The Student Room Group

A level English Language Revision Help?

Does anybody study A level English Language? To anybody that does or has in the past, how do you even revise for this subject? What are the best revision strategies to get an A grade in it. Thanks .
Reply 1
Original post by Loreto2018
Does anybody study A level English Language? To anybody that does or has in the past, how do you even revise for this subject? What are the best revision strategies to get an A grade in it. Thanks .

Theorists are key. Make sure you know your theorists inside out. Flashcard them. Mindmap them. Just make sure you know them because you can't answer the question without them.

Annotating texts with language methods is another revision strategy imo. You might know the techniques but it's practicing spotting them that will help.

Finally, writing answers to questions under timed conditions can only be a good thing. Practice makes perfect, as they say.

Good Luck!
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by HT2412
Theorists are key. Make sure you know your theorists inside out. Flashcard them. Mindmap them. Just make sure you know them because you can't answer the question without them.

Annotating texts with language methods is another revision strategy imo. You might know the techniques but it's practicing spotting them that will help.

Finally, writing answers to questions under timed conditions can only be a good thing. Practice makes perfect, as they say.

Good Luck!

What do you mean by "theorists"? Like Language techniques?
Reply 3
What do you mean by "theorists"? Like Language techniques?

I studied AQA spec so might be different for different specs. A language theorist is someone who comments on a certain area of language use.

E.g. Robin Lakoff proposed the deficit model regarding how women speak in relation to men.
Original post by HT2412
I studied AQA spec so might be different for different specs. A language theorist is someone who comments on a certain area of language use.

E.g. Robin Lakoff proposed the deficit model regarding how women speak in relation to men.

ah ok. Im on the WJEC eduqas exam board and my teachers havent really placed a huge empthasis on learning the theorists.
Reply 5
ah ok. Im on the WJEC eduqas exam board and my teachers havent really placed a huge empthasis on learning the theorists.

In that case ignore everything that I said then lol!

Stick to revision with practice questions and you can't go wrong!
Original post by HT2412
In that case ignore everything that I said then lol!

Stick to revision with practice questions and you can't go wrong!

Right I got you, thanks for your feedback. Did you find it an easy or hard A level and did you generally revise a lot for it?
Reply 7
Right I got you, thanks for your feedback. Did you find it an easy or hard A level and did you generally revise a lot for it?

I've dropped it now (took to AS) but have lots of friends who do it at A2. No A-Level is easier but it's certainly manageable, there's still content to learn but not as much as say History or other subjects.

Revision is key but for me it's all about revising smart. Duration of revision doesn't necessarily indicate the quality. Little bits of revision as you go when you wouldn't normally be doing things (e.g. Flashcards on the bus) definitely doesn't hurt. .
Original post by HT2412
I've dropped it now (took to AS) but have lots of friends who do it at A2. No A-Level is easier but it's certainly manageable, there's still content to learn but not as much as say History or other subjects.

Revision is key but for me it's all about revising smart. Duration of revision doesn't necessarily indicate the quality. Little bits of revision as you go when you wouldn't normally be doing things (e.g. Flashcards on the bus) definitely doesn't hurt. .

Ok, ill try to do this. Its just cause i spend most of revision time on Biology and Chemistry which I really struggle with and i find myself not really doing much for english. But as you said, ill try to do little bits by making flashcards on the terminology and practise questions now and then.
Ok, ill try to do this. Its just cause i spend most of revision time on Biology and Chemistry which I really struggle with and i find myself not really doing much for english. But as you said, ill try to do little bits by making flashcards on the terminology and practise questions now and then.

You do the same subjects as me, what do you wanna do in the future?
Original post by Drew Wolf
You do the same subjects as me, what do you wanna do in the future?

Im thinking of doing either Pharmacy or Biomedical Sciences. What about you? and are you in AS or A2?

Quick Reply

Latest