The Student Room Group

Should I be forced to share my Nintendo swich?

I’m a 16 year old guy and my 19 year old sister always wanted a PS4 and she is getting one very soon and she is telling me not to touch it because it’s hers and it’s fair if I respect her belongings ? Right ?

But then I let her play with my Nintendo swich and sometimes she touches without my permission and I’m fine with? Fair right ?Not really...What should I do and is it fair like this ?

EDIT: I paid for 80% of my swich whilst my mum paid for the remainder but my mother is paying for my sis’s PS4
(edited 5 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
First you should let her use your switch even if she won't let you use her ps4. That way she will eventually let you use the ps4. If she doesn't then just don't let her use your switch.
Reply 2
Original post by Li_ger
First you should let her use your switch even if she won't let you use her ps4. That way she will eventually let you use the ps4. If she doesn't then just don't let her use your switch.

True but she says that she doesn’t care
Reply 3
Original post by SWG14
I’m a 16 year old guy and my 19 year old sister always wanted a PS4 and she is getting one very soon and she is telling me not to touch it because it’s hers and it’s fair if I respect her belongings ? Right ?

But then I let her play with my Nintendo swich and sometimes she touches without my permission and I’m fine with? Fair right ?Not really...What should I do and is it fair like this ?

I know that feeling. I feel like you should talk to her about it and say that you don't like how she uses it without your permission and she won't even let you touch her ps4. Although, I doubt she will listen so I would advise you if this doesn't work then hide it somewhere until you are back in your house.
Original post by Li_ger

Ignore this advice man. Survival of the fittest. Hide the Switch when you're not around and make sure she doesn't use it.
Reply 5
If she's never going to let you go on the ps4 then you might as well go with Diesel's strategy.
(edited 5 years ago)
If she won't let you use her PS4 you shouldn't have to let her use your Switch. Fair's fair. My brother and I always shared consoles, but I wouldn't be sharing with anyone who wouldn't share back, however childish that might seem.
That's unfair.

I'd say tell her if she's not going to share then you won't either. Let her decide for herself if the personal gain of accessing Nintendo Exclusives is worth sharing her own games console.

My Dad and I both own our own PS4s and Switches (I'm 26 and have my own income for context, before anyone assumes I'm just some spoiled kid!) and we borrow each others games all the time. It's nice to share the experience of a good game with someone. Hoarding an experience is kind of sad.
Reply 8
Original post by SWG14

Oh yeah I paid for about 80% of my swich with my own money but my mum is paying for her PS4
Reply 9
Original post by xoxAngel_Kxox
If she won't let you use her PS4 you shouldn't have to let her use your Switch. Fair's fair. My brother and I always shared consoles, but I wouldn't be sharing with anyone who wouldn't share back, however childish that might seem.

I would just like to say that your dog is cute 😂
Original post by SWG14
I would just like to say that your dog is cute 😂

Aww thanks :P. I added that avatar in 2011 so he's not quite the same now - 7 years older!!
Original post by sinfonietta
That's unfair.

I'd say tell her if she's not going to share then you won't either. Let her decide for herself if the personal gain of accessing Nintendo Exclusives is worth sharing her own games console.

My Dad and I both own our own PS4s and Switches (I'm 26 and have my own income for context, before anyone assumes I'm just some spoiled kid!) and we borrow each others games all the time. It's nice to share the experience of a good game with someone. Hoarding an experience is kind of sad.

Couldn’t have said it better!
Original post by SWG14

Must be a mental maturity thing or it's just so precious to her. I swear if you guys lived in 3rd world countries, (even though you wouldn't have those games) then you'd be sharing. Have a calm, respectful talk about how her actions would be viewed in 5 years time. Maybe you'll be gone somewhere far then.

Listen to this song at the same time.

On the other hand, if you're irresponsibly using the PS4, then fair enough.

EDIT: I do agree with letting her use your Switch for some time. Then eventually talk about it if she still doesn't let you play the PS4 and ask her how fair that was. But don't be angry. Simply forgive.
(edited 5 years ago)
firstly u should give her ur switch coz idk which idiat would have one
secondly. i forgot nvm
Is this a euphemism? In my day, it was called a tuppence.
Dont give it to her
The Switch belongs to you, so whether your sister is allowed to touch it is up to you. Her doing so without your permission is wrong, full stop.

I'd suggest that you come to an agreement with her about sharing your consoles, e.g. you let her play the Switch for an hour, she lets you go on her PS4 e.t.c.
I've never shared my consoles with siblings, we all have our own! if you don't see it as a problem then maybe it's fine but if she won't share hers why share yours? :redface:
Personally, I don’t know where this idea came from that children have to ‘share’ everything. Playgroups, families, schools are obsessed with it.
I never enforced sharing with my 7 children. If they didn’t want to hand it over for a brother or sister to play with, they didn’t have to. They would be told to play with something else or they could play with it when it was done with.
If she uses her own profile just add prenatal controls on to it block access to every game she likes basically cripple the expense for her or just delete her profile once the PS4 comes that might put her off or if you take the train or Bus to collage or school take it with you and play on the journey she can't use it if it isn't there.
(edited 5 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest