The Student Room Group

Macbeth

i have a practice question regarding how ambition is presented in Macbeth. would it make sense to say that ambition was presented as a paradox within itself as the same driving force which led Macbeth to violently 'unseem['d] him from the nave to the chops' in the name of Scotland as a 'brave warrior' was the same driving force that led him to commit regicide; the worst form of treason, so in this sense could ambition be presented as both good and bad; and therefore be presented as a paradox?
Reply 1
Original post by samr666
i have a practice question regarding how ambition is presented in Macbeth. would it make sense to say that ambition was presented as a paradox within itself as the same driving force which led Macbeth to violently 'unseem['d] him from the nave to the chops' in the name of Scotland as a 'brave warrior' was the same driving force that led him to commit regicide; the worst form of treason, so in this sense could ambition be presented as both good and bad; and therefore be presented as a paradox?

You have made a good point about the paradox idea because I would never have thought of that when I did mine, but then again I didn't have this question. I think ambition could be presented as good and bad, mentioning the paradox may or may not get you more marks because you are focussing on the question and are really looking at it closely, you have put thought into it but it may not be on the marking scheme but I would put it anyway because you have made a very good point
Reply 2
Original post by Anime R
You have made a good point about the paradox idea because I would never have thought of that when I did mine, but then again I didn't have this question. I think ambition could be presented as good and bad, mentioning the paradox may or may not get you more marks because you are focussing on the question and are really looking at it closely, you have put thought into it but it may not be on the marking scheme but I would put it anyway because you have made a very good point

Thanks for the advice
Reply 3
Original post by samr666
Thanks for the advice

No problem :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest