The Student Room Group

How would you feel about a uni who gave you an unconditional offer

Poll

If a uni gives me an unconditional offer they....

Unconditional offers are becoming more and more common.

If you have received an unconditional offer how did you feel?

If the unconditional wasn't from your favourite uni would you feel the pressure to accept it?

Have you had an unconditional offer, accepted it and then regretted it?

Share your thoughts and experiences here :dumbells:

What is an unconditional offer and what to be aware of
An unconditional offer means you've got a place based on your predicted grades. Whatever happens on results day you're in, even if you achieve all U's.

You don't pick an insurance choice because when you accept an unconditional offer, you're in.

An unconditional offer means you can't use adjustment on results day. So if you have exceeded your predicted grades and your offer you're pretty stuck.

They are hard to get out of if you change your mind about your course or university come results day.

Let's chat.....
(edited 5 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

I've been very confused about this, and its probably a stupid question but can you put an unconditional offer as your insurance?

a If you have received an unconditional offer how did you feel?

Depends, on one hand, it can show that your PS/interview went extremely well, on the other it could mean the uni was low on applications so there might be a lot of people on the course who only took it to get into a uni

If the unconditional wasn't from your favourite uni would you feel the pressure to accept it?

Yes, but i would probably wait until i got all my feedback before i accepted any offers

Have you had an unconditional offer, accepted it and then regretted it?

No, currently applying now for unis
Original post by LordLucifer
I've been very confused about this, and its probably a stupid question but can you put an unconditional offer as your insur

Usually you can.

Some universities stipulate their offer is only unconditional if you make them your firm choice, and if you make them only you're insurance then their offer becomes conditional. In this case, you can't put their unconditional offer as your insurance as by doing so it becomes conditional.

If the university gives you an unconditional regardless of whether you make them you're firm or insurance, then you can put it as your insurance. I did this, as it was a uni I was happy with and then I knew I'd be guaranteed a place.
Original post by uptownpunkk
Usually you can.

Some universities stipulate their offer is only unconditional if you make them your firm choice, and if you make them only you're insurance then their offer becomes conditional. In this case, you can't put their unconditional offer as your insurance as by doing so it becomes conditional.

If the university gives you an unconditional regardless of whether you make them you're firm or insurance, then you can put it as your insurance. I did this, as it was a uni I was happy with and then I knew I'd be guaranteed a place.

Thank you so much :smile:
Reply 5
Original post by LordLucifer
I've been very confused about this, and its probably a stupid question but can you put an unconditional offer as your insurance?

I'm currently in an Access to HE course, and my UCAS advisor said that isn't possible. If you receive an unconditional offer and you don't put them as the first choice, they are able to withdraw it.
Original post by mrjrc98
I'm currently in an Access to HE course, and my UCAS advisor said that isn't possible. If you receive an unconditional offer and you don't put them as the first choice, they are able to withdraw it.

That's not true, once they've made the offer and you've accepted it (even as your insurance), they cannot withdraw it (apart from if it's within a few days and a mistake has been made)

Posted from TSR Mobile
The results are quite astonishing tbh.
I know of someone who received an unconditional offer from Birmingham university to do Engineering and I can assure you that the University of Birmingham is the last uni to be "desperate" for students.

It all depends on the University and Course in my opinion.
Original post by Bulletzone
The results are quite astonishing tbh.
I know of someone who received an unconditional offer from Birmingham university to do Engineering and I can assure you that the University of Birmingham is the last uni to be "desperate" for students.

It all depends on the University and Course in my opinion.

I went to Birmingham.

But engineering applicants are dropping and Birmingham is in a highly competitive region. They were the first university to create a serious unconditional offer strategy.

Perhaps they are offering to those students who they believe are extremely capable and will meet their grades come exam time.

How did your friend feel about their unconditional offer? Did they receive any unconditional offers from anywhere else?
For me it depends on the course/uni. I got 4 unconditional offers, and of those 4 two were fairly unpopular unis, one moderately popular and one highly popular and high ranked. I felt a lot better about the moderate and highly popular ones giving me unconditionals than I did about the other 2. But they were all after interviews and with 2 complete A levels already done and at or above the entry requirements and just one I had yet to do but was predicted an A in.
These offers actually made me like them more I accepted the moderate one as I preferred the course and lecturers, and I think it helped my grades more than anything, as in previous years there was a panic about not getting good enough grades, and this year it felt like that pressure was gone and I wound up getting an A* on the exam, my highest grade overall.
Original post by She-Ra
I went to Birmingham.

But engineering applicants are dropping and Birmingham is in a highly competitive region. They were the first university to create a serious unconditional offer strategy.

Perhaps they are offering to those students who they believe are extremely capable and will meet their grades come exam time.

How did your friend feel about their unconditional offer? Did they receive any unconditional offers from anywhere else?

