The Student Room Group

Law Personal Statement Advice

I’m so stuck!

What sort of things should I be including in my personal statement?

And for volunteer work as a tutor, is there a way to link so I can include it? Or should I scrap it?
Original post by Mandy7367
I’m so stuck!

And for volunteer work as a tutor, is there a way to link so I can include it? Or should I scrap it?

unless its directly relevant get ur tutor to include it in their reference.

heres a basic checklist
1) Why law?
2) What areas most interested in
3) Why study at uni
4) Future career aspirations
5) ACADEMIC - book, documentaries, taster days, etc and discuss reactions and thoughts this should be the main body
6) Skills obtained and link back to law, e.g. public speaking = debating skills required in a lawyer
Reply 2
Original post by anonymous1231231
unless its directly relevant get ur tutor to include it in their reference.

heres a basic checklist
1) Why law?
2) What areas most interested in
3) Why study at uni
4) Future career aspirations
5) ACADEMIC - book, documentaries, taster days, etc and discuss reactions and thoughts this should be the main body
6) Skills obtained and link back to law, e.g. public speaking = debating skills required in a lawyer

Wow that’s great and super helpful, thanks!

You don’t have any book recommendations do you?
Wow that’s great and super helpful, thanks!

You don’t have any book recommendations do you?

honestly read ANYTHING. Any law books, try not to go for the obvious ones or the difficult ones, go on amazon and look.

But, The Rule of Law is very good:smile:
Reply 4
I’m confused!

I’ve been advised by tutors that personal statements should follow a rough 80:20 split (academic:tongue:ersonal).

What sort of things should I be writing and including in the academic section to fill up 80% of my statement?
books, court visits, taster courses
u can make anything academic if u link it to the study of law.
I’m confused!

I’ve been advised by tutors that personal statements should follow a rough 80:20 split (academic:tongue:ersonal).

What sort of things should I be writing and including in the academic section to fill up 80% of my statement?

to be clear, you can really make anything academic if u directly link it back to the study of law. You should talk about books and your reactions to them and why you found it interesting, link it to a possible recent case in the news or a local court case.
Reply 7
to be clear, you can really make anything academic if u directly link it back to the study of law. You should talk about books and your reactions to them and why you found it interesting, link it to a possible recent case in the news or a local court case.

Thank you!!!

Are/have you been a law student by the way? If so, where are/did you study?
Work experience, books, some bs about why you like it i wrote some bs about human rights
Thank you!!!

Are/have you been a law student by the way? If so, where are/did you study?

no, i'm a law applicant this year:smile:
it's fine, there was a good explanation on this link that really helped:
https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=5507514&p=79124154#post79124154
Reply 10
no, i'm a law applicant this year:smile:
it's fine, there was a good explanation on this link that really helped:
https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=5507514&p=79124154#post79124154

Where are you applying to?
Where are you applying to?

oxford, ucl, king's, warwick and lse/nottingham/idk
wbu
Reply 12
oxford, ucl, king's, warwick and lse/nottingham/idk
wbu

Leeds, Chester, Birmingham, Liverpool not sure where else though 😂
Leeds, Chester, Birmingham, Liverpool not sure where else though 😂

complete opposite then:smile:
Kent is a really good one, I think it's supposedly ranked higher than most of your options so far if not all but it's entry requirements is something like AAB-ABB
I’m so stuck!

this has been asked so many times. it is an open secret that most unis don't even pay any attention to the personal statement because they know that teachers, parents and the guy at the off-licence store can possibly be the one writing it for you.

focus on getting the grades. don't worry to much about the personal statement. lousy grades with good personal statement won't get you an offer.
Kent is a really good one, I think it's supposedly ranked higher than most of your options so far if not all but it's entry requirements is something like AAB-ABB

also i meant complete opposite in terms of non LNAT because my issue is too many LNAT
Reply 16

also i meant complete opposite in terms of non LNAT because my issue is too many LNAT

I know the LNAT was just too much for me with everything else I’ve got going on. Yeah my friends at Kent and says it’s good, my problem is distance I’d rather stay closer to home so limits it quite a bit.

Plus I’m only predicted AAB.
Reply 17
Original post by Audrey18
this has been asked so many times. it is an open secret that most unis don't even pay any attention to the personal statement because they know that teachers, parents and the guy at the off-licence store can possibly be the one writing it for you.

focus on getting the grades. don't worry to much about the personal statement. lousy grades with good personal statement won't get you an offer.

Yeah, I have heard this however some still say they look at it. I just want to cover it well and know I tried my best etc
''like that one time I got arrested!"
I know the LNAT was just too much for me with everything else I’ve got going on. Yeah my friends at Kent and says it’s good, my problem is distance I’d rather stay closer to home so limits it quite a bit.

Plus I’m only predicted AAB.

warwick?
exeter
lancaster
leicester
loughborough

Quick Reply