The Student Room Group

False rape claims are not as big of a problem as the media makes out

Recently there has been a lot of talk about false rape claims to the point where it has detracted from the talk about what a pandemic there is for sexual assault and harassment towards women.

I personally do not believe that false claims are as much of an issue as the media makes out. Yes there are some cases but these are very rare and no where near as common as cases where women are telling the truth.

1 in 3 women have been sexually assaulted or harassed in their life. I personally believe that that figure could be much higher if more women came forward. Every woman I know has experienced sexual harassment or assault in some form.

I am not saying that kavanaugh should be convicted with anything because there is a lack of evidence. However I believe the women who have come forward.

The issue is extremely complex as claims are hard to prove but I think in general if a large number of women have come forward against someone, it is very likely that they are telling the truth.

Women who have been proven to have lied should be punished but only if there is strong evidence that she has lied. In most cases there isn't so in most cases women shouldn't be punished.

Before I end this I know that men get assaulted too but I don't think anywhere near as much. That is an issue but in this post I'm mainly taking about women.

This post is probably going to be very controversial but whatever.

Scroll to see replies

Agreed. But at the same time many men who have committed sexual assalts don't think they have or feel that their behaviour is socially acceptable which is why some men feel victimised. The only solution is education.
I'm a woman myself and honestly I don't think that harassment is even a big problem and women make it out but rape is but it still shouldn't make them hurt or anything because I got over it.
Just like everything else the media blows out of proportion.
Reply 4
It’s sickening when people tried to pass off the kavanaugh rape claim as a conspiracy against the republicans. **** off. If someone wanted to start drama against a political party there would be plenty of ways to do it than to put yourself through the trauma of accusing rape. I don’t give a shot about a lack of evidence, of the victim can describe what has happens to them and pick out a person who they believe has done it, then that is evidence enough! Lock all the ****ing rapists in jail for God’s sake.
I have no idea how common they are.

However, I do know that the "evidence" people quote to try to prove how rare they are tends to involve an incredibly poor use of statistics.
Original post by jennyh14
It’s sickening when people tried to pass off the kavanaugh rape claim as a conspiracy against the republicans. **** off. If someone wanted to start drama against a political party there would be plenty of ways to do it than to put yourself through the trauma of accusing rape. I don’t give a shot about a lack of evidence, of the victim can describe what has happens to them and pick out a person who they believe has done it, then that is evidence enough! Lock all the ****ing rapists in jail for God’s sake.

So if someone accused you of sexually assaulting them, but presented no evidence, then you think you should be automatically imprisoned?

lol
Low number of convictions for rape: Feminists say, "This low conviction rate proves how rape isn't taken seriously, and is evidence of the misogynistic, patriarchal society that we live in."

Low number of convictions for false accusations of rape: Feminists say, "This proves that false accusations of rape are rare."

Typical double standards and logical inconsistency.
Reply 8
It's the false claims that will hurt the whole #MeToo movement in the long run cuz people will just lose trust in the whole thing.
Reply 9
Original post by Chief Wiggum
So if someone accused you of sexually assaulting them, but presented no evidence, then you think you should be automatically imprisoned?

lol

This is not the reality though. When women are brave enough to come forward and accuse someone of rape, they are not lying! If the world was perfect, there would be more protection from the public for people accused of rape with conviction, but the REALITY is that rape/assault is a serious issue which people never gave a proper shot about until now, hence why so many women are starting to report their experiences which happened in the previous century
Original post by Turquaz
It's the false claims that will hurt the whole #MeToo movement in the long run cuz people will just lose trust in the whole thing.

The metoo movement put Harvey Weinstein to shame. I think it’s done it’s job
This is not the reality though. When women are brave enough to come forward and accuse someone of rape, they are not lying! If the world was perfect, there would be more protection from the public for people accused of rape with conviction, but the REALITY is that rape/assault is a serious issue which people never gave a proper shot about until now, hence why so many women are starting to report their experiences which happened in the previous century

OK.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3714547/Heartbroken-mother-55-teenager-hanged-false-rape-allegations-kills-anniversary-death-couldn-t-future-without-him.html

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-45839644

(Although of course I agree that rape is an incredibly seriously crime that should absolutely be taken seriously.)

All you’re doing here is detracting from the problem I’m trying to demonstrate here, and you know it
Exactly! How has Kavanaugh paid for his crime?
Original post by Chief Wiggum
Low number of convictions for rape: Feminists say, "This low conviction rate proves how rape isn't taken seriously, and is evidence of the misogynistic, patriarchal society that we live in."

Low number of convictions for false accusations of rape: Feminists say, "This proves that false accusations of rape are rare."

Typical double standards and logical inconsistency.

It’s not double standards, it’s true
I'd argue just as a single rape is one too many, a single false rape allegation is also - and really should hold the same punishment
Exactly! How has Kavanaugh paid for his crime?

It’s not been proved in a court of law that he has committed a crime.
successful execution of click bait, but i agree
You guys are really evil and disgusting if you think it's okay to falsely accuse someone of rape and ruin their lives for any reason. People actually kill themselves because of this unrighteous judgement. It ruins your name, public, image, years of hard work, and opportunities in life, all for something you didn't even do. As for the 1 in three women have been harassed thing, yeah so do men. I was sexually harassed by some big black girls who I was not interested in while I was in middle school. One would always smack my butt when we passed by near the stairwell going down the first floor. She then came in after the bell rang in at class because I was leaving that class and that was her next class. She pretended to want a hug so I hugged her and she then grabbed my private parts. It was awful. She then started harassing we about it throughout some parts of the year and told her friends. I was shook but since it was not actual rape, I'm okay.
Original post by tanyasmiths
I'm a woman myself and honestly I don't think that harassment is even a big problem and women make it out but rape is but it still shouldn't make them hurt or anything because I got over it.

I think you're really wrong. Sexual harassment is something that a lot of people experience and it can make work environments etc very uncomfortable and scary for women. If you are being sexually harassed on a regular basis it can make you not want to go to work/school or leave the house. It IS an issue. As for rape, it is extremely traumatic for most people that experience it. You may not have been that traumatised by it but many women are. And people don't choose whether they feel "hurt" by something or not.

Latest

Trending

Trending