He was very ectastic about the unconditional offer; as he knew the course which he was applying for was quite competitive and it eased a little bit of the pressure to get the conditional grades to be accepted onto the course.
Birmingham was the only University he received an unconditional offer from and only received 3 other conditional offers and 1 denial.
Original post by thaliaevelyn
For me it depends on the course/uni. I got 4 unconditional offers, and of those 4 two were fairly unpopular unis, one moderately popular and one highly popular and high ranked. I felt a lot better about the moderate and highly popular ones giving me unconditionals than I did about the other 2. But they were all after interviews and with 2 complete A levels already done and at or above the entry requirements and just one I had yet to do but was predicted an A in.
These offers actually made me like them more I accepted the moderate one as I preferred the course and lecturers, and I think it helped my grades more than anything, as in previous years there was a panic about not getting good enough grades, and this year it felt like that pressure was gone and I wound up getting an A* on the exam, my highest grade overall.

Thanks so much for sharing :heart:

When you say "unpopular uni" would do you mean and how did you know they were unpopular?

That's great you went with your gut and chose the course that felt right rather than really the pressure to go to the more highly ranked uni.

Have you started? How are you finding it?
Original post by Bulletzone
He was very ectastic about the unconditional offer; as he knew the course which he was applying for was quite competitive and it eased a little bit of the pressure to get the conditional grades to be accepted onto the course.
Birmingham was the only University he received an unconditional offer from and only received 3 other conditional offers and 1 denial.

That's great, unconditionals can definitely ease the pressure, especially if that's where you want to go. Did he choose Birmingham?
Unconditional offers are a blessing
Original post by She-Ra
That's great, unconditionals can definitely ease the pressure, especially if that's where you want to go. Did he choose Birmingham?

Yeah he chose birmingham in the end.

Sidenote: How do I change the formatting style of TSR to the older version? The new Look is very confusing for me and some buttons are not loading.
Original post by She-Ra
Thanks so much for sharing :heart:

When you say "unpopular uni" would do you mean and how did you know they were unpopular?

That's great you went with your gut and chose the course that felt right rather than really the pressure to go to the more highly ranked uni.

Have you started? How are you finding it?

When I say "unpopular" I mean both size and ranking. They were small unis who weren't doing great on the league tables and student rankings.
Started a few weeks ago. Loving it so far. The course is amazing, I love the three books we're doing in this first module, the lecturers do a good job of making it interesting and we've been given a detailed timetable for the year that looks far more manageable than the highest ranked uni. It's also a little smaller than the highest which means more opportunity for 1 on 1 time and longer office hours. (highest was over 20000 students, this one is around 10000, the other unis were around 5000 students. office hours for highest were one hour a week for the whole department and at this uni each lecturer does 4 hours a week plus two hours of tutorials)
My daughter got an unconditional offer last year but there was a £3000 award on offer for getting a minimum set of results. She took the offer got the award and is really happy and doing amazingly well. She did want this offer and was very happy to have an unconditional it certainly made for a much less stressful time in her last year of sixth form.
I’d be very happy to see my youngest get the same this year.
It’s not always a bad thing
I'm currently applying, but I'd like to think that unless I really love the uni and it's at least my 2nd choice then I'd maybe accept the unconditional. (Birmingham is the place I definitely want to go so I'm really hoping for an unconditional to take the pressure off and give me a form of motivation to get higher grades!:tongue:) I personally don't think that uni's are desperate for applicants if they hand out unconditionals, but I do think that they're depserate to try and lure some of the more higher academically achieving students into attending. I know that a lot of people think that unis are preying on a student's insecurities, but if you put an unconditional as a conditional, realistically, the uni probably would still offer you a place come results day. That's my take om it anyways :smile:
Original post by cloudinthesky
My daughter got an unconditional offer last year but there was a £3000 award on offer for getting a minimum set of results. She took the offer got the award and is really happy and doing amazingly well. She did want this offer and was very happy to have an unconditional it certainly made for a much less stressful time in her last year of sixth form.
I’d be very happy to see my youngest get the same this year.
It’s not always a bad thing

I think that is extremely responsible of the university re: creating an award for the applicant still meeting their offer. It works two ways - inspires the applicant to still work really hard (UCAS data shows that those accepting an offer miss their offer by 1 or 2 grades) and they achieve what they are capable of. It also means the university maintains that average entry tariff through offering unconditionals which doesn't effect their ranking.

I'm really happy for your daughter. That's brilliant.

Out of interest, if your daughter had received that offer from her least favourite university do you feel she would have felt influenced/ under pressure to accept it?
Original post by thaliaevelyn
When I say "unpopular" I mean both size and ranking. They were small unis who weren't doing great on the league tables and student rankings.
Started a few weeks ago. Loving it so far. The course is amazing, I love the three books we're doing in this first module, the lecturers do a good job of making it interesting and we've been given a detailed timetable for the year that looks far more manageable than the highest ranked uni. It's also a little smaller than the highest which means more opportunity for 1 on 1 time and longer office hours. (highest was over 20000 students, this one is around 10000, the other unis were around 5000 students. office hours for highest were one hour a week for the whole department and at this uni each lecturer does 4 hours a week plus two hours of tutorials)

So happy to hear you're loving life at uni. That's fabulous! Sounds like you made the perfect choice for you :h:

Latest

Trending

Trending