The Student Room Group

Can anyone show the solution to this problem?

x-2py=-3
3x-2y+q=-4
Are simultaneous equations where p and q are constants.
The solution to these simultaneous equations is x=1,y=q. Find the values of p and q.
Original post by Farhan01
x-2py=-3
3x-2y+q=-4
The solution to these simultaneous equations is x=1,y=q. Find the values of p and q.

x-2py=-3
3x-2y+q=-4 rearrange this to 3x - 2y = -4 - q

How do we get the same x coefficient in the two equations?
Replace each 'x' term with just '1' (essentially subbing in x=1) and do the same for the y's (i.e. replace the y's with q's) and then solve for p and q. I don't really know how far you got into this so can't give any more specific advice.
I think I have a solution:
substitute your x and y values so the equations become

1-2pq=-3
3-2q+q=-4 which then becomes 3-q=-4 when the q values are simplified

You would then solve this to find that q=7 and substitue this value into the other equation.

the other equation would then become 1-14p=-3
14p=4 so that means that p=4/14
Reply 4
x-2py=-3
3x-2y+q=-4

Funny the world's best mathematician is asking help on TSR.
Reply 5
Original post by areeja1510
I think I have a solution:
substitute your x and y values so the equations become

1-2pq=-3
3-2q+q=-4 which then becomes 3-q=-4 when the q values are simplified

You would then solve this to find that q=7 and substitue this value into the other equation.

the other equation would then become 1-14p=-3
14p=4 so that means that p=4/14

Well, to be honest, I did this way and got the same answer. However, the answer in my textbook is p=2 and q=-3
A-Levels are such a pain! Even the simplest problems are twisted :'(
Reply 6
Original post by Fas
Replace each 'x' term with just '1' (essentially subbing in x=1) and do the same for the y's (i.e. replace the y's with q's) and then solve for p and q. I don't really know how far you got into this so can't give any more specific advice.

Already did that but the answers don't match with that of my textbook. Can you show me the solution? the answers are p=2 and q=-3
Reply 7
Original post by Turquaz
Funny the world's best mathematician is asking help on TSR.

Do you have any solution for this bro? A-Level maths are killing me!
I got q as 7 and p as 2/7. Just wanna be right before I help :smile:
Reply 9
Original post by ChrisSharman
I got q as 7 and p as 2/7. Just wanna be right before I help :smile:

I got the same answers though but the answer in my textbook is p=2 and q=-3
I got the same answers though but the answer in my textbook is p=2 and q=-3

You, I and others got the same answer so it is correct and the textbook is probably wrong. Which is especially more likely if it is one of the new spec ones directly from the exam board as they tend to have more mistakes
The solution in the book is definitely incorrect because the second equation is only dependent on q and there can only be one point such that (1,q) lies on 3x-2y+q=-4. You can try and experiment by changing the value of q and graphing the equation each time. You will see that the point (1,q) only lies on the line when q=7.
Reply 12
Thank you all. You guys are right, the answers in my textbook are definitely wrong.
A-Levels are already tough and on top of that, the textbooks aren't reliable. Really feel hopeless :'(
Thank you all. You guys are right, the answers in my textbook are definitely wrong.
A-Levels are already tough and on top of that, the textbooks aren't reliable. Really feel hopeless :'(

Yeah that's why my teacher said the school didn't bother doing an order in for the textbooks cause new spec ones have mistakes and they get fixed afterwards but no point spending money on books with mistakes and having loads of them
Reply 14
Original post by Iahmed512
Yeah that's why my teacher said the school didn't bother doing an order in for the textbooks cause new spec ones have mistakes and they get fixed afterwards but no point spending money on books with mistakes and having loads of them

I feel like I wasted my money :frown: Moreover I can't even find a single solution bank for the new textbooks on the internet.
I feel like I wasted my money :frown: Moreover I can't even find a single solution bank for the new textbooks on the internet.

Is it the Pearson book? If so, this might help. http://adamcreen.blogspot.com/2017/07/pearson-textbook-corrections.html

Quick Reply

Latest