The Student Room Group

Pre-Reg Physiotherapy Sheffield Hallam Jan 2018

Hi everyone,

Just been accepted into Sheffield Hallam to study Physio pre-reg and just thought I’d set up a thread for people to chat if they wanna :smile:

Scroll to see replies

Hi,

Good to know you got accepted. I also want to do Physiotherapy for Postgrad, what degree did you graduate from and what are the requirements for it? I will be graduating from Biochemistry.

It'll be nice if you could give me the deets :smile:
(edited 6 years ago)
Hey,

Thanks :smile: I graduated with a 2:1 in Sports Science, I think most places look for a 2:1 minimum in a related degree (biochemistry is ok 👍🏽) for Physio although Sheffield Hallam accept 2:2s. Also you need to have had some sort of experience of Physio or health care prior to applying eg. Work placement, shadowing or even working as an assistant at a clinic; as it’s highly competitive to get onto the course. Do you graduate this year and where you looking to apply to? Let me know if you wanna know anything more specific, I’ll be more than happy to answer :smile:
Original post by kylegeorge13
Hey,

Thanks :smile: I graduated with a 2:1 in Sports Science, I think most places look for a 2:1 minimum in a related degree (biochemistry is ok 👍🏽) for Physio although Sheffield Hallam accept 2:2s. Also you need to have had some sort of experience of Physio or health care prior to applying eg. Work placement, shadowing or even working as an assistant at a clinic; as it’s highly competitive to get onto the course. Do you graduate this year and where you looking to apply to? Let me know if you wanna know anything more specific, I’ll be more than happy to answer :smile:

I graduate in 2018, currently in my final year. Where do you think I should look for work placement to help me secure a spot for Physio? I don't have any related experience unfortunately.

I will be applying to SHU for sure but will also consider other unis. Still doing a bit of research on that :P What's the intake quota? And, when do you think I should submit my application?
I’d look for NHS experience ideally eg. at a local Physiotherapy department of a hospital, as it is an NHS run court. Even if it’s a few days here and there it’s goes along way on your application plus it gives you a real insight into the workings of a Physio and a good taste of whether you’d like to work within the area :smile:

I’m not sure what the intake is specifically is at SHU but most places I’ve heard about offer approximately 20-30 places per year so I’d guess it’s around that mark. I’d try to get some experience in ideally before submitting because as I say it’s a highly competitive course and some initial applications would be ruled out due to no experience
Original post by Charmaine.swift
Hi,

Good to know you got accepted. I also want to do Physiotherapy for Postgrad, what degree did you graduate from and what are the requirements for it? I will be graduating from Biochemistry.

It'll be nice if you could give me the deets :smile:

Hiya,

Biochemistry? That is nice.

I graduated from Biological Sciences.

The requirements vary actually, I think Sheffield Hallam's requirements are a 2:2 or higher.
Most other universities are 2:1 of higher.

I'm actually starting an MSc (Pre-Registration) Physiotherapy course at Southampton in January 2018 (which is in 3 weeks time :O)

Let me know if you have any other questions about the course.

Matticus, Physiotherapy Student at Southampton University, http://www.youtube.com/c/MatticusC_1996

I intend to do Day in the Life VLOGS when I start so people can really get a taste of what life is like for Physio student :smile:
Original post by kylegeorge13
I’d look for NHS experience ideally eg. at a local Physiotherapy department of a hospital, as it is an NHS run court. Even if it’s a few days here and there it’s goes along way on your application plus it gives you a real insight into the workings of a Physio and a good taste of whether you’d like to work within the area :smile:

I’m not sure what the intake is specifically is at SHU but most places I’ve heard about offer approximately 20-30 places per year so I’d guess it’s around that mark. I’d try to get some experience in ideally before submitting because as I say it’s a highly competitive course and some initial applications would be ruled out due to no experience

Hey, do you know if SHU quota for the program is already full? I have just gotten some experience so I thought I should submit my application.
Hi @Charmaine.swift

Is this the course you are going to apply for? Are you looking to start this September? What experience do you have?

https://www.shu.ac.uk/courses/physiotherapy/msc-physiotherapy-preregistration/full-time/2018

Thanks,
Bridget
Original post by Sheffield Hallam University
Hi @Charmaine.swift

Is this the course you are going to apply for? Are you looking to start this September? What experience do you have?

https://www.shu.ac.uk/courses/physiotherapy/msc-physiotherapy-preregistration/full-time/2018

Thanks,
Bridget

Yes, but for January 2019 start. I have some clinical physio experience.
Hey @Charmaine.swift

Ah ok - there are spaces on the course so if you click the "apply for January 2019" button on the course page and go from there.

Let me know if you have any more questions,

Thanks
Bridget
Hi @Charmaine.swift

Did you get your application sorted?

Let me know if you need any more help with it.

Thanks,
Bridget
Hi guys, I am a prospective physiotherapy student and I have a few questions to ask, they are mainly about employment rather than study, I am wondering if there is a sort of cap/limit in place so that the supply of physiotherapy students matches the demand so that they can mostly get a job,

or is there no such thing and no guarantee at all from the NHS of taking on the graduates, (I mean sort of like the Medicine graduates where the NHS gives most of them a place? (I'm not sure this is the case but I'm asking if it works like that).

Be great if u can answer my questions, or if you feel this needs to be in a different thread please post in this one

https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=5574492
Original post by Sheffield Hallam University
Hi @Charmaine.swift

Did you get your application sorted?

Let me know if you need any more help with it.

Thanks,
Bridget

Original post by Charmaine.swift
Yes, but for January 2019 start. I have some clinical physio experience.

Hello,
Did you apply in the end? I’ve also applied for Sheffield Hallam MSc Physiotherapy. 😀
Hey @Ashdabiz

If you want any information on the MSc Physiotherapy course at Hallam let us know!

Thanks
Bridget
Hello Bridget,

I’m just waiting for the response from them, so fingers crossed 🤞🏾

A question is, where do most postgraduate students live? Is there specific accommodation I should be looking at?

Regards,
Ashley.
Reply 15
Hey guys,

I'm a current Sheffield Hallam student on the MsC physio course, if anyone has any questions about anything feel free to send me a pm on here.
Original post by K_rrar
Hey guys,

I'm a current Sheffield Hallam student on the MsC physio course, if anyone has any questions about anything feel free to send me a pm on here.

Hey K_rrar,
ive recently submitted my application to Sheffield Hallam for the pre-reg Physio course. I was just wondering, what sort of work experience/background did you have before applying? And how many students do they usually take on each year?

Thanks!
Reply 17
Hi guys. I submitted an application for the Jan 2019 start at SHU a while back in the summer. Does anyone know timescales in terms of hearing back / interviews etc?
Reply 18
Original post by Sioned.x
Hey K_rrar,
ive recently submitted my application to Sheffield Hallam for the pre-reg Physio course. I was just wondering, what sort of work experience/background did you have before applying? And how many students do they usually take on each year?

Thanks!

I had experience working as a physiotherapy assistant, personal trainer, as well as some teaching and coaching experience. I think the primary thing they're looking for is experience in care settings, the more relevant to physio the better. Someone without any experience in care would probably struggle getting thrown into a placement where you're in a hospital working with patients who have advanced lung disease for example.

They take on about 40 students per year I believe. I doubt that number will increase because there just aren't enough placements available, and a few of us have already gotten stuck on poor placements where we don't learn very much. If you combine that with the extremely low amount of contact hours at SHU it wouldn't make for a good learning experience, so they might even reduce it slightly - but the number in my cohort is about 40.

Hope that helps!
Original post by K_rrar
I had experience working as a physiotherapy assistant, personal trainer, as well as some teaching and coaching experience. I think the primary thing they're looking for is experience in care settings, the more relevant to physio the better. Someone without any experience in care would probably struggle getting thrown into a placement where you're in a hospital working with patients who have advanced lung disease for example.

They take on about 40 students per year I believe. I doubt that number will increase because there just aren't enough placements available, and a few of us have already gotten stuck on poor placements where we don't learn very much. If you combine that with the extremely low amount of contact hours at SHU it wouldn't make for a good learning experience, so they might even reduce it slightly - but the number in my cohort is about 40.

Hope that helps!

How competitive would you say it is to be able to secure a spot for MSc Physio course at SHU? Do you know how many international students they took in your cohort?

It's sad to hear that some students found poor placements. Where do students generally do their placements? I'd be happy if you could answer them :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending