The Student Room Group

Lancaster or Manchester for PPE for insurance?

PPE = Philosophy, politics and economics

Which university would be a better choice and why?

Thank you!
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by simplicity30

is there anything that is particularly important to you in a university?
Original post by claireestelle
is there anything that is particularly important to you in a university?

It would mostly be the quality of teaching, as well as the social life and environment.
It would mostly be the quality of teaching, as well as the social life and environment.

Lancaster is a big town whereas as manchester is a big city so although both have plenty of places for nights out , manchester is much bigger. Have you visited either? It'd be easily possible to see both in one day as it's not a bad drive
Lancaster is a big town whereas as manchester is a big city so although both have plenty of places for nights out , manchester is much bigger. Have you visited either? It'd be easily possible to see both in one day as it's not a bad drive

Oh alright. Unfortunately, i’m an international student so I have only been to London and Bath in the UK. I wouldn’t mind both environments from what you said, but I would like to know how the teaching quality is like too. Thank you!
Oh alright. Unfortunately, i’m an international student so I have only been to London and Bath in the UK. I wouldn’t mind both environments from what you said, but I would like to know how the teaching quality is like too. Thank you!

Look up their national student survey results although they can be quite subjective.
You really dont want to live that far in northern england, its quite isolated a bit poor and weather is crap. Your also farrrr away from anything in lancaster, its village living.

Lancaster plently of nights out? Big city?...horrible information no offense.
Original post by Realitysreflexx
Lancaster plently of nights out? Big city?...horrible information no offense.

She is saying Lancaster is a big town (technically it's a city of 140,000 people) while Manchester is a big city, and while Lancaster has plenty of places for a night out Manchester has more. That's hardly 'horrible advice'.
Original post by ageshallnot
She is saying Lancaster is a big town (technically it's a city of 140,000 people) while Manchester is a big city, and while Lancaster has plenty of places for a night out Manchester has more. That's hardly 'horrible advice'.

Lancaster doesn't really have plenty of places for a night out compared to nottingham, leeds, manchester, london really almost anywhere in the country lol. Its in the middle of nowhere.
PPE = Philosophy, politics and economics

Thank you!

Hi there,

It is great to hear you are considering your options and I understand the difficulty if you have not been able to visit either University.

As a current student I think you have made an excellent decision considering Lancaster University. I am very happy here and am enjoying my course and living in Lancaster. There is always lots going on both on campus thanks to the 9 colleges that provide a great community feel and in the city.

Academically I am so pleased to be studying at a Top 10 University. As a Management School student I can tell you first hand how fantastic the support is. From dedicated careers support to academic advisors and fantastic lecturers, coupled with great societies, in my opinion it is a great place to study and gear you up for life after University.

I would suggest having another look at course outlines, official websites and virtual tours for both Universities to ensure you make the right choice as after all you will be spending a few years of your life in your chosen place. The links for Lancaster Universities official pages can be found here:

http://www.lancaster.ac.uk/study/undergraduate/courses/philosophy-politics-and-economics-ba-hons-l0v0/

https://www.lancaster.ac.uk/virtual-open-day/

If you have any specific questions about Lancaster University then please get in touch!

Good luck!

Rebecca

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending