The Student Room Group

How do I move to uni?

Ok... so this may sound like a strange question but it dawned on me recently that I have never actually thought about the process of moving from home to university; i.e. how I would transport all my things to my uni accommodation, if I would need any help, if you usually bring parents/ friends to help, if people do it in more than 1 trip.

I have thought about using various couriers (ones especially for people moving to uni) that will take your boxes from home and deliver them a few days later to your uni, I have also thought about making several train journeys and even asking my parents to take me in the car - but in the nicest way possible I don't know if I'd want them to come with me.

I would appreciate it if you left how you moved from home to uni and how it went for you.

Thanks!
Post all your stuff, i do anyway.
Reply 2
Majority of people "use" their parents. It's very common tbh. We took the ferry from Northern Ireland to Scotland, me and my daddy, and it was quite a fun trip tbh
Reply 3
Original post by random_matt
Post all your stuff, i do anyway.

hi, thanks for the reply, what courier do you recommend?
Original post by Sophee7
hi, thanks for the reply, what courier do you recommend?

UPS, always UPS.
Use interparcel website for courier booking. Vastly cheaper than if you went through UPS yourself.
Reply 5
Original post by random_matt
UPS, always UPS.
Use interparcel website for courier booking. Vastly cheaper than if you went through UPS yourself.

thanks that's great
Original post by Sophee7
Ok... so this may sound like a strange question but it dawned on me recently that I have never actually thought about the process of moving from home to university; i.e. how I would transport all my things to my uni accommodation, if I would need any help, if you usually bring parents/ friends to help, if people do it in more than 1 trip.

I have thought about using various couriers (ones especially for people moving to uni) that will take your boxes from home and deliver them a few days later to your uni, I have also thought about making several train journeys and even asking my parents to take me in the car - but in the nicest way possible I don't know if I'd want them to come with me.

I would appreciate it if you left how you moved from home to uni and how it went for you.

Thanks!

We went in my dad's car. We piled up all my stuff in the car like Tetris. Then we drove the 200 miles on moving in day and unpacked, did the first food shop and my dad left the next day.

Everybody has their parents with them pretty much. They're needed for transport and help packing and unpacking.
Original post by Sophee7

Thanks!

99.9% of students moving to uni go up in the car with their parents. In my case I came with my Dad with most of my stuff and my Mum travelled up in her car with a few things (my parents are divorced). They don't have to stay long after- again mine didn't. My Dad literally dropped my stuff off and went and my Mum made my bed, unpacked my kitchen stuff and that was it.
Parents as well !
They got very emotional
I couldn’t wait !
But yeah I didn’t take a lot of stuff to be fair, meant I had some friends where we went for shopping and things
I only lived an hour away and went home every other weekend though
Original post by Sophee7

Thanks!

Moving in to a new property your parents usually help by taking you and all the stuff you need like pots and pans clothes etc etc up with you if you go home for christmas and want to bring back like a DVD you can take it back with you or get stuff posted.
Reply 10
I got the train with a large suit case and 2 big duffel bags. Then a few weeks later I went back home to collect the rest.

Another alternative you could do is to ask anyone you know who can drive (including friends).

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending