The Student Room Group

Trainee Detective Constable 2018!

Hey guys,

Ive recently applied for a Trainee Detective Constable role and have been invited to Assessment Day 1.

Has anyone else applied for this role and has there assessment day 1 yet?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by Sammy_ox
Hey guys,

Ive recently applied for a Trainee Detective Constable role and have been invited to Assessment Day 1.

Has anyone else applied for this role and has there assessment day 1 yet?

I've done the assessment and now been sent the verbal reasoning test.
I’ve also applied and have been invited to the assessment centre, though I don’t think it will be taking place until next year in January sometime since there are no slots open atm. Hope you guys are getting on well! I’d love to know what the assessment centre and tests have been like so far :smile: Good luck!
Reply 3
Original post by Radioactive_
I’ve also applied and have been invited to the assessment centre, though I don’t think it will be taking place until next year in January sometime since there are no slots open atm. Hope you guys are getting on well! I’d love to know what the assessment centre and tests have been like so far :smile: Good luck!

Are you referring to the day 1 assessment
Original post by jenv
Are you referring to the day 1 assessment

Yes, I believe so.
Reply 5
Hey!

So happy I found this thread. I've just booked onto assessment centre day 1 for 30th Jan, excited but nervous. How was your assessment and what were they like? Also, how soon after do they inform you whether you're through to the 2nd assessment centre day?

Reply 6
Hey how long did it take for you to get invited to day 1? I submitted my application last weekend ! Thanks 😃
Reply 7
Original post by Siminy
Hey how long did it take for you to get invited to day 1? I submitted my application last weekend ! Thanks 😃

Hey, well I applied late November/early December and was waiting for an email but heard nothing. Yesterday they called me from an unknown number asking why I had not booked onto an assessment day. I explained I hadn't received an email but later checked on my portal and I had been successful. So I'm not sure if my email wasn't sent in error or whether you're meant to check your online portal frequently. I'd check back in a week or so!
Reply 8
Original post by amysade
Hey, well I applied late November/early December and was waiting for an email but heard nothing. Yesterday they called me from an unknown number asking why I had not booked onto an assessment day. I explained I hadn't received an email but later checked on my portal and I had been successful. So I'm not sure if my email wasn't sent in error or whether you're meant to check your online portal frequently. I'd check back in a week or so!

Ok thanks - I’m already obsessively checking the portal, really want this! Good luck on the 30th!
Reply 9
Original post by Siminy
Ok thanks - I’m already obsessively checking the portal, really want this! Good luck on the 30th!

Thankyou, hope you hear back soon!
Original post by jenv
I've done the assessment and now been sent the verbal reasoning test.

Hi, congrats. Did you do the Assessment day 1 for the Met. Police in London, as I heard they do a different day 1 test to other places?
Reply 11
Original post by michaeluniww999
Hi, congrats. Did you do the Assessment day 1 for the Met. Police in London, as I heard they do a different day 1 test to other places?

Thanks! I'm starting my training this Monday.for the tdc role. Excited!

Yup I did the day 1 in London.
Original post by jenv
Thanks! I'm starting my training this Monday.for the tdc role. Excited!

Yup I did the day 1 in London.

Fantastic.
May I ask,

1. How long is the time gap approx between the assessment day 1 and assessment day 2/training?

2. Of the tests on the day 1, which was the most difficult?

3. I heard there is virtual reality test and an ipad test. What happens if you haven't
used these before? Do you decided which to use, or did the instructor/assessor choose?

4. On a rating of 1 to 10, how difficult was the video exercise in remembering things?

Thanks,
Reply 13
Original post by michaeluniww999
Fantastic.
May I ask,

1. How long is the time gap approx between the assessment day 1 and assessment day 2/training?

2. Of the tests on the day 1, which was the most difficult?

3. I heard there is virtual reality test and an ipad test. What happens if you haven't
used these before? Do you decided which to use, or did the instructor/assessor choose?

4. On a rating of 1 to 10, how difficult was the video exercise in remembering things?

Thanks,

Hi,

Usual it takes about a month or so between day 1 and day 2 but day 1 assessment results usually come back within 2 weeks or less.

None of the tests were difficult you just have to remain calm and not panic. Your best will be enough.

There is no choice regarding any of the tests

I didn't think it was very difficult.... But then I don't know how much I scored. There are several assessments so passing is based on an overall score
Hi I have my 1st assessment day in May for TDC :smile: what sort of questions did they ask for the interview?
Reply 15
Original post by amysade
Thankyou, hope you hear back soon!

Hey how did your day 1 go? 😄
Reply 16
Original post by Siminy
Hey how did your day 1 go? 😄

Hey, and much harder than I anticipated haha. Get results within 2-4 weeks!
Hello

I hope I'm in the right place! I'm also doing the trainee DC scheme with the Met. Applied last July, passed the sift, did Day One assessment, passed it, did verbal reasoning, passed. I now only have (I think) Fitness and Medical which I am doing Monday 11th and then Day Two detective assessment (subject to passing the more in depth vetting, which I've just returned the form on)
My biggest worry is the fitness and medical or more specifically the bleep test. I am a 48 year old, slightly chubby (size 14) woman but have trained really, really hard for last three months, lost some weight, I'm the fittest I've been for years but I still can't pass the bloody bleep test when I try it at home. What's bizarre is that I work with a group of uber fit late twenty somethings who also struggle massively with it (they have been helping with my training)
These girls run marathons and two out of the four struggle with it and can't actually complete it and the ones that do are knackered by the end. I was told initally that you 'walk' the first three levels - this is utter rubbish, unless you are eight foot tall you are certainly starting with a gentle jog from level one. I have trained and trained, I don't know what more I can do?
I am not going to cancel the test, I will still go and pray adrenaline, God, might get me through but sensibly I know I will fail it. I know there are two other attempts but I'm not sure I'll ever pass it. Yet I am fit and healthy and would make a bloody good detective (I absolutely know that) However I do get that a certain level of fitness is required. I could run for half an hour no probs now I just cannot seem to get enough puff to keep going on the bleep. Any help/advice much appreciated and if anyone wants to know more about Day One happy to help. Thanks
Reply 18
Oh no what was it like?? Good luck!
Hi all,I did my day one assessment on the 24th January 2019, however I haven’t heard anything back? The portal just states letting me know shortly the next stage or recruitment. Getting slightly less hopeful each day as to wether I’ve got it.Anyone else not heard back from their day one??

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending