The Student Room Group

'80s songs - one a day

Scroll to see replies

God... 70's were best ever, we invented rock and angst.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hFxJsCKjanU
Reply 81
Original post by Vinny C
God... 70's were best ever, we invented rock and angst.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hFxJsCKjanU

That's a sweet tune, Vince, but we're doing '80s rock here (nothing too massively well-known, not too obscure). Any further contributions?
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by Medrat
That's a sweet tune, Vince, but we're doing '80s rock here (not too massively well-known, not too obscure). Any further contributions?

Yep... the grabbing hands grab all they can. Name that song!
Reply 83
Original post by Vinny C
Yep... the grabbing hands grab all they can. Name that song!

Depeche Mode, but can't think of the song...but it's still not '80s Rock! Post your favourite '80s rock track, Vinny. Everyone (and I mean everyone) has one. I'm going to post this one. It's not really 'rock' rock as we know it but, hey, it's all rock'n'roll anyway :biggrin: Somebody said that this guy could just talk, with some random music going on in the background, and he'd get a hit - that is so true (but this track does not seem to get much play. No idea why. It has to be one of the best songs ever written).
well done... Everything Counts. bands lost guts when they lost their musicians
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RPjggN-KByI
e backing dancer bec
Original post by Medrat
Depeche Mode, but can't think of the song...but it's still not '80s Rock! Post your favourite '80s rock track, Vinny. Everyone (and I mean everyone) has one. I'm going to post this one. It's not really 'rock' rock as we know it but, hey, it's all rock'n'roll anyway :biggrin: Somebody said that this guy could just talk, with some random music going on in the background, and he'd get a hit - that is so true (but this track does not seem to get much play. No idea why. It has to be one of the best songs ever written).

It all became look at me... I'm special... I can move. Songs were about revolution and ideals... not a Diva!
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 86
Original post by Vinny C
e backing dancer bec

It all became look at me... I'm special... I can move. Songs were about revolution and ideals... not a Diva!

Agree with you. In the comments to Chris Rea's song, people are asking why he didn't make it huge given his talent. This is an interesting response from someone that chimes with your thoughts:

This song conveys a powerful anti-establishment message. It emphasised the inherent flaw in our debt-based monetary system years before the birth of the internet. 'Now the road's jammed up with credit, and there's nothing you can do!'. Boat-rockers seldom achieve stardom, but I'm sure Chris is cool with that. It beats assassination. Frank L Baum's allegorical tale had the same message almost 100 years prior to this. Follow the yellow brick road.
Original post by Medrat
Agree with you. In the comments to Chris Rea's song, people are asking why he didn't make it huge given his talent. This is an interesting response from someone that chimes with your thoughts:

This song conveys a powerful anti-establishment message. It emphasised the inherent flaw in our debt-based monetary system years before the birth of the internet. 'Now the road's jammed up with credit, and there's nothing you can do!'. Boat-rockers seldom achieve stardom, but I'm sure Chris is cool with that. It beats assassination. Frank L Baum's allegorical tale had the same message almost 100 years prior to this. Follow the yellow brick road.

Which one of the Spice Girls plays drums is what it bolls down to. Without a mix of ideas you are down to conglomerate fashion gimme mode. Big Brother... I'm special. I am a **** and I sleep. What the **** are we following?
Reply 88
Original post by Vinny C
Which one of the Spice Girls plays drums is what it bolls down to. Without a mix of ideas you are down to conglomerate fashion gimme mode. Big Brother... I'm special. I am a **** and I sleep. What the **** are we following

A lot (not all, but a lot) of musicians want to make money more than anything these days because everyone's got richer. They simply couldn't earn as much in the '70s and '80s, so they were able to rock the boat, be anti-establishment and spend ages writing and producing music (how long did Tubular Bells take?). Now, the stakes are too high. Now, they'll lose millions for being anti-establishemnt or taking too long to write something, and not just a few quid like before. They've been bought and have sold their soul to the devil. Sad.
(edited 5 years ago)
Precisely... they follow the money train, not the angst. That is why modern music is so shite.
(edited 5 years ago)
@Medrat I would like to post a song but it's not rock, what can I do? :beard:
Reply 91
Hi Puddles, Would love to hear your song. I nearly broke my own rules with the Chris Rea one although I do still think that I can squeeze it into the rock category, so please go ahead. Rules are made to be broken!
(edited 5 years ago)

@Medrat :yay: Thanks!

Italo disco :dance:
Reply 93
Original post by Puddles the Monkey

@Medrat :yay: Thanks!

Italo disco :dance:

That's really nice, Puddles. I haven't heard that one before. Thanks for positng. Since we are playing fast and loose with the ''80s Rock' category <looks pointedly at Puddles> :smile:, I'm going to include this. If you ignore the objectifying lyrics, imagery and sentiment, it's a great song.
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 94
This is the least objectifying video/song from this band. Good job all their songs sound the same (brilliant), or I wouldn't know which to post.
Reply 96
If you haven't heard/seen this epic, you need to stop what you are doing right now and focus...
Reply 97
Brilliant song from the original (punk) rocker. Rock on!
Reply 98
Last one in this category - We are not meant to like this song because it's cheesy, and it's really well-known, so invalidates my own category of not too well-known/not too obscure, but I'm still putting it up because I found out that some of my friends did not know that this song belongs to this band. Travesty! I'm sure everyone here is far better informed...
Reply 99
New category - 'Fun '80s' (anything wacky, weird and wonderful gratefully accepted).

This cover, from a mod revival band, is very fun.

Quick Reply

Latest