The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by JSC16
Can I ask are all Russell groups very similar in being targeted by employers as I have seen some schools such as UCL been placed a lot higher than Newcastle on uni ranking sites, however in the real world would these be classed as similar unis as they are Russell’s and would they more or less be equally reputable?
Thanks

Depends on which employers you are talking about.

However, few people outside of TSR or universities probably know - or care - about the Russell Group.
Reply 2
So if I was doing something like chemical engineering at Newcastle uni wouldn’t it make much of a difference to someone doing it at UCL provided we both have sufficient work experience ? Or is chemical engineering considered a lucrative course meaning it might look better for corporate jobs?
Original post by Smack

However, few people outside of TSR or universities probably know - or care - about the Russell Group.

I totally echo these comments. Plus, OP, do remember that companies are increasingly using 'university blind' applications, where the name of your university is removed from your application before consideration!
Reply 4
Original post by Smack

So if you wanted to go into a high financial role or investment banking (for example) surely they would care then? Wouldn’t Russell group candidates be comparable or is it really about the societies and you as a person?
When it comes down to it, a degree is a degree and you'll end up with a pretty similar outcome wherever you go. That being said, if you studied at somewhere like Durham as opposed to, say, Liverpool, I don't think it's unlikely that somebody might view you as smarter.

Honestly, though, I think any Russell Group university is highly regarded and you won't be set back by going to a lower ranking one.
Reply 6
But what I’m saying is a UCL graduate has an equal chance a Newcastle graduate right? Uni will only play a very small role as both are considered good?
Reply 7
Original post by dexybo
When it comes down to it, a degree is a degree and you'll end up with a pretty similar outcome wherever you go. That being said, if you studied at somewhere like Durham as opposed to, say, Liverpool, I don't think it's unlikely that somebody might view you as smarter.

Honestly, though, I think any Russell Group university is highly regarded and you won't be set back by going to a lower ranking one.

That’s good I suppose it’s also based on the degree along with a good mark in it and relevant experience
Original post by JSC16
So if you wanted to go into a high financial role or investment banking (for example) surely they would care then? Wouldn’t Russell group candidates be comparable or is it really about the societies and you as a person?

I really don't know anything about those professions. However I would suggest that for a lot of the really high ranking universities - like for example Oxford, Cambridge, LSE - their Russell Group status is irrelevant to their prestige and rankings.
Original post by JSC16
That’s good I suppose it’s also based on the degree along with a good mark in it and relevant experience

From what I understand, yeah. Any degree from any Russell Group is going to be similar to its equivalent and you should be able to get yourself an industry year at most Russell Groups if that's something you're interested in.
Reply 10
Original post by Smack
I really don't know anything about those professions. However I would suggest that for a lot of the really high ranking universities - like for example Oxford, Cambridge, LSE - their Russell Group status is irrelevant to their prestige and rankings.

Forget Oxbridge, places like LSE and Durham aren’t that much different to the likes of Newcastle Birmingham or any other Russell and id say that LSE is more prestigious due to its history, that’s it, but for world rankings most of the unis are in the top 200 world wide according to QS and to say there are endless unis, the ranking gap isn’t really that much different
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 11
There is nothing to be argued about I’m trying to make a point that at the end of the day UCL is really no different to lower Russell’s unlike how it would with Oxbridge haha
Reply 12
I’m “trying” to make a point in saying that Russell’s have a high reputation already and am wondering how job prospects would be that much different to those like UCL, if at all. What are your opinions to the differences between that of Newcastle and that of a “higher ranked uni” though they would both be Russell Groups?
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 13
You really do not understand my what I’m saying and asking do you, where everyone else has given an adequate answer. You might as well save me some energy and do one.
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by JSC16
I’m “trying” to make a point in saying that Russell’s have a high reputation already and am wondering how job prospects would be that much different to those like UCL, if at all. What are your opinions to the differences between that of Newcastle and that of a “higher ranked uni” though they would both be Russell Groups?

No, the prospects are not the same. Look at Unistats

UCL
https://unistats.ac.uk/subjects/employment/10007784FT-UMNCENSING14/ReturnTo/Search

Newcastle
https://unistats.ac.uk/subjects/employment/10007799FT-objid50747651/ReturnTo/Search

What is the most significant difference?
At Newcastle 60% of graduates are working in engineering. At UCL only 10% are.
Reply 15
Original post by nulli tertius
No, the prospects are not the same. Look at Unistats

UCL
https://unistats.ac.uk/subjects/employment/10007784FT-UMNCENSING14/ReturnTo/Search

Newcastle
https://unistats.ac.uk/subjects/employment/10007799FT-objid50747651/ReturnTo/Search

What is the most significant difference?
At Newcastle 60% of graduates are working in engineering. At UCL only 10% are.

I believe uniststats to be biased as prospects can vary in different cities and the sample sizes are not the same, I assume that there are a lot more UCL people trying for investment banking, engineering is a very well respected degree and I wouldn’t see prospects being completely different
Original post by JSC16
I believe uniststats to be biased as prospects can vary in different cities and the sample sizes are not the same, I assume that there are a lot more UCL people trying for investment banking, engineering is a very well respected degree and I wouldn’t see prospects being completely different

You think unistats is biased. Do you think Newcastle gives the director of Unistats a bung of used £20 notes or do you think the Board of Unistats is full of Sunderland suporting UCL graduates who really hate Newcastle?

Do you see the inconsistency between:-

"prospects can vary in different cities"; and

"I wouldn't see prospects being completely different".

UCL attracts students who want to live and work in London. Newcastle doesn't. There are few jobs in chemical engineering in London. If you want to live in London, you are probably going to have to look at another career. People who go to university in Newcastle will see professionals of their age and earning power, buying their own houses or flats. It is a tough ask to persuade someome to move to London to pay most of their (higher) earnings on a rented flat share when they could buy in the NE.
Reply 17
Original post by nulli tertius
You think unistats is biased. Do you think Newcastle gives the director of Unistats a bung of used £20 notes or do you think the Board of Unistats is full of Sunderland suporting UCL graduates who really hate Newcastle?

Do you see the inconsistency between:-

"prospects can vary in different cities"; and

"I wouldn't see prospects being completely different".

UCL attracts students who want to live and work in London. Newcastle doesn't. There are few jobs in chemical engineering in London. If you want to live in London, you are probably going to have to look at another career. People who go to university in Newcastle will see professionals of their age and earning power, buying their own houses or flats. It is a tough ask to persuade someome to move to London to pay most of their (higher) earnings on a rented flat share when they could buy in the NE.

Aye you make a good point. However as I have heard that chemical engineers can go into finance, would Newcastle look similarly good to employers if applying to a corporate firm do you reckon?
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by JSC16
Aye you make a good point. However as I have heard that chemical engineers can go into finance, would Newcastle look similarly good to employers if applying to a corporate firm do you reckon?

I think you have to accept that every small finance house isn't going to traipse 3 hours north of London to man a stand at a careers fair. On the other hand Edinburgh is also a financial centre and you are well located for that.
Reply 19
Original post by J-SP
No they won’t be similar.

Employers in the North East are unlikely to target UCL but will target Newcastle.

A lot of employers won’t target UCL because of the courses there (while others will target for that exact reason).

International organisations will target UCL given their high proportion of international students and where London is a recognised city. They probably won’t target Newcastle.

When you say target do you mean just go into the school at a fair or something? Surely it wouldn’t affect your application provided your a good candidate

Latest

Trending

Trending