The Student Room Group

Work, Rest... Play? [Year 12 - Anna's GYG]

Hello!
:hello:

My name is Anna and I am a sixth form student currently in Year 12. I'm studying English Literature, Drama, History, and Sociology. I've been in sixth form for a couple of weeks so far, and I thought now would be the best time to do one of these threads! Not that I have done anything like this before... so bear with me! :jiggy:

Academic History
Due to a really difficult situation that was out of my control, I only had about five months to study all of my GCSEs in Year 11. Everything always seemed to be a mad rush in terms of my GCSE studies; I barely had time to breathe, and I admit that it was really stressful and hard.

So bearing in mind all of that... I was actually really proud of my GCSE results! If I'm honest; it's now nice to be in Year 12 and to be able to *somewhat* take my time and not have to plough through everything like a constant marathon. :vroam:

My GCSE Results:

Spoiler

Goals for this year:

Spoiler

My Interests:

Spoiler

Future Aspirations:

Spoiler

Updates:

Spoiler

Tag List:

Spoiler

Now you know more about me - feel free to follow me through my journey of Year 12! I reckon that it will be a stressful year - but I'm excited for the future ahead! :ta:
(edited 5 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

can i join the tag list? this looks awesome:gah:
best of luck:hugs: well done on all that volunteering:woo:
Original post by Toastiekid
can i join the tag list? this looks awesome:gah:
best of luck:hugs: well done on all that volunteering:woo:

Just added you to the tag list - and thank you! That means a lot. :h:

Update One
Thursday 11th October 2018

It has been a particularly busy week with me in terms of school and extra-curricular events. But I have been managing to balance both well - so all is going good so far!

This year, I am a Scare Actor at a large-scale Halloween event for seven nights in October. I thoroughly enjoy my work; it is my first paid professional acting job, so I have really been putting my all into it. I have had two paid rehearsals so far, and I have my final dress rehearsal tomorrow evening. I am playing a character called Duster Beaton, who is a miming psychotic comedian that also happens to be really bad at magic tricks. I have never done mime before, so it has been a really fun challenge.

As well as my job, I have managed to keep on top of my college classes and work. Maths is a particular struggle for me, so I often try to practice it regularly. I am currently at an E/D level; so I am hoping that I can turn this around by the time it gets to January. We will see.

Good news though; on my first official Sociology assignment, I got 18/19! I got knocked down a mark due to missing a point in one of my answers, but otherwise, considering this is my first marked piece of work for my report; I'm really pleased.

I believe that doing nothing *but* schoolwork, all the time, can have a detrimental effect on your wellbeing. Whilst education is extremely important, it is also good to balance your schoolwork with the things you love doing too. If there is something you want to do outside of school, my suggestion would be to go for it! Just make sure that you don't overload yourself too much. Make sure you keep some time to yourself, too. :groovy:
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 4
Can I join your tag list please? This looks amazing! :woo:
Congrats on your first Sociology assignment being amazing!! :gah:
Good luck with Year 12!! :rave:
Original post by nyxnko_
Can I join your tag list please? This looks amazing! :woo:
Congrats on your first Sociology assignment being amazing!! :gah:
Good luck with Year 12!! :rave:

Thank you so much! I will add you now. :wavey:
Love This So Far!! Good Luck
Original post by gw07mcgheerachel
Love This So Far!! Good Luck

Thank you! I'll tag you in my thread so you can see updates. :smile:
Original post by TheImpossibleOne
Thank you! I'll tag you in my thread so you can see updates. :smile:

Thanks! Mind checking out my GYG when you have a spare minute?x
Original post by gw07mcgheerachel
Thanks! Mind checking out my GYG when you have a spare minute?x

I will do! :h:

Update Two
Saturday 13th October 2018

... to say that I am shattered would be the understatement of the year.

I have had an extremely hectic week with rehearsals, and I didn't get in much before midnight on my final dress rehearsal. It is gruelling having to maintain energy for such a long period of time; and tonight, I have to maintain it for five hours straight on the first press night.

But I am loving every second of it. It is just extremely draining. :burnout:

I found out on Thursday, after I did my update, that I attained 35/39 in my final Sociology assignment - which was the top mark in the class! I am pretty proud of myself, considering that I am finishing late virtually every night and I am having to balance school work and my job at the same time.

Tonight, as I said, is the press night, where all of the VIP guests, newspapers, cameras and even YouTube vloggers come in to the mazes. That will be really fun, but I have a feeling I will barely be able to move for a year by the time it is all over. I am really excited though! I would attach photos if TSR would let me, but for some reason, my computer won't let me... :mute:

Anyway, that's all from me today! I will let you guys know how the first press night goes - I am hoping well! :evilbanana:

Update Two
Saturday 13th October 2018

... to say that I am shattered would be the understatement of the year.

I have had an extremely hectic week with rehearsals, and I didn't get in much before midnight on my final dress rehearsal. It is gruelling having to maintain energy for such a long period of time; and tonight, I have to maintain it for five hours straight on the first press night.

But I am loving every second of it. It is just extremely draining. :burnout:

I found out on Thursday, after I did my update, that I attained 35/39 in my final Sociology assignment - which was the top mark in the class! I am pretty proud of myself, considering that I am finishing late virtually every night and I am having to balance school work and my job at the same time.

Tonight, as I said, is the press night, where all of the VIP guests, newspapers, cameras and even YouTube vloggers come in to the mazes. That will be really fun, but I have a feeling I will barely be able to move for a year by the time it is all over. I am really excited though! I would attach photos if TSR would let me, but for some reason, my computer won't let me... :mute:

Anyway, that's all from me today! I will let you guys know how the first press night goes - I am hoping well! :evilbanana:

Enjoy your night :smile:
Update Three
Sunday 14th October 2018

I am pretty sure I no longer have working legs! :shot:

We had such a successful press night; going in the maze with a load of cameras, YouTubers, reviewers, newspapers etc is pretty cool! I am based in a maze which is entirely made up of clowns. I play a character called Duster Beaton, who is a black and white, comedic and a psychotic clown. It is a really fun role to play... but jumping around like mad for five hours whilst screaming, non stop, is exhausting. But I am loving every second of it - and have six more nights to go!

Tomorrow I am going to a UCAS exhibition specifically for the creative and performing arts, which is intruiging to me because I am interested in finding out more about the performing arts. I am also going to get some work done in the morning, as I won't be having any lessons tomorrow.

Overall, I'm knackered - but happy. :groovy:
Enjoy the UCAS exhibition!

Update Four
Friday 26th October 2018

I feel like I haven't updated my GYG blog in ages!

It has been nearly two weeks since I wrote my last post, and it has been extremely hectic with a number of different things going on.

I went to the UCAS exhibition about two weeks ago, and on the contrary, it told me where not to go! It was interesting hearing about all of the different universities and what they had to offer, but there wasn't really any there that caught my interest. However, it gave me a lot more insight about a field I didn't know too much about - journalism. It is a field that has definitely captivated my interest and it is something I am interested in looking into.

However, I went to a particular university stand at the UCAS event, and after telling them my predicted grades, the member of staff for Journalism started telling me about other universities to look into (such as Bournemouth and Westminster), as well as tips about what to go for and what to avoid. I have never known a university to actually tell a prospective student to look somewhere else for a course!

I am currently on half term, but it doesn't feel much like a half term because I am so busy all the time! Amongst half term work, I have had about five night shifts at the Halloween event I am working at as a scare actor. I really enjoy my job, and I have made so many new friends through it - but the term 'draining' in relation to the job would be the understatement of the year. Technically I am meant to be on shift tonight, but after coming down with a nasty virus I have had to take the night off. I am always one for being commitment to everything I do, regardless of how I feel - but I knew that if I pushed through tonight, my health may worsen and I may be forced to not work the final two nights. I am definitely going to my shift tomorrow, though - regardless of how I feel! I definitely do not want to let my team down. :evilbanana:

I have also recently received my half-term report, which I am really pleased with! My personal tutor stated that I have shown a 'commitment to education that is commendable', which meant so much to me. I highly place value on the importance of education, and I always do my best to work hard in classes and in my free time.

These were my grades:

Drama
Attitude to Learning: 5 (highest grade you can get for this)
Working at Grade: B

English Literature
Attitude to Learning: 5
Working at Grade: A

History
Working at Grade: B

Sociology
Working at Grade: A

GCSE Maths Retake
Attitude to Learning: (did not get a grade)
Working at Grade: 3

Since this is only the beginning of the year, I am extremely pleased with the grades I attained. I have also made a massive improvement in Maths; I went from a grade U to working at a grade 3, which is a huge achievement for me as Maths is not my strong suit. I hope to resit in January and potentially pass... we will see!
(edited 5 years ago)
Looks great! Good luck. Can I join the taglist?
Original post by KawaiiArtist
Looks great! Good luck. Can I join the taglist?

Thank you! I will add you to the tag list now.
This thread looks sick:gah:
I'm also in year 12 and do History and English lit, may I ask what units/ books you do if you know?
Good luck:rave:
Original post by troubletracking
This thread looks sick:gah:
I'm also in year 12 and do History and English lit, may I ask what units/ books you do if you know?
Good luck:rave:

Hi! Thank you, this is so sweet.

I am doing AQA for both History and English. For History, I am doing 'The Making of a Superpower: USA 1865-1975' as my first component, and 'The English Revolution: 1625-1660' as my second component. For English, we are currently studying Frankenstein and Wordsworth.

I'll add you to my tag list. :smile:
Hi! Thank you, this is so sweet.

I am doing AQA for both History and English. For History, I am doing 'The Making of a Superpower: USA 1865-1975' as my first component, and 'The English Revolution: 1625-1660' as my second component. For English, we are currently studying Frankenstein and Wordsworth.

I'll add you to my tag list. :smile:

Ah, I'm on also AQA for history but doing Russia and 20 century Britain. I'm on OCR for English (:angry:), so I'm not doing any of your texts but I'm currently trying to plunder through Frankenstein for wider reading and it's not going very well:lol:
Thank you! I'll look forward to hearing about your journey:hugs:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending