The Student Room Group

Notice of intended prosecution ( provisional driver)

Hi. I have a provisional license. I have insurance on my car ( learner insurance) on my name. I had a driver with me. I didnt have L plates on at the time. Was doing 43 in a 30 mph zone. No points or trouble previously. What will happen and what should i do? Shall i fill in the NiP and the police will realise its a provisional license? Will they get back to ask more questions and determine insurance/supervision/ l plates? Or will they just give the fine and points.

I know some people will think tough - but just need advice not backlash. Any ideas or people who been through it previously will really help.

Thanks
I think you are heading for a ban I am afraid. Why would you do this. Your insurance is going to go through the roof.
This was silly, it’s dangerous enough to do 43/30 as an experienced driver let alone someone who can’t even drive! Like the person above said, new drivers get 6 points for speeding in their first two years so as a non-driver I would agree yes you are heading for a ban.
Reply 3
I have read that you can receive up to 11 points on a provisional license and still be able to take your practical test and receive a license.

I know what i did was out of order and far from acceptable. Lesson learnt. However its not that i had no insurance at all. I did have learner insurance with someone next to me. I should be penalised for no L
Plates and speeding and given a fine. Or straight ban. This is your guys opinion i need facts or someone who has been in this situation previously. Cannot be the only one ..
Reply 4
Original post by Haljay2810
Hi. I have a provisional license. I have insurance on my car ( learner insurance) on my name. I had a driver with me. I didnt have L plates on at the time. Was doing 43 in a 30 mph zone. No points or trouble previously. What will happen and what should i do? Shall i fill in the NiP and the police will realise its a provisional license? Will they get back to ask more questions and determine insurance/supervision/ l plates? Or will they just give the fine and points.

I know some people will think tough - but just need advice not backlash. Any ideas or people who been through it previously will really help.

Thanks
So you were speeding in a car that was not marked appropriately for you.

Advice? Give up on learning to drive. There are too many people like you on the road already. I hope they revoke your licence.
Original post by Haljay2810

Thanks

You can't do anything to make your situation better than fill in the paperwork honestly and send it back promptly. You were massively in the wrong for doing 43 in a 30 and they will absolutely slam you for that, but you'll only make things worse if you don't fill the form in accurately and send it back in time. There isn't a questions about the NIP here, just what he consequences of your actions will be (which generally are set and you can google without getting opinions)
DVLA sez...

"New drivers
Your licence will be cancelled (revoked) if you get 6 or more points within 2 years of passing your test.

Points on your provisional licence

Any penalty points on your provisional licence that haven’t expired will be carried over to your full licence when you pass your test. However, your licence will be cancelled if you get any further penalty points that take you up to a total of 6 or more within 2 years of passing your driving test."

So based on that you MIGHT have a loophole, and you would be able to get yr licence, but it would be 'sudden death' for 2 years, 1 wrong move and you'd lose it, I could be wrong, but I don't think this 'new driver 6 points' thing applies BEFORE you get a licence.

On the other hand, it likely depends what exactly you get points for...3-6 for speeding, but the lack of L plates could pose an issue, it'll violate yr licence terms and maybe the insurance...so that could add ...

IN10Using a vehicle uninsured against third party risks6 to 8

LC20Driving otherwise than in accordance with a licence3 to 6

Whether they actually determine you were without L plates is a different matter, the evidence exists obv, but it depends on them going back to manually check images. I've never been through this btw, just making an educated guess from the info given.

(sorry I don't know why it posted like that, it looks too complex to fix :P )
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 7
This is along the lines of my thinking. 3-6 for the lc20 violation. They do say they have photographic images. So they probably will check for the L plates also. So they could do me for that also. When i fill

in the nip shall i just fill it out ? Put my driving license and let them find out the situation themselves or accompany it with a cover letter as well ? Also when i receive The replys will it be through post or will i need to go in/court/ ?
Reply 8
Original post by threeportdrift
You can't do anything to make your situation better than fill in the paperwork honestly and send it back promptly. You were massively in the wrong for doing 43 in a 30 and they will absolutely slam you for that, but you'll only make things worse if you don't fill the form in accurately and send it back in time. There isn't a questions about the NIP here, just what he consequences of your actions will be (which generally are set and you can google without getting opinions)

Hi

yeah i wasnt going to mess around with the nip. Going to fill it in just hope for the best really. Like i said lesson learnt. You live and learn.
Reply 9
What was the outcome?
Reply 10
He was tarred and feathered for being a complete and utter imbecile.

Would have certainly lost his provision licence and be made to take an extended test.
Reply 11
Original post by Nickz97
What was the outcome?

has it just happened to you?
Original post by Nickz97
What was the outcome?

Make your own thread, this thread is 2 years old....

Thread closed.

Latest

Trending

Trending