The Student Room Group

Funding for a second degree in dental hygiene and therapy

Hi.I have a Bsc in business which I did online with the University of London which was self funded. I’d now like to do a Bsc in dental hygiene and therapy , would I be eligible to apply for the tuition loan and maintenance loan or just the maintenance loan . I’ ve been given different responses on the phone .

Also would I be able to receive funding for a diploma in dental hygiene and therapy too.

I would be grateful for some clarification.

Thank you

Maria
(edited 5 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Hi Maria,

Do you have a specific course and institution in mind? If so we can check this on our database and confirm it for you.

What are the details of the diploma in dental hygiene? Would you be studying this at the same time.

Warm regards,
Tégan
Reply 2
Hi Tegan,

Thank you for your swift response .

I wouldn’t be doing it at the same time I would be doing either one or the other ; I would like to apply for both and consider my options.

The BSc (Hons) in dental hygiene and therapy would be at University of Leeds and the diploma in dental hygiene and therapy would be at the university of Sheffield.

I appreciate your efforts.

Maria
Hi Maria,

As long as you are not currently registered in the profession and meet our other criteria we would be able to offer you a Maintenance Loan, Tuition Fee Loan and any applicable grants for either course. We would not take your previous study into account as it is an exception course.

Warm regards,
Tégan
Reply 4
Hi Tegan.

Thank you for your response and clarifying that for me as I was told something else while speaking to an advisor from student finance .

Whilst speaking to the advisor I was also told that if I wanted to pursue a BSc in Dentistry I would only be eligible to the maintenance loan and not the tuition fee loan , is that correct ?

Kind regards

Maria
Original post by Mimimaria
Hi Tegan.

Thank you for your response and clarifying that for me as I was told something else while speaking to an advisor from student finance .

Whilst speaking to the advisor I was also told that if I wanted to pursue a BSc in Dentistry I would only be eligible to the maintenance loan and not the tuition fee loan , is that correct ?

Kind regards

Maria

Hello,

As you already hold an Equivalent Level Qualification (ELQ) you are entitled to Maintenance Loan only(Grants for Dependants and Disabled Student Allowance if applicable) for the first 4 years of your course. In the 5th year and any subsequent years of your course you are entitled to an income-assessed NHS bursary and, therefore, we award you the reduced rate of maintenance loan.

Thanks, Lynsey.
Reply 6
Hi Lynsey ,

Thank you for your response.

Do you know roughly how much of the maintenance loan I would be entitled to with a dentistry course? I also have 2 children under the age of 5.

Kind regards

Maria
Original post by Mimimaria
Hi Lynsey ,

Thank you for your response.

Do you know roughly how much of the maintenance loan I would be entitled to with a dentistry course? I also have 2 children under the age of 5.

Kind regards

Maria

Hi Mimimaria,

We don't know what the new Maintenance Loan rates will be for 2019/20, these change every year. You can use our online calcaulator for a rough idea here. Our application's normally open end of February/March, if you apply as soon as they come out we will be able to determine the exact amount you would be eligible for.
Thanks,
Claire
Reply 8
Hi, I am wondering if you could help me. I am wanting to study dental hygiene and therapy. However, I have previously studied 2 years of BSc Anatomy but not completed the degree. Would I be able to get funding as a second degree in dental hygiene and therapy. I am aware that I would be able to get funding as a second degree in nursing but I am unsure for dental hygiene and therapy. Hope you can help x
Original post by Alicia08
Hi, I am wondering if you could help me. I am wanting to study dental hygiene and therapy. However, I have previously studied 2 years of BSc Anatomy but not completed the degree. Would I be able to get funding as a second degree in dental hygiene and therapy. I am aware that I would be able to get funding as a second degree in nursing but I am unsure for dental hygiene and therapy. Hope you can help x

Hi,

If you are studying a Dental Hygiene and Therapy course, you can receive the standard package of support from Student Finance England. As long as you are not registered in the profession already, we will disregard your previous study and any equal level qualifications (ELQ).

Thanks, Rebecca.
I have a BSc in Conservation Biology and Ecology, would I be eligible for the tuition loan to cover Dental hygiene and therapy? (As a second degree it is a FND)The student finance website is very confusing and this is my only hindrance with applying to universities (as to self fund is extremely difficult working as a dental nurse...)

Many thanks in advance!

Claire
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by CWillders
I have a BSc in Conservation Biology and Ecology, would I be eligible for the tuition loan to cover Dental hygiene and therapy? (As a second degree it is a FND)The student finance website is very confusing and this is my only hindrance with applying to universities (as to self fund is extremely difficult working as a dental nurse...)

Many thanks in advance!

Claire

Hi Claire,

Can you confirm the course details and university and we can check this for you on the system?

Thanks,
Claire
Hi SFE,I currently hold a BSc Biomedical Science from University of Southampton and I am strongly considering enrolling through clearing on to the BSc Dental Hygiene and Therapy programme at the university of Portsmouth. Would you please be able to advise with regards to what funding would be available to me? Thank you!Phoebe
Original post by PhoebeHafiz96
Hi SFE,I currently hold a BSc Biomedical Science from University of Southampton and I am strongly considering enrolling through clearing on to the BSc Dental Hygiene and Therapy programme at the university of Portsmouth. Would you please be able to advise with regards to what funding would be available to me? Thank you!Phoebe

Hi there,

You would be eligible for full support from Student Finance England, this is one of our exception courses meaning we don't take into account any previous study you have undertaken.

Thanks, Erin
Hi, I currently hold BSc Psychology from The Open University and I am considering to enrol on to the FdSc Oral Health Science programme at the University of Essex. Would you please be able to advise with regards to what funding would be available to me? Thank you.
Hi, I currently hold BSc Psychology from The Open University and I am considering to enrol on to the FdSc Oral Health Science programme at the University of Essex. Would you please be able to advise with regards to what funding would be available to me? Thank you.
Original post by Medinaeli

Hi there, I notice you created a thread so I will answer this query there.
Thanks, Isaac
Hi i currently hold degree in fashion design would i be able to get a loan for my second degree in hygiene? Thank you.
Original post by barsha sunwar
Hi i currently hold degree in fashion design would i be able to get a loan for my second degree in hygiene? Thank you.

Hi, please confirm the full course and university name.
Thanks, Isaac
BSC (HONS) DENTAL HYGIENE 2022-23 at London South Bank University. Thanks

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending