The Student Room Group

STEP Prep Thread 2019

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Rohan77642
For STEP 3 2009, I did the part ii proof without induction. Would I be awarded full marks?
What I basically did was I found out the derivative of Pn(x) and then rearranged the given formula to show that it equal 0.

Doesn't request induction anywhere as far as I can see (I assume you mean STEP III Q7ii), so if you've shown it to be true by other means that's fine.
Original post by _gcx
Doesn't request induction anywhere as far as I can see (I assume you mean STEP III Q7ii), so if you've shown it to be true by other means that's fine.

Yes thank you. I am sorry I forgot to mention the question number in the post.
Bit of a weird question. But for people who have attended oxbridge interviews, would you say STEP better preparation for the interviews or BMO?
For STEP 3 2009, I did the part 7 ii proof without induction. Would I be awarded full marks?
What I basically did was I found out the derivative of Pn(x) and then rearranged the given formula to show that it equal 0.

Proving the given formula doesn't look like it needs induction. But using the formula to deduce P_n is a polynomial of degree n looks like it's much easier by induction than any other method.
Original post by DFranklin
Proving the given formula doesn't look like it needs induction. But using the formula to deduce P_n is a polynomial of degree n looks like it's much easier by induction than any other method.

Agree. I did the second part of ii using induction but the first part of proving the formula, I did it without induction, so I was asking whether they might deduct points because the whole question looks essentially like a very long induction problem.
(edited 5 years ago)
Agree. I did the second part of ii using induction but the first part of proving the formula, I did it without induction, so I was asking whether they might deduct points because the whole question looks essentially like a very long induction problem. And the mark scheme also uses induction hence why I was a little doubtful.

Not sure what mark scheme you're talking about, but neither TSR or the solution provided by Cambridge Assessment use induction to prove the formula.
Original post by DFranklin
Not sure what mark scheme you're talking about, but neither TSR or the solution provided by Cambridge Assessment use induction to prove the formula.

Sorry, it doesn't. I think I was just skimming through the solutions page and looked at the word induction and thought they used it for that part as well.
Just a quick update on the STEP support programme - I have edited the old STEP 2 modules to bring them in line with the new specifications (and removed references to the formula sheet). I have also edited the STEP 3 Statistics module to replace the questions on generating functions and covariance (no longer on the specs). My task from now till christmas is to update the rest of the STEP 3 modules. You should notice the "III" changing to "3" as I update them (the numbering system is changing to reflect what is actually written on the papers - which changed from I, II and III to 1, 2 and 3 in 2008 when they came under the Cambridge Assessment banner rather than OCR).
Where's the STEP gang? :frown: Feels a bit lonely here.
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by I hate maths

Just lurking. I think after MAT this will become a lot more active.
Original post by I hate maths

Was gone for the last few weeks because of the personal statement. My personal statement is such horse crap, that I am glad I have finally sent off my application and can get back to doing maths and not writing essays .
So for anyone that knows the answer to this, do you think it's worth doing MAT even if I don't need it? As in it will lower the offer to warwick and it doesn't look incredibly difficult, I can always revise in the half term. Basically the question is will doing badly harm my application to any uni, cause I don't wanna risk it if I don't need to
Original post by RuneFreeze
So for anyone that knows the answer to this, do you think it's worth doing MAT even if I don't need it? As in it will lower the offer to warwick and it doesn't look incredibly difficult, I can always revise in the half term. Basically the question is will doing badly harm my application to any uni, cause I don't wanna risk it if I don't need to

No. I did **** on it last year and got into Warwick. It affects your chances forOxfordd and imperial
TMUA>MAT for Warwick if they still accept it
Reply 94

For any Uni that doesn't require it, it will only look as a positive. It would be unfair to judge you negatively on your score, since what about the people that could've been worse than you, but just didn't take it.

There's a MAT thread too >> https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=5384022
Thank you for your help, sorry If this is impossible to ask but do you think it will be possible to revise sufficiently for MAT in the half term or maybe slightly before for imperial college and maybe to help with warwick, or is this too ambitious and should change imperial. Side question is will doing badly in MAT negatively affect my chances for cambridge?
Thank you for your help, sorry If this is impossible to ask but do you think it will be possible to revise sufficiently for MAT in the half term or maybe slightly before for imperial college and maybe to help with warwick, or is this too ambitious and should change imperial. Side question is will doing badly in MAT negatively affect my chances for cambridge?

Doing badly in MAT will not affect your chances of Warwick and Cambridge. If you have good A-level predictions, the MAT doesn't mean much for Cambridge and Warwick.

Whether half term is enough for MAT only you can say for yourself. Do a past paper and be honest about where you think you are. If you like Imperial then you should try hard for the MAT because they do look at it seriously. If Imperial is not one of your top choices (Warwick is higher up in preferences) then I guess the MAT doesn't really matter.

However, I will say this. Preparing for MAT will definitely help you for interviews at Cambridge. And tbh, the level of difficulty for math interviews at Cambridge is very high, and so I might even go to the extent of saying that MAT is too easy for cambridge interviews. Most cambridge maths applocants will be doing step questions by now preparing for interviews, and if you can handle STEP 2, then you are very much prepared for the MAT.
Doing badly in MAT will not affect your chances of Warwick and Cambridge. If you have good A-level predictions, the MAT doesn't mean much for Cambridge and Warwick.

Whether half term is enough for MAT only you can say for yourself. Do a past paper and be honest about where you think you are. If you like Imperial then you should try hard for the MAT because they do look at it seriously. If Imperial is not one of your top choices (Warwick is higher up in preferences) then I guess the MAT doesn't really matter.

However, I will say this. Preparing for MAT will definitely help you for interviews at Cambridge. And tbh, the level of difficulty for math interviews at Cambridge is very high, and so I might even go to the extent of saying that MAT is too easy for cambridge interviews. Most cambridge maths applocants will be doing step questions by now preparing for interviews, and if you can handle STEP 2, then you are very much prepared for the MAT.

Thank you so much for your reply; what do you mean by most cambridge maths applicants are doing step questions now? do you mean STEP 1 or 2, cause Idk how I'm supposed to do do step 2 cause I havn't done most of the a level stuff in school yet. I was doing the step foundation questions, which I found fine, so I started going ahead in my normal maths to finish the trigonometry and calculus so I can start on STEP 2. Now I'm doing MAT and am all over the place and a bit stressed lol. Idk what I should be doing, I planned on finishing most of a level maths stuff by half term, then starting properly STEP 2 over half term to prepare for interview but your telling me most are already doing that and eeegh I have MAT to think about and STEP foundation so idk... sorry if that's just a wall of text but I'm just a bit stressed and confused and any advice would be much appreciated

EDIT: If it helps I'm doingmy first MAT 2009 now and haven't really struggled on any question up to F (where I am now) but have had to think fairly hard on each one and taken about 4-5 minutes on each.
(edited 5 years ago)
Thank you so much for your reply; what do you mean by most cambridge maths applicants are doing step questions now? do you mean STEP 1 or 2, cause Idk how I'm supposed to do do step 2 cause I havn't done most of the a level stuff in school yet. I was doing the step foundation questions, which I found fine, so I started going ahead in my normal maths to finish the trigonometry and calculus so I can start on STEP 2. Now I'm doing MAT and am all over the place and a bit stressed lol. Idk what I should be doing, I planned on finishing most of a level maths stuff by half term, then starting properly STEP 2 over half term to prepare for interview but your telling me most are already doing that and eeegh I have MAT to think about and STEP foundation so idk... sorry if that's just a wall of text but I'm just a bit stressed and confused and any advice would be much appreciated

EDIT: If it helps I'm doingmy first MAT 2009 now and haven't really struggled on any question up to F (where I am now) but have had to think fairly hard on each one and taken about 4-5 minutes on each.

I'm not sure if it's true most maths applicants are doing step questions now. I just started uni but I started step prep in January after getting an offer and I ended up doing well enough and that's what I think most people do

I'd say there's quite an overlap between the skillsets MAT and STEP are testing so don't worry about any sense you have of 'MAT practise is infringing on my STEP practis-'.

MAT is 150 mins, MCQs are 40% of the marks and there are 10 of them, so 6 minutes/question is a sensible rate. Thus, 4-5 minutes sounds good : )

Spoiler

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending