The Student Room Group

GCSE Food nutrition and preparation, anyone?

Ok so Idk if this is the right subject forum to post this in but bear with me here. Ok so I’ll get straight to the point, I take food tech for GCSE’s and we’ve done our mocks for NEA1 and 2. Right now we’re focusing on the real NEA1, right, but after talking to my teacher she’s said that I’ve done too much work. Now I’m one of the students in class that writes a lot and I tend to get high grades because of it but don’t ramble on

Basically I’ve been told I need to have the whole NEA at 6-8 pages ?! And only 1500 words. Like..? Is this right because considering the amount of work she wants me to do, it seems like not enough and I’ve already gone over that limit. I’m at 8 pages and I haven’t even written up my 2nd or 3rd investigation yet.

Someone please confirm whether this is true or not
Original post by GreySkies_22
Ok so Idk if this is the right subject forum to post this in but bear with me here. Ok so I’ll get straight to the point, I take food tech for GCSE’s and we’ve done our mocks for NEA1 and 2. Right now we’re focusing on the real NEA1, right, but after talking to my teacher she’s said that I’ve done too much work. Now I’m one of the students in class that writes a lot and I tend to get high grades because of it but don’t ramble on

Basically I’ve been told I need to have the whole NEA at 6-8 pages ?! And only 1500 words. Like..? Is this right because considering the amount of work she wants me to do, it seems like not enough and I’ve already gone over that limit. I’m at 8 pages and I haven’t even written up my 2nd or 3rd investigation yet.

Is the correct forum dont worry :yep:
not sure of the answer sorry :colondollar: but will give this a :bump: for you in case anyone knows the answer
Reply 2
Original post by CoolCavy
Is the correct forum dont worry :yep:
not sure of the answer sorry :colondollar: but will give this a :bump: for you in case anyone knows the answer

Thank youuu :smile:
Original post by GreySkies_22

Yeah I've been told the same thing. 6-8 pages isn't a requirement, it's just recommended, but you have to have between 1500-2000 words.
Reply 4
Original post by EmmaKate93
Yeah I've been told the same thing. 6-8 pages isn't a requirement, it's just recommended, but you have to have between 1500-2000 words.

Omg really ?! I’m already at 3000 words fml. Also thanksss
Reply 5
I’m so glad someone else has done the same as me. I’ve just finished the research and investigations parts and I’m already way over on the word counts. Have you condensed yours yet?? Idk really know how to
Reply 6
Original post by lc02
I’m so glad someone else has done the same as me. I’ve just finished the research and investigations parts and I’m already way over on the word counts. Have you condensed yours yet?? Idk really know how to

Omg same we’ve done the research part and now we’re on investigation 3 and writing that up. And what do you mean condensed? I have no idea what you mean by that lol. But yeah I’m now really really over the word count and I’ve talked to my teacher who said to just go over later and worry about the word count at the end when we can edit it over. I’m just so confused about the whole thing tbh lol
Reply 7
By condensed I mean like cut it down lol. That’s pretty much what my teacher said as well but I’m going to have to cut out so much and idk what stuff I need to keep or get rid of urghhh. What experiments did you do for yours??
Reply 8
Original post by lc02
By condensed I mean like cut it down lol. That’s pretty much what my teacher said as well but I’m going to have to cut out so much and idk what stuff I need to keep or get rid of urghhh. What experiments did you do for yours??

Oh yeah my teacher said she would go through it with me at the end and she would help to get rid of things but all while, not affecting my grade by doing so. Also, the experiments I did were: 1) experimenting using different flours - seeing how it affect taste and texture obviously, 2) experimenting using different fats - same approach, 3) this time we used different liquids like types of milk or eggs instead of water. But yeah I kinda ran out of ideas tbh for experiments so I’m gonna make up for it with the writing up instead. Oh also my teacher has suggested to me, because I want to get higher grades, she’s helped in booking the science lab for students who want to go after school and do a 4th experiment, so like testing the percentage of fat, etc. I don’t even know tbh
Reply 9
ahhh that sounds really good. I did types of flour too then ratio of butter to flour and water and then time in the oven. She hasn’t told us about doing a fourth one so I kinda assume we’re only doing 3 at our school but doing the percentage of fat is kinda similar to my ratio of flour and butter one and it went pretty well, only thing is that would obviously add more words
Reply 10
Original post by lc02
ahhh that sounds really good. I did types of flour too then ratio of butter to flour and water and then time in the oven. She hasn’t told us about doing a fourth one so I kinda assume we’re only doing 3 at our school but doing the percentage of fat is kinda similar to my ratio of flour and butter one and it went pretty well, only thing is that would obviously add more words

Yeah yours sounds good actually. Hope it goes well lol. Also I’m panicking about NEA2 like the mock we did before was stressful af lmao
Reply 11
Oh yeah ik we did a mock nea2 last year in pairs. It was alright in the end but I had a really good partner when it came to being creative with dishes which I’m not that good at. Hopefully it will be alright though and I hope yours goes well too
Reply 12
Original post by lc02
Oh yeah ik we did a mock nea2 last year in pairs. It was alright in the end but I had a really good partner when it came to being creative with dishes which I’m not that good at. Hopefully it will be alright though and I hope yours goes well too

You had partners? Omg no fair lmao. Nah we just had to do that three hour practical by ourselves and it was stressss
Reply 13
Oh lol we didn’t even do the full practical, we just had to make pasta from scratch and a high skill sauce. I feel so bad for you but at least you know what the real one will be like
Reply 14
Original post by lc02
Oh lol we didn’t even do the full practical, we just had to make pasta from scratch and a high skill sauce. I feel so bad for you but at least you know what the real one will be like

Yeah I suppose so. I can’t believe you didn’t do the full practical !! Omg. Well for the real practical the only thing is that I don’t think it’ll be so bad like before I was freaking out but I think if your organised and make a time plan, as well as practicing the high skill dishes at home beforehand then I think it’ll be fine
Reply 15
ahh ok sounds good

Quick Reply

Latest