The Student Room Group

Opinions on this pianist?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Kiritsugu

Opinions on the piece, his technique or interpretation?
Reply 2
Original post by Reality Check
Opinions on the piece, his technique or interpretation?

Mainly piece with interp, but technique would be a bonus!
nice. is it you??
Mainly piece with interp, but technique would be a bonus!

It's certainly showy. For me, there is a serious want of restraint and elegance. Throwing everything you can at a piece to play it at maximum speed: the ff as ff as they can be; the pp the most pianissimo of pianissimo... It's like being hit over the head. Not for me, I'm afraid.

For elegance, restraint and sheer talent, maybe Pires playing a Chopin nocturne, or Edwin Fischer's Mozart concertos.
Reply 5
Original post by goggleyed
nice. is it you??

It's not me. It is YouTube channel Animenz who plays anime music on piano. A legend.
It's certainly showy. For me, there is a serious want of restraint and elegance. Throwing everything you can at a piece to play it at maximum speed: the ff as ff as they can be; the pp the most pianissimo of pianissimo... It's like being hit over the head. Not for me, I'm afraid.

For elegance, restraint and sheer talent, maybe Pires playing a Chopin nocturne, or Edwin Fischer's Mozart concertos.

Thanks for the review. Do you play piano?
It's not me. It is YouTube channel Animenz who plays anime music on piano. A legend.

Thanks for the review. Do you play piano?

Yes, I do. I don't doubt Animenz's talent or competence in interpreting his genre. It's just really not the sort of piano music or playing which I find impressive or pleasurable. Lots do, though!
Reply 7
Yes, I do. I don't doubt Animenz's talent or competence in interpreting his genre. It's just really not the sort of piano music or playing which I find impressive or pleasurable. Lots do, though!

Oh cool, did you make a thread about your piano history already?
Oh cool, did you make a thread about your piano history already?

Oh gosh no. No-one would be remotely interested in my tinkling around on the piano. Why would they!
Oh gosh no. No-one would be remotely interested in my tinkling around on the piano. Why would they!

Out of curiosity? A willingness to expose yourself to new things is always an admirable trait.
Not for me. I couldn’t sense any emotion there.
Reply 11
Original post by Seamus123
Not for me. I couldn’t sense any emotion there.

Good old Seamus... haha maybe you should check out this, then.

EDIT: this is the first few lines of his YouTube description:

"This video is dedicated to all my fans who have always showed me their support for my music.
Whenever I was having serious doubts about my own musical ability (again), it was always you, who showed me the light at the end of the tunnel.
Thank you for the overwhelming response in my last "Weight of the world" video! I have read most of your comments and I really appreciate your uplifting words."
(edited 5 years ago)

I love this!!
Tokyo Ghoul is amazing too!!
Well, you did ask. Perhaps it’s because the actual piece didn’t appeal to me.
Reply 14
Original post by astroworld
I love this!!
Tokyo Ghoul is amazing too!!

Awesome!!! I know it's so fricken good :biggrin: Also, your profile picture resembles that of a GOD!
Original post by Seamus123
Well, you did ask. Perhaps it’s because the actual piece didn’t appeal to me.

What about the new one?
you have some abiltiy so why not play something by chopin, rachmaninoff, schumann etc. Expecting to be a composer as well is a lot to ask. lang lang and yuja wang aren't composers, and that doesn't matter, they are known for their interpretations. your music sounds like it could be the film music for a chinese romantic movie? it might appeal more to the audiences there. even parts of it, forgive me, sound like it could work well for a computer game.
Plenty of skill, but no soul - in the music, or in the playing.

Next!
Reply 17
Original post by Tootles
Plenty of skill, but no soul - in the music, or in the playing.

Next!

Woah hold your horses!

In this next performance, skip to 2:45 and then tell me if there's emotion or not.
Woah hold your horses!

In this next performance, skip to 2:45 and then tell me if there's emotion or not.
It's crap. All he's doing is playing a little slower.
Reply 19
Original post by Tootles
It's crap. All he's doing is playing a little slower.

Okay, well here's my last recommendation. Skip to 2:20.

Quick Reply

Latest