The Student Room Group

Na2O + H2O --> 2NaOH, what kind of reaction is this?

dont know if this posted but is this oxidation, reduction or disproportionation and could anyone tell me why it is?
i wrote out the oxidation states and i dont understand what im doing
Original post by earthworm206
dont know if this posted but is this oxidation, reduction or disproportionation and could anyone tell me why it is?

There are no electron transfers, so nothing to do with REDOX.
Reply 2
synthesis reaction my friend
Original post by earthworm206

Synthesis reaction, as @P.Ree said it before.

In your case, Na2O and H2O forming a new product by balancing the equation: The O-Atom in Na2O is double negative charged and is attracted by one of the partial charges of the H-Atoms in H2O. It comes to two negative charged hydroxyl groups.

Na2O -> 2 Na(+) + O(-2)
O(-2) + H2O -> 2 OH(-)

Those hydroxyl groups reacting with the positive charged Na-ions and complete the equation:

2 Na(+) + 2 OH(-) -> 2 NaOH

So at the end you got: Na2O + H2O -> 2 NaOH
Original post by Kallisto
Synthesis reaction, as @P.Ree said it before.

In your case, Na2O and H2O forming a new product by balancing the equation: The O-Atom in Na2O is double negative charged and is attracted by one of the partial charges of the H-Atoms in H2O. It comes to two negative charged hydroxyl groups.

Na2O -> 2 Na(+) + O(-2)
O(-2) + H2O -> 2 OH(-)

Those hydroxyl groups reacting with the positive charged Na-ions and complete the equation:

2 Na(+) + 2 OH(-) -> 2 NaOH

So at the end you got: Na2O + H2O -> 2 NaOH

The sodium ions are spectator so your equation boils down to :

O2- + H2O --> 2OH-
Original post by charco
The sodium ions are spectator so your equation boils down to :

O2- + H2O --> 2OH-

I am afraid I don't understand completely. Is that the way to say that I did a step too many? was the sodium equation above unneccesary to write down?
Original post by Kallisto
I am afraid I don't understand completely. Is that the way to say that I did a step too many? was the sodium equation above unneccesary to write down?

yes, there is no "reaction" between sodium ions and hydroxide ions.
thanks everyone

Quick Reply

Latest