The Student Room Group

Dissertation about Grenfell

So I have got my topic for my Civil Engineering dissertation topic and its about The aftermath of the Grenfell Tower fire: The technology and future of cladding.

My mind is completely blank as to what direction to go with this. I do really like the topic but what should I write about specifically.

Any Ideas????????
I would take it as the Grenfell Tower incident just being a lead in, the real topic is comparing older forms of cladding to newer and potential future forms.
Reply 2
Original post by Helloworld_95
I would take it as the Grenfell Tower incident just being a lead in, the real topic is comparing older forms of cladding to newer and potential future forms.

Hello, Thanks for the reply. It's a great suggestion so potentiallly i could talk about the cladding on grenfell itself and some traditional forms then move onto some new forms that are promisiing for the future. Would it be a good idea to talk about current fire regulaations regarding cladding and some other structures that have been affected by cladding also and current government requirements.
Original post by Musty97
Hello, Thanks for the reply. It's a great suggestion so potentiallly i could talk about the cladding on grenfell itself and some traditional forms then move onto some new forms that are promisiing for the future. Would it be a good idea to talk about current fire regulaations regarding cladding and some other structures that have been affected by cladding also and current government requirements.

Yes, I'd guess you'll essentially do a long literature review, with the introduction covering Grenfell and other incidents, then go into past and present regulations alongside proposed regulations, then analyse the past, present, and future materials with regards to their properties and how well they meet the regulations. Finally, make a conclusion and you may even be able to suggest possible regulations that haven't been put forward before

If you're at a university which wants an experimental or modelling part in your dissertation then this will change quite considerably as you'll need to fit several experiments in there too, which will be particularly challenging for the future material.
Reply 4
Original post by Musty97
So I have got my topic for my Civil Engineering dissertation topic and its about The aftermath of the Grenfell Tower fire: The technology and future of cladding.

My mind is completely blank as to what direction to go with this. I do really like the topic but what should I write about specifically.

Any Ideas????????

Hey I’m doing my dissertation on combustible materials and Grenfell. Would be really helpful to read your dissertation to see how you talk about legislation etc

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending