The Student Room Group

Speech and language therapy BSc 2019 England

Hello!

Thought i’d start a thread for anyone planning to apply to speech and language bsc for 2019 entry!

I’m hoping to go to DMU but going to apply to as many as I can :smile:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Hi, I am about to start an Access to HE (health professions) next week, with a view to starting BSc Speech and Language next year. I am a mature student and have two kids, so I'm a little nervous about finding the time to get all my work done, but hopefully I'll get into the swing of it! I am based in the North west, so Manchester and MMU are the only two close to me that offer the course.

Have you sought out any work experience to help your application? I am emailing various people so here's hoping I can get something.
Hi!

That sounds good, i’m sure you’ll be fine and it’ll be a good introduction to the degree! I am a mature student (ish - i’m 23!)

I looked into doing an access course but I think i can get away with not doing it, i’m going to the open day at DMU this weekend so i’m hoping to get more information about strengthening my application.

In terms of work experience i’ve worked as a carer for children with special needs and various communication difficulties for 3 years and i’ve been lucky enough to work as a speech therapy assistant part time! I’ve also volunteered for the stroke association and shadowed a couple of speech therapists but i’m hoping to get a bit more clinical experience this year :smile:

I applied for the masters for this year and got onto the waiting list for City but i’ve decided to do the undergraduate now as I haven’t done anything science based in a few years and would rather take my time as there’s a lot to learn!

I live in the south but unfortunately there aren’t many courses close by for speech therapy :frown:
Reply 3
Oh wow, it sounds like you have loads of great experience! My background is in childcare (I was a Nanny for 8 years), but have been a stay at home parent for the last 4 years, so I feel very out of the game! I have emailed the Stroke Association and am hoping to get something there. I have tried contacting a few SLTs, but have had no luck yet in securing any work experience. I feel like I am running out of time to get some hours under my belt before we have to apply, hoping my college might have some helpful advice once I start next week though. We shall see!
Original post by UnderIce
Oh wow, it sounds like you have loads of great experience! My background is in childcare (I was a Nanny for 8 years), but have been a stay at home parent for the last 4 years, so I feel very out of the game! I have emailed the Stroke Association and am hoping to get something there. I have tried contacting a few SLTs, but have had no luck yet in securing any work experience. I feel like I am running out of time to get some hours under my belt before we have to apply, hoping my college might have some helpful advice once I start next week though. We shall see!

I’d say your best bet is to contact speech therapists personally both private and NHS if you can find them and ask even if they can’t provide shadowing (some can’t due to insuracance) just to meet to discuss their role, I know a lot of unis just want to know you properly understand the breadth of the role :smile: good luck, even if you have some upcoming experience booked in to write in your application it’s better than nothing :smile:
Hey everyone!

I'm an international student who has applied to Speech Therapy at Newcastle University, City University London, University of Sheffield, Leeds Beckett University and Manchester Metropolitan University. I'm really hoping to get in!

I have a diploma in Early Childhood Studies and have been working since 2015 in a cognitive development centre for kids with various needs. I've also been working in a childcare centre since early this year and volunteering at a speech therapy centre since July 2018.

Wish me luck everyone!
Hi everyone! I found this forum extremely helpful when I was applying for the postgraduate course at UCL & City. Everyone had great advice and I think it helped me immensely to get on the course. I remember when I was applying, I read on one of the threads about this 'career day' which Northwick Park Hospital (in London) ran. I attended it and found it really helpful and I would highly recommend it. If you're thinking you don't have enough experience or you're unsure about how to start your personal statement then attend the course. I've attached the leaflet/form. It was structured really well and the SLTs there were happy to have a chat and answer my questions too.

Let me know if you have any questions regarding this or applying in general. Good luck!
Reply 7
Hello everyone .I am planning to apply to MMU amd UoM I am only 20 years old and I have no Experience at all which traffied me !!!! I didnt know that we have to had Experience . I am really disappoitment .i will try my best to have any Experience this year .do you guys think it hard to get into this course ? do you have any idea how many student they accept every year ? and do you know if it is enogh to have only 3 weeks clinic Experience ? or it has to be for a long time ?is the intrview easy ? thank you ang good luck to all of you .please if anyone knows anything that may help us just write down.
Original post by Hanna22
Hello everyone .I am planning to apply to MMU amd UoM I am only 20 years old and I have no Experience at all which traffied me !!!! I didnt know that we have to had Experience . I am really disappoitment .i will try my best to have any Experience this year .do you guys think it hard to get into this course ? do you have any idea how many student they accept every year ? and do you know if it is enogh to have only 3 weeks clinic Experience ? or it has to be for a long time ?is the intrview easy ? thank you ang good luck to all of you .please if anyone knows anything that may help us just write down.

