The Student Room Group

A level choices

Im in year 11 and i am thinking about a levels however I am not really sure what I want to do in the future. I would like to do history a level, i have been told that history works well with english lit however I really don't like english. What subject goes well with history at a level?
I am in Year 13 now, and my A level choices were English Lit, Geography and History. I have been enjoying History a ton, and it really helps to develop your writing style and confidence in writing concisely and coherently- English too, though I have a love//hate relationship with it. The course for History (depending on where you go for Sixth Form) is really interesting too, far better than secondary school imo.

In terms of pairing History with another subject, English is a good choice (but if you dislike it I wouldn't suggest taking it. It requires a lot of dedication and an actual interest in the subject, which I have been feigning for the past year lol :smile: ) My advice would be to pick History and really anything else you are interested in. As I want to do Law the subjects I have chosen are all suited specifically for it, but as I'm not sure what you want to do I would recommend perhaps a wider selection (e.g. the sciences, or English language perhaps?).

Taking both Geography and History is challenging, but as I have a passion for both it has been relatively easy for me. If you can handle the coursework, I would suggest Geography also.

Sorry this was so long lol. I'd just choose whatever you have an interest in at secondary tbh. If you're not sure of what career you want to have, choose a varied and interesting selection that will benefit you in the long run.

Hopefully this long-winded reply helps.
Reply 2
Original post by CUB October
I am in Year 13 now, and my A level choices were English Lit, Geography and History. I have been enjoying History a ton, and it really helps to develop your writing style and confidence in writing concisely and coherently- English too, though I have a love//hate relationship with it. The course for History (depending on where you go for Sixth Form) is really interesting too, far better than secondary school imo.

In terms of pairing History with another subject, English is a good choice (but if you dislike it I wouldn't suggest taking it. It requires a lot of dedication and an actual interest in the subject, which I have been feigning for the past year lol :smile: ) My advice would be to pick History and really anything else you are interested in. As I want to do Law the subjects I have chosen are all suited specifically for it, but as I'm not sure what you want to do I would recommend perhaps a wider selection (e.g. the sciences, or English language perhaps?).

Taking both Geography and History is challenging, but as I have a passion for both it has been relatively easy for me. If you can handle the coursework, I would suggest Geography also.

Sorry this was so long lol. I'd just choose whatever you have an interest in at secondary tbh. If you're not sure of what career you want to have, choose a varied and interesting selection that will benefit you in the long run.

Thank you!! yes i enjoy maths and science so maybe i will choose one of them. would you think that economics might compliment history and maths?
Original post by student4467
Thank you!! yes i enjoy maths and science so maybe i will choose one of them. would you think that economics might compliment history and maths?

Economic, History and Maths sounds like a great combination to me! It covers a broad range of skills that don't necessarily restrict you, and it will always keep you interested. As much as I love my subjects, constant writing can become tedious. But it'll pay off (I hope :smile: ).

If you're confident in your maths skills (linking with economics) then I'd encourage you to go for it. History should be the only subject you have coursework for, so you'll have time to revise your other subjects and become an all round badass :biggrin:.
Sorry for the late reply also.
What do you think you'd like to do at uni?
Original post by student4467
Im in year 11 and i am thinking about a levels however I am not really sure what I want to do in the future. I would like to do history a level, i have been told that history works well with english lit however I really don't like english. What subject goes well with history at a level?

I sat my a levels this year, and did history, english and maths. English and history do go pretty well together I have to admit, especially because one of the texts we did in english was from the same period we were studying in history (jacobean era). A perk of doing two essay subjects is that your writing improves more rapidly because you're constantly doing essays. That being said, two essay subjects can be very full on (when it got intense I'd have 4 essays a week), and a LOT of reading. Also, if I'm honest I really hated eng lit a level, and I loved it at gcse. If you don't like something at gcse, I guarantee you'll hate it at a level. Everyone says it and no one believes it before they do it, but really, do A Levels you enjoy (as long as they're relatively 'serious' ones, if you want to go into an academic based career). I know people who did like geography, biology and history; maths, further maths, physics and history; psychology, maths, history; rs, french, history. My only advice is history is very content heavy so maybe have another subject that's not as content heavy to ease off things. Best of luck!!
Reply 6
Economic, History and Maths sounds like a great combination to me! It covers a broad range of skills that don't necessarily restrict you, and it will always keep you interested. As much as I love my subjects, constant writing can become tedious. But it'll pay off (I hope :smile: ).

If you're confident in your maths skills (linking with economics) then I'd encourage you to go for it. History should be the only subject you have coursework for, so you'll have time to revise your other subjects and become an all round badass :biggrin:.
Sorry for the late reply also.

ahah thank you so much x
Reply 7
Original post by india2203
I sat my a levels this year, and did history, english and maths. English and history do go pretty well together I have to admit, especially because one of the texts we did in english was from the same period we were studying in history (jacobean era). A perk of doing two essay subjects is that your writing improves more rapidly because you're constantly doing essays. That being said, two essay subjects can be very full on (when it got intense I'd have 4 essays a week), and a LOT of reading. Also, if I'm honest I really hated eng lit a level, and I loved it at gcse. If you don't like something at gcse, I guarantee you'll hate it at a level. Everyone says it and no one believes it before they do it, but really, do A Levels you enjoy (as long as they're relatively 'serious' ones, if you want to go into an academic based career). I know people who did like geography, biology and history; maths, further maths, physics and history; psychology, maths, history; rs, french, history. My only advice is history is very content heavy so maybe have another subject that's not as content heavy to ease off things. Best of luck!!

Yh i feel if i do english lit which i really don't enjoy i wouldn't even want to do the work or revision. Thanks for the advice x
Reply 8
Original post by ZdYnm8vuNR
What do you think you'd like to do at uni?

I dont really know to be honest so i feel like choosing my a levels will rly impact what i do x

Quick Reply

Latest