The Student Room Group

Veterinary Medicine as a Second Degree

If applying for 4 year graduate entry programme having already completed a funded 3 year Biology degree would I be eligible for tuition funding for the 4th year.

Similarly, if I apply for the undergraduate 5 year course, would I be eligible for tuition funding for years 4 and 5?
Original post by Bizzzybee
If applying for 4 year graduate entry programme having already completed a funded 3 year Biology degree would I be eligible for tuition funding for the 4th year.

Similarly, if I apply for the undergraduate 5 year course, would I be eligible for tuition funding for years 4 and 5?

Hi there,

What course are you looking to study? There is different funding for both graduate and undergraduate.

Thanks, Erin
Reply 2
Original post by Erin SFE
Hi there, What course are you looking to study? There is different funding for both graduate and undergraduate. Thanks, Erin
I have applied for the 5 year undergraduate courses at RVC and Surrey as well as the 4 year graduate entry courses at Bristol and RVC.
(edited 5 years ago)
I have applied for the 5 year undergraduate courses at RVC and Surrey as well as the 4 year graduate entry courses at Bristol and RVC.

Hi there,

Are these Medicine courses?

Thanks, Erin
Reply 4
Hi Erin

Yes, they will result in being a qualified vet.
Hi Erin

Yes, they will result in being a qualified vet.

Hi there,

Can you please confirm the exact course names, and the universities?

Warm regards,
Graeme
Reply 6
Original post by SFE Graeme
Hi there,

Can you please confirm the exact course names, and the universities?

Warm regards,
Graeme

Hi Graeme

The course details are:

D100 - Veterinary Medicine and Science at University of Surrey

D100 - Bachelor of Veterinary Medicine at Royal Veterinary College

D102 - Bachelor of Veterinary Medicine Accelerated Programme at Royal Veterinary College

D102 - Veterinary Science: Accelerated Graduate Entry at University of Bristol

Thanks
Reply 7
(Original post by Bizzzybee)

Hi Graeme

The course details are:

D102 - Bachelor of Veterinary Medicine Accelerated Programme at Royal Veterinary College

Thanks

Hi Graeme

Are you able to give a definitive answer yet?
(Original post by Bizzzybee)

Hi Graeme

The course details are:

Thanks

Hi Graeme

Are you able to give a definitive answer yet?

Hi there,

We couldn't find the last course details that you've mentioned on the system but the other 3 courses are showing as you would be eligible for Maintenance Loan, Grant's for Dependant's (if applicable) and DSA (if applicable).
Thanks,
Claire
Hi Claire,I am also wondering if the 4th and 5th years could be funded during a persons second undergraduate degree, as with the BSc I have only had 3 years funding but veterinary medicine students tend to get 5 years of funding in total. Thank you very much for your help, Emma
Original post by Gradstudent1359
Hi Claire,I am also wondering if the 4th and 5th years could be funded during a persons second undergraduate degree, as with the BSc I have only had 3 years funding but veterinary medicine students tend to get 5 years of funding in total. Thank you very much for your help, Emma

Hi Emma,

based on what you have advised us you would be eligible for the finance for the full 5 years but this doesn't include the Tuition Fee Loan. If you decide to do the course part time then you would be eligible to receive full funding including Tuition Fees.

Thanks,
Claire
Hi Claire, Just interested to know if there was any more information I could get on this? Are you saying that if you do a graduate entry veterinary medicine degree part-time then you can get all forms of funding including tuition fees, even if you already hold an undergraduate degree?Thanks!
Original post by georgialharper
Hi Claire, Just interested to know if there was any more information I could get on this? Are you saying that if you do a graduate entry veterinary medicine degree part-time then you can get all forms of funding including tuition fees, even if you already hold an undergraduate degree?Thanks!

Hi, certain veterinary science courses are exceptions if studied part time which means it's possible to study the course as a second degree. If you can supply your full course name and university name then we can check to see if your course would be an exception.
Thanks, Isaac.
Hi Claire,I am a graduate and looking to do graduate entry veterinary medicine but wondering how I’m ever going to afford it. I’m looking at the graduate entry Accelerated (4 year courses) at both the university of Bristol and The royal veterinary college as well as the accelerated 5 year graduate entry course at Cambridge, and the 5 year undergraduate course at Liverpool or Nottingham. I phoned student finance about a month ago and they said there was absolutely no funding available for graduate entry vet students regardless of whether they’re on an accelerated course or standard 5 year undergraduate course. The lady said they will not cover fees OR provide a maintenance loan. I do know a final year vet student at the uni of Nottingham who said they received a maintenance loan from SFE that they use towards the fees (and then live at home/ self fund the rest). I was just wondering whether the info given by the lady at student finance was correct or whether this maintenance loan was indeed potentially available? I have also heard about over 25s being classed independently from parental income and receiving the highest amount of maintenance loan. (This is for a student studying medicine) and I was just wondering whether this may apply to veterinary medicine also? Thank you so much in advance for your reply!Rach
Original post by Buddingvet
Hi Claire,I am a graduate and looking to do graduate entry veterinary medicine but wondering how I’m ever going to afford it. I’m looking at the graduate entry Accelerated (4 year courses) at both the university of Bristol and The royal veterinary college as well as the accelerated 5 year graduate entry course at Cambridge, and the 5 year undergraduate course at Liverpool or Nottingham. I phoned student finance about a month ago and they said there was absolutely no funding available for graduate entry vet students regardless of whether they’re on an accelerated course or standard 5 year undergraduate course. The lady said they will not cover fees OR provide a maintenance loan. I do know a final year vet student at the uni of Nottingham who said they received a maintenance loan from SFE that they use towards the fees (and then live at home/ self fund the rest). I was just wondering whether the info given by the lady at student finance was correct or whether this maintenance loan was indeed potentially available? I have also heard about over 25s being classed independently from parental income and receiving the highest amount of maintenance loan. (This is for a student studying medicine) and I was just wondering whether this may apply to veterinary medicine also? Thank you so much in advance for your reply!Rach

Hi there, you can receive a Maintenance Loan (plus DSA and supplementary grants if applicable) as long as your veterinary course qualification leads to becoming a Veterinary Surgeon, if it doesn't then you won't be eligible for any funding for a full time course.

If you study on a part time course then you could possibly receive a tuition fee loan as veterinary science is a part time exception category.
Thanks, Isaac.
Hi, I'm confused about this, as I can't find any graduate veterinary medicine courses that are available to study part-time. Do any exist?Thanks
Original post by MiracleLeaf
Hi, I'm confused about this, as I can't find any graduate veterinary medicine courses that are available to study part-time. Do any exist?Thanks

Hi, you can search here https://www.gov.uk/higher-education-courses-find-and-apply
Thanks, Isaac

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending