The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
Original post by Studio ghibli
Barts is also another one I wanted to apply to, is it also unlikely that I’ll reach the interview stage? (All my tariff points will based on the predicted grades)

Here are examples of previous successful combinations of tariff and UKCAT score, so yes, I think it highly unlikely you would receive and interview here either
http://www.smd.qmul.ac.uk/undergraduate/courses/admissions-statistics-for-medicine--dentistry/
Reply 61
Original post by astroworld
Can someone please tell me which med schools offer places via clearing? I was thinking of getting my A level results- and if they were high enough- I would apply via clearing. Also, what happens in clearing and are there any other things u need to have apart from the grades to be eligible for clearing?

Thanks! :smile:

Pretty sure, SGUL have a few clearing places every year
Original post by GANFYD
God, that makes me feel old!
"back to the salt mines. Resume work, usually with some reluctance, as in With my slavedriver of a boss, even on Saturdays it's back to the salt mines. This term alludes to the Russian practice of punishing prisoners by sending them to work inthe salt mines of Siberia. Today the term is only used ironically."
I am a GP in my day job, mum, wife, friend, TSRian in the rest of my life!

You are such a lovely person. Yes you may be working super hard but I assure you it pays off, Im sure I am not the only one who will remember you for your help in the future! Thanks for the new phrase also! Probably going to use it when Im a junior doctor lol. Its also nice to know more about you! Thank you for all your help. Alot of schools dont know the information necessary about the ever changing admissions for medical schools here. So alot of students feel lost and panicked when october comes around and they dont know where to apply to (me last year)! The universities are also always changing their entry requirements, and thanks to tsr it can really help with the decision and gamble of where to apply.Without your help in giving people insight on med admissions, it would be so much harder to find the info alone! For me as a resitter, andthe fact that bristol rejected me last year, I really have only 4 universities that I CAN apply to. So this year was easier to narrow down my choices as they were my only choices haha!!
Reply 63
Original post by queenrich1
what do u think about aston? or do u have anything else instead of manchester- they did say lower ukcat have holistic approach

How does the holistic approach work? How are you assessed in this?

because I only have a UKCAT of 2390 band 3, 2A* 6A 2B's GCSE, 3 a'S predicted
Reply 64
Original post by Linalolo
You are such a lovely person. Yes you may be working super hard but I assure you it pays off, Im sure I am not the only one who will remember you for your help in the future! Thanks for the new phrase also! Probably going to use it when Im a junior doctor lol. Its also nice to know more about you! Thank you for all your help. Alot of schools dont know the information necessary about the ever changing admissions for medical schools here. So alot of students feel lost and panicked when october comes around and they dont know where to apply to (me last year)! The universities are also always changing their entry requirements, and thanks to tsr it can really help with the decision and gamble of where to apply.Without your help in giving people insight on med admissions, it would be so much harder to find the info alone! For me as a resitter, andthe fact that bristol rejected me last year, I really have only 4 universities that I CAN apply to. So this year was easier to narrow down my choices as they were my only choices haha!!

Thank you, that is very kind and it is comments like that that make the 500th repetition of a piece of information that is literally 2 posts up worthwhile.
There are definitely more med schools taking resit applicants now:
Sheffield, HYMS, UEA, Keele (but only with achieved A*AA), Liverpool, Plymouth, Exeter, ARU and BSMS and Lancaster if you do BMAT. (I've omitted Bristol as per your post). I don't know if your stats fit any of those, but they assess in pretty diverse ways?
Reply 65
Original post by Vvcfgjj
How does the holistic approach work? How are you assessed in this?

because I only have a UKCAT of 2390 band 3, 2A* 6A 2B's GCSE, 3 a'S predicted

Manchester say this about their holistic route:
"What if my score does not meet the threshold?
We recognise that everyone has a different set of skills. If your UKCAT does not fall within the top third of results nationally then we will include it as part of a holistic assessment using all the information available to us to arrive at a decision (for example, GCSE grades, A-level profile, additional qualifications, NAI form etc). We expect to invite 500-600 applicants to interview on this selection route."

Then read all the FAQs to see the sort of thing they look for.
Med school websites are a useful source of lots of information

https://www.bmh.manchester.ac.uk/medicine/study/undergraduate/apply/faqs/
Reply 66

Akso, are you sure Bristol won't accept a reapplication from you? I'm pretty sure they don't specify that. Their website says:
"We do not consider previous interview performance for those applicants who were interviewed in previous cycles", which certainly suggests you can have a second interview
Original post by GANFYD
Thank you, that is very kind and it is comments like that that make the 500th repetition of a piece of information that is literally 2 posts up worthwhile.
There are definitely more med schools taking resit applicants now:
Sheffield, HYMS, UEA, Keele (but only with achieved A*AA), Liverpool, Plymouth, Exeter, ARU and BSMS and Lancaster if you do BMAT. (I've omitted Bristol as per your post). I don't know if your stats fit any of those, but they assess in pretty diverse ways?

Yup! I did my research lol. My GCSE's arent good enough for UEA. Plymouth and liverpool said no. Exeter is a weird and ridiculous uni to apply to, which we talked about maybe two weeks ago lol. I am applying to ARU sheffield kings and HYMS . Fingers crossed... Although its a bit of a reach .. Lets just hope for the best I dont want to jinx anything this year. If it doesnt happen this time around Ill find another way
Hi, I’m UK ENGLAND applicant,
My stats are
GCSE’s: 8A*s 2A’s 5in English language (C)
UKCAT:677 Avg band 2
GOOD Personal statement lots of extra curricular and work at a care home, done hospital placement and been an RAF CADET for 2 years + DfE bronze

Applying to Newcastle (partners application), Bristol (school qualified for contextual), Plymouth (contextual I think), ARU

I applied to these due to my English grade of a 5. Everywhere asks for a minimum 6 however these asked for a minimum of 4 and so do StAndrews and Aberdeen so had 6 options.

Have I made the right choices, done tons of research but the information is endless and ever changing and I constantly feel I may have missed something. Do I stand a chance at where ive appliedd etc ? Any help etc plzzz
Hello,

Here are my stats:

A Level Predicted: A*A*A
GCSE: 6A*, 2A, 3B
UKCAT: 2760, 690 average, Band 1.

I'm also applying for BSMS and UCL, but I'm stuck for another two choices. Do you think it would be worth applying to Kings?

Thank you :smile:
Reply 70
Yup! I did my research lol. My GCSE's arent good enough for UEA. Plymouth and liverpool said no. Exeter is a weird and ridiculous uni to apply to, which we talked about maybe two weeks ago lol. I am applying to ARU sheffield kings and HYMS . Fingers crossed... Although its a bit of a reach .. Lets just hope for the best I dont want to jinx anything this year. If it doesnt happen this time around Ill find another way

The best of luck with your application, here's hoping for at least one offer!
Reply 71
Original post by Haaris Khan
Hi, I’m UK ENGLAND applicant,
My stats are
GCSE’s: 8A*s 2A’s 5in English language (C)
UKCAT:677 Avg band 2
GOOD Personal statement lots of extra curricular and work at a care home, done hospital placement and been an RAF CADET for 2 years + DfE bronze

Applying to Newcastle (partners application), Bristol (school qualified for contextual), Plymouth (contextual I think), ARU

I applied to these due to my English grade of a 5. Everywhere asks for a minimum 6 however these asked for a minimum of 4 and so do StAndrews and Aberdeen so had 6 options.

Have I made the right choices, done tons of research but the information is endless and ever changing and I constantly feel I may have missed something. Do I stand a chance at where ive appliedd etc ? Any help etc plzzz

Dependent on your predicted A levels (used with UKCAT by Aberdeen), any of the med schools listed should give you a good chance of interview
Original post by GANFYD
Dependent on your predicted A levels (used with UKCAT by Aberdeen), any of the med schools listed should give you a good chance of interview

My a levels are biology, maths and chemistry with predictions A*A*A respectively.
Thanks a lot appreciate it. Just need reassurance or any info I’m missing so thanks a lot. Fastest reply I’ve ever had thanks!
Reply 73
Original post by raincovi
Hello,

Here are my stats:

I'm also applying for BSMS and UCL, but I'm stuck for another two choices. Do you think it would be worth applying to Kings?

Yes, based on the info we have been able to find about Kings, I think you would stand a reasonable chance of an interview.
Otherwise anywhere except Cardiff, Oxford and Exeter would seem OK, dependent on your subject grades at GCSE
Your UKCAT is good enough that you so not need to rely on 2 BMAT unis, which is always a risk, as you do not have your marks when you apply
Reply 74
Original post by Haaris Khan
My a levels are biology, maths and chemistry with predictions A*A*A respectively.
Thanks a lot appreciate it. Just need reassurance or any info I’m missing so thanks a lot. Fastest reply I’ve ever had thanks!

Procrastinating!!
Original post by raincovi
Hello,

Here are my stats:

I'd say you have a fair shot at Kings
Hi! So I did my UKCAT and got disappointingly low scores (2340). I am an international student and decided to only apply to one UKCAT uni. Plymouth says they don't require international students to take the UKCAT but I already did, will they consider it? Queen's Belfast apparently is a good uni to apply with low scores to, would I have a shot? And finally, out of the two, which one should I pick?

Ohh also, I have really good IB predicted grades, decent IGCSEs and hopefully a good personal statement.

thankssss
Original post by frustratedTeen
Hi! So I did my UKCAT and got disappointingly low scores (2340). I am an international student and decided to only apply to one UKCAT uni. Plymouth says they don't require international students to take the UKCAT but I already did, will they consider it? Queen's Belfast apparently is a good uni to apply with low scores to, would I have a shot? And finally, out of the two, which one should I pick?

Ohh also, I have really good IB predicted grades, decent IGCSEs and hopefully a good personal statement.

thankssss

What are your GCSEs and IB predicteds exactly.
Plymouth won't look at them if they don't need them. Check out BSMS they don't need a test either.
Are you taking the BMAT?
Do Plymouth look at predicted grades? Or are they like Keele?
Original post by GANFYD
Yes, based on the info we have been able to find about Kings, I think you would stand a reasonable chance of an interview.
Otherwise anywhere except Cardiff, Oxford and Exeter would seem OK, dependent on your subject grades at GCSE
Your UKCAT is good enough that you so not need to rely on 2 BMAT unis, which is always a risk, as you do not have your marks when you apply

Okay, thank you so much for your help! :smile:

Latest

Trending

Trending