The most important thing about experience however little you have is what you learn from it.

I went to the DMU open day last weekend and they said experience isn’t imperative as they know it’s difficult to get, you just need knowledge of the job role and why you want to do it etc.

Are you applying to the undergraduate course? The number of students varies a lot between uni’s!

I wouldn’t say the interview is easy but it’s more about gaging your personality and suitability for being a speech therapist/ your knowledge of the job role and how you’d react in situations with service users. You also need to know about the NHS values etc.

Good luck I hope this helps :smile:
Reply 9
Thank you so much ! Much appreciated you really helped me
I will go to MMU open day 13/10/2018
And yes I will apply for undergraduate! Is it easier than the postgraduate?
I am also worried about that too many students want to apply for speech and language therapy undergraduate and there are only limited university which provides the course ☹️!
And I will do my besst to get some experience please tell me anywhere that can help me with this !

Thankksss
Hi all,
I was starting to get a little nervous about only being able to apply to two unis (UoM and MMU). My college tutor suggested looking at other undergraduate courses I could apply for, then potentially go on to post grad study for SLT. Anyone had any experience of this? I rang MMU last week to enquire and they said up until this year they would only consider psychology graduates but apparently this year they are supposedly considering other degrees. If any one can shed light I would be eternally grateful!
Original post by UnderIce
Hi all,
I was starting to get a little nervous about only being able to apply to two unis (UoM and MMU). My college tutor suggested looking at other undergraduate courses I could apply for, then potentially go on to post grad study for SLT. Anyone had any experience of this? I rang MMU last week to enquire and they said up until this year they would only consider psychology graduates but apparently this year they are supposedly considering other degrees. If any one can shed light I would be eternally grateful!

I applied to the msc at City this year and have spoken to people on the course and they said the students have a range of undergraduates degrees, I know someone who did the SLT msc at Reading with an accountancy degree!

I think as long as you have experience or at least the right motives and etc for wanting to do the job and understanding of the role they would consider you :smile:

i’ve enquired about my degree being Childhood and Youth Studies with Psychology and they said although i’d struggle on some bits more than someone with say a linguistics degree i’d have more knowledge and understanding of child development so we’d all find some bits easier than others :smile: hope that helps!
Thanks for the reply! After thinking about it I think if I don't get on to SLT this year I would be better off trying to get work experience for a year and applying again. I'm just patching myself out because my uni options are limited.
Hi all,

I'm a mature student (36) and I've decided that if I dont start studying for the career I want now, then I never will.

I'm currently at college, studying an Access to Science course, and I'm going to be applying to study SLT at City, Essex, De Montfort, UEA and Sheffield.

Good luck to everyone who's applying this year...
3rd year Speech therapy student here! Happy to answer any questions :smile:
Woohoo!!! I have an interview at Essex on 28th November. Anyone else?
Hello ! @SLTstudent @SLTstudent
I will submit my UCAS application on the 7th of December! I’m struggle in writing my personal statement! Would you please advise me with anything that may help !
Literally I will be depressed if I don’t get an offer for this course 😭 It’s the dream of my life to study it !
BTW I will apply to MMU , Sheffield, Strathclyde , and Newcastle .
Thanks.
Hey guys!

I’m planning on applying to MMU, QMU and MARJON!

I’m currently studying a Level 3 extended diploma in health and social care at collage after a levels and I didn’t exactly get on. Hoping I will get interviews/offers! Best of luck all x
Hi everyone!

Last Thursday I sent off my UCAS application and heard back today with an invitation to interview at De Montford and uni of East Anglia for the BSc and Reading for the MSc!

Still waiting to hear back from Cardiff Met and Leeds Beckett!

Anyone else been invited to interview at any of those?! :smile:
Reply 19
Hi Guys,

I sent off my UCAS yesterday and just got an offer for an interview at BCU in the 26th November! I’ve applied for BCU, MMU, Sheffield, Leeds Beckett and Cardiff Met.

Just wondering if anyone else will be coming to the 26th November interview if you are I’ll see you there!

Quick Reply

Latest