be honest, I should have guessed, but as a new freelance writer fresh out of uni I was so happy to have an assignment that was paying a decent amount of money that I just didn't ask as many questions as I should have.
Original post by Charlotte's Web
I sell some of my undergraduate essays and assignments on Notesale. It's not an essay-writing service per se, it's a bank of essays used previously by students. The idea is that they can buy them to look at and get ideas for their own assignment or additional resources to use if they don't understand a topic. I honestly wouldn't be surprised if students tried to submit those essays (or sections of them) as their own but obviously it's very likely that they would be picked up for plagiarism.

Students can upload essays and notes onto TSR if they want. If they try to submit these as their own work they will probably be caught out by plagiarism checkers. This is different from the 'essay mill' where essays are written to order for individual students and therefore won't get picked up for plagiarism.

Original post by Reue
Didn't TSR used to provide an essay service; charging people for access to pre-written essays and paying people for submitting their own essays with TSR subscriptions.. or did I just imagine all that?

No you didn't imagine it. The site is Marked by Teachers and it's still going.
Students can upload essays and notes onto TSR if they want. If they try to submit these as their own work they will probably be caught out by plagiarism checkers. This is different from the 'essay mill' where essays are written to order for individual students and therefore won't get picked up for plagiarism.

I do think some people on sites which sell notes are selling new and unused essays with the view to people buying them to submit as their own work. It's not something I personally would do.
Basically I took on a couple of freelance writing projects under the instruction to write model answers for some essay questions - with the aim for them to be used by tutors to show students various graded answers. I discovered a few months into the project that the company were actually selling essays to students. To be honest, I should have guessed, but as a new freelance writer fresh out of uni I was so happy to have an assignment that was paying a decent amount of money that I just didn't ask as many questions as I should have.

Do you think you were writing in response to specific 'orders'/requests from students?
Do you think you were writing in response to specific 'orders'/requests from students?

No, I think it was an individual getting assignments written that he knew were set for specific unis, in advance, so he had them ready to go. I can't be 100% sure, but I think that was the case.
No, I think it was an individual getting assignments written that he knew were set for specific unis, in advance, so he had them ready to go. I can't be 100% sure, but I think that was the case.

Do you mind if I introduce you to the BBC researcher via PM?
Do you mind if I introduce you to the BBC researcher via PM?

Yep that's absolutely fine, no problem :smile:.
Maybe by buying essay writing services
Maybe by actually writing assignments

They are taking a sympathetic approach towards students generally and are looking for case studies of real students who have either bought or worked for essay writing services.

You can remain anonymous if you wish.

If you're interested and/or want to know more, either post here or send me a PM.

People who are should be thrown out of their university without a refund.
Reply 17

Ah I thought so. Perhaps the BBC could interview TSR staff?
Original post by Reue
Ah I thought so. Perhaps the BBC could interview TSR staff?

:laugh::laugh:
Actually everything on MBT is submitted to Turnit in so should appear in any plagiarism check. The internet is full of information that students might use in their work, the issue is - can the wholesale use of that content be picked up easily?

There's quite a lot of difference between that and a service that writes bespoke work for a particular student that will never be picked up in a plagiarism check.

What's your view?
Reply 19

What's your view?

My view is that if a professor wishes for their class to have examples of essays they should provide the same example to the whole class. Otherwise people are able to buy an advantage, regardless of it being personally produced or from access to an essay bank.

Frankly I'm surprised TSR still runs that service at all given the recent media attention.

Latest

Trending

Trending