The Student Room Group

Applying to Oxford 2019 Entry - Ask the Admissions Teams!

Hi all,

With the 15th October deadline fast-approaching, LMH & @BrasenoseAdm will be here to answer any of your final questions about Oxford and the application process.

We'll be here till the 12th, and are operating a strict #noquestionissillypolicy, so ask away!

In the meantime, do also check out this webinar on making a competitive application...

[video="youtube;UK6PqVjgRhY"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UK6PqVjgRhY[/video]

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Hi!
I am a post-A level applicant who has achieved A*A*A* in English, History and Psychology last year and am hoping to apply for English Language and Literature. However I am concerned about my GCSE results and how they might compare to other applicants - I got A*A*A*A*6BBBC and a Distinction(A) in ICT. I am wondering if these will put me at a disadvantage at all?
Original post by klin_h
Hi!
I am a post-A level applicant who has achieved A*A*A* in English, History and Psychology last year and am hoping to apply for English Language and Literature. However I am concerned about my GCSE results and how they might compare to other applicants - I got A*A*A*A*6BBBC and a Distinction(A) in ICT. I am wondering if these will put me at a disadvantage at all?

Hi!

I'm a former English student myself, and applied to Oxford with pretty much exactly the same GCSE grades :biggrin: I was also very concerned, but really had no reason to be! Formally we don't ask for a particular set of GCSEs. There's an average, yes, but there's a reason it's an average - loads of people, including myself, do not get it. Whilst having excellent GCSE grades can help to make your application more competitive, they are not the be all end all, and form only one part of a very holistic application process. You're also in a very good position having already achieved your A-levels!

The other thing to say is that we do contextualise your grades, and take mitigating circumstances very seriously where they do exist (this was the case for me).

More info on that here: https://www.ox.ac.uk/admissions/undergraduate/applying-to-oxford/decisions/contextual-data?wssl=1

Hope that helps! :smile:
Hello

Thank you for this thread.

I am applying for a BA in Jurisprudence from Scotland.

Can you please advise when invitations for interviews are sent out as I have concerns regarding booking travel. Do you advise by email or letter?

Many thanks.
Original post by Yoshi123456
Hello

Thank you for this thread.

I am applying for a BA in Jurisprudence from Scotland.

Can you please advise when invitations for interviews are sent out as I have concerns regarding booking travel. Do you advise by email or letter?

Many thanks.

Hi!

It will vary across colleges but normally as a rule we are required to give notice at least a week in advance of your interview. For LMH we send emails out, but do give the college you are applying to a ring to check their policy.

Oxford also publishes an interview timetable so you have a good idea of what dates you will need to book for should you get an interview: http://www.ox.ac.uk/admissions/undergraduate/applying-to-oxford/guide/interviews
While we're on the topic of interviews, the University is running a workshop event for state school students in Year 13 who are applying to Oxford University only it will be held in Oxford. For anybody interested in applying: https://www.pathways.ox.ac.uk/oxford-interviews-workshop/
Hi,

I have been predicted below for my A levels:

Maths: A*
Economics: A*
Physics: M1 (Cambridge Pre-U) - supposedly this is between an A and a B
Further Maths: B

My GCSEs are 7 A* (including 9 in both English and Maths - only 2 were on numerical scale) and 3A (history, music, comp science) and our school did not have any AS level exams at the end of year 12.

I am planning to have my top 2 choices as Oxford Eco and Management and LSE Management. I reckon I will do fairly well at TSA but my worry is does grade "B" as predicted in FM jeopardise my application completely. When I looked at data released by Oxford at whatdotheyknow.com, it makes me think that anyone with any predicted B grade has not been made an offer for this course (possibly ever).

This makes me confused between the below 2 choices that the school Maths department has proposed on which I need to make a call asap:

- 4 A levels predicted at A*, A*, M1 (mid way between A and B) and B Further Maths

OR

- 3 A levels predicted at A*, A*, M1 (mid way between A and B) and 1 AS level predicted at "A" Further Maths

Do I even have a chance at either Oxford Eco and Management or LSE Management with these predicted grades? Fwiw, I am fairly confident of getting A*A*AA in the eventual exams but my confidence is irrelevant at this stage of process with school predicted grade trumping it all against me!

Really appreciate any and all help,

Thanks
Original post by LMH OXFORD
While we're on the topic of interviews, the University is running a workshop event for state school students in Year 13 who are applying to Oxford University only it will be held in Oxford. For anybody interested in applying: https://www.pathways.ox.ac.uk/oxford-interviews-workshop/

Can we only apply for the workshop once we have submitted our UCAS application?
Hi,
I am applying for a degree in the law and was wondering what a competitive and strong LNAT score would be in the MCQs?
Many thanks

Can we only apply for the workshop once we have submitted our UCAS application?
Reply 10
Hi all,

With the 15th October deadline fast-approaching, LMH & @BrasenoseAdm will be here to answer any of your final questions about Oxford and the application process.

We'll be here till the 12th, and are operating a strict #noquestionissillypolicy, so ask away!

In the meantime, do also check out this webinar on making a competitive application...

[video="youtube;UK6PqVjgRhY"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UK6PqVjgRhY[/video]

WHY DID YOU GUYS KILL MY DAD?:eek::colonhash::s-smilie::mad:
HiI am applying for medicine, and I was wondering if you could answer to what extent the BMAT is used post interview in deciding offers?Thanks
Original post by romememe
Hi,
I am applying for a degree in the law and was wondering what a competitive and strong LNAT score would be in the MCQs?
Many thanks

Hi :smile:

There is no specific mark that we recognise as 'strong' or that will guarantee that you will be invited to interview. The tests vary each year, and your test score will be considered alongside the scores of other students who apply for your course.
For A100 medicine, is the UCAS reference read before interview?
Original post by Foreverton
For A100 medicine, is the UCAS reference read before interview?

Hi!

All elements of your UCAS application (personal statement, teacher's reference etc.) will be read ahead of interviews to make a decision about whether you should be invited for one.
Hi,

If an international student is invited for interview and has indicated that they can attend an interview, but then due to complications is unable to attend an interview, how might that affect the student’s application?
Hi :smile:

There is no specific mark that we recognise as 'strong' or that will guarantee that you will be invited to interview. The tests vary each year, and your test score will be considered alongside the scores of other students who apply for your course.

Thanks for your reply :smile:. I understand applicants are considered holistically I, however, just want to know if my MCQ scores mirror that of an average Law student at Oxford. Do have any available statistics that show what the average LNAT score is for last year's offer holders?
Hello
So I would really love to study law at oxford since I’ve attend many open days for it and I really like the course that they are teaching and the whole atmosphere.My main concern is that my gcse are not academic,I have 6 from both lit and Lang,5 RS,B law,B sociology,science D,French B,Btec-2 D* (kinda equal to A*)and I am resisting my maths but I am predicted a 5.I am now doing a levels and I am predicted to get A*AA
Hi!

It will vary across colleges but normally as a rule we are required to give notice at least a week in advance of your interview. For LMH we send emails out, but do give the college you are applying to a ring to check their policy.

Oxford also publishes an interview timetable so you have a good idea of what dates you will need to book for should you get an interview: http://www.ox.ac.uk/admissions/undergraduate/applying-to-oxford/guide/interviews

PS for Law it's usually two weeks.
For the Oxford engineering course the requirements are

[ul]
[li]A-levels: A*A*A to include Mathematics and Physics. The A*s must be in Mathematics, Physics or Further Mathematics[/li]
[li]Advanced Highers: AA/AAB[/li]
[/ul]

I'm currently a Scottish student studying 4 Advanced Highers with all A grades predicted, what would this prediction be in the eyes of an admissions tutor in A-level equiv?
(edited 5 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending