The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Oh yeah I forgot about that.
Reply 21
Hii

Would i get an interview with a UKCAT of 2530 band 2?? I have 8A* and 2As at GCSE 4As at AS and predicted 3A*s with a pretty strong PS, its just my UKCAT bringing me down
Reply 22
Original post by RiaP123
Hii

Would i get an interview with a UKCAT of 2530 band 2?? I have 8A* and 2As at GCSE 4As at AS and predicted 3A*s with a pretty strong PS, its just my UKCAT bringing me down

Newcastle solely select on UKCAT, ans it is unlikely your score would make their cut off, I'm afraid. You have many safer options
Should I apply with 2500 as my UKCAT score band 3? Or is it not worth it

Was looking at stats from the previous year and UKCAT was 2580 for the 5 year cutoff.. so not sure about this year
Hi, international student on a gap year here.

Achieved A*AA (Maths, Bio and Chem respectively and an A in AS Physics).
GCSES :- 3A*3A (had to move so couldn't do the other 4)
UKCAT - 2740 with a Band 2.

Should I be considering somewhere else or can I apply to Newcastle? Also, I noticed that the resit policy says that candidates must have achieved their A-level grades in their first sitting. Does this apply to AS grades as well? I did 3 AS modules under the CIE when I was 15 but then moved to Wales and had to do A-levels completely under the WJEC. Would that mean that count as a "resit", and therefore require me to submit an extreme extenuating circumstances form? Any feedback would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
Reply 25
Last year a 4 section average of 680 was the cutoff. It is unlikely to be higher than that this year given the strangely low mean for the UKCAT this year. Your SJT is not relevent.

I say that with confidence given I have checked very carefully due to having a band 4 SJT against an otherwise good 2870 in the UKCAT.
My UKCAT is 3150 from memory - does that basically mean I have a 100% chance of getting an interview?
Reply 27
Original post by McGravy
Last year a 4 section average of 680 was the cutoff. It is unlikely to be higher than that this year given the strangely low mean for the UKCAT this year. Your SJT is not relevent.

I say that with confidence given I have checked very carefully due to having a band 4 SJT against an otherwise good 2870 in the UKCAT.

Last year the cut off was 645, the year before 667 (though there was a bit of jiggery-pokery here, as the published cut off was 700 until around results day, when Newcastle suddenly invited a few more people for interview, hence dropping the eventual cut off. There were however, many people with higher scores than this who missed and interview as first time round you needed 700, and by the time results day came about, they had already firmed offers elsewhere). Last year Newcastle interviewed more people as a deliberate means of lowering their UKCAT cut off
Reply 28
Last year international cut off was 680. Home was 645.
Hi,
I’ve applied to this course through the partners programme so I only need ABB if they accept my application through there and I am currently waiting to her back from them. At GCSE I got 2 7’s, an 8, 4 A*s, 2 distinction*’s, and then in two short courses got an A* and a B. I did my UKCAT and got 2550, my verbal reasoning brought my score down quite a bit. I also got a SJT band 2. I was wondering whether applying for the Partners programme lowers the UKCAT threshold I would need to get in. Does anyone know anything about this?
Many thanks :smile:
Reply 30
Original post by lol0902
Hi,
I’ve applied to this course through the partners programme so I only need ABB if they accept my application through there and I am currently waiting to her back from them. At GCSE I got 2 7’s, an 8, 4 A*s, 2 distinction*’s, and then in two short courses got an A* and a B. I did my UKCAT and got 2550, my verbal reasoning brought my score down quite a bit. I also got a SJT band 2. I was wondering whether applying for the Partners programme lowers the UKCAT threshold I would need to get in. Does anyone know anything about this?
Many thanks :smile:

Yes, it usually lowers the threshold. I think it was 632.5 last year, 1950 the year before, 2400 for 2016 entry
Original post by GANFYD
Yes, it usually lowers the threshold. I think it was 632.5 last year, 1950 the year before, 2400 for 2016 entry

Thank you:smile: i average 637.5 so hopefully that is high enough
also applying to a100. 2.1 Genetics, Glasgow. Biotech and Management Masters, predicted distinction.
UKCAT: 3020 band 1
Would a 2740 be considered good enough now that the final deciles are out?
Reply 34
Original post by Backyakken
Would a 2740 be considered good enough now that the final deciles are out?

Most likely yeah. Last year the initial cutoff was 2720 and the mean was higher last year so you would probably be okay.
Reply 35
Original post by GANFYD

Something a little odd about the thresholds for interview at Newcastle last year. I suspect the initial cut offs were around 685/690 and something like 650 for Partners applicants (who sometimes require a lower score to be interviewed). Then much later in the cycle for whatever reason candidates with lower scores were interviewed. However I wonder if all candidates who applied with scores above the second lower threshold were intervewed? I have a feeling that this was not the case?
Reply 36
Original post by Cas22
Something a little odd about the thresholds for interview at Newcastle last year. I suspect the initial cut offs were around 685/690 and something like 650 for Partners applicants (who sometimes require a lower score to be interviewed). Then much later in the cycle for whatever reason candidates with lower scores were interviewed. However I wonder if all candidates who applied with scores above the second lower threshold were intervewed? I have a feeling that this was not the case?

This happened 2 years ago, when initial cut off was 700 and much later in the cycle people with lower scores were invited to interview, but no, you are right, not all of those between the first cut off and the second were invited, as many had already accepted offers elsewhere.
Last year, I think they just interviewed more people to ensure a lower cut off from the beginning
(edited 5 years ago)
Interviews started coming out last week of November last year
no applicant portal for newcastle medicine?
Original post by GANFYD
This happened 2 years ago, when initial cut off was 700 and much later in the cycle people with lower scores were invited to interview, but no, you are right, not all of those between the first cut off and the second were invited, as many had already accepted offers elsewhere.
Last year, I think they just interviewed more people to ensure a lower cut off from the beginning

It works on the cohort applying. Last year, those that applied had a lower UKCAT scores than in previous years.

If this year everyone who applies, for example, is in like the 7th decile up then naturally the cut off is higher. It depends on who applies and what the score of the collective cohort is.

Equally so, everyone applying could be in the 3rd decile (unlikely of course) and so the threshold would be very, very low.

Latest

Trending

Trending