The Student Room Group

Is D of E and/or NCS really worth it?

Does it really look that good on uni applications and is it worth the money?
I have done Dofe Bronze and Silver and I am doing NCS. DofE is really difficult, but if you like outdoor stuff, DofE is for you. However NCS is quite beneficial as you do charity stuff e.c.t. and it is fun and cheap
Reply 2
Original post by AmericanFreedom
I have done Dofe Bronze and Silver and I am doing NCS. DofE is really difficult, but if you like outdoor stuff, DofE is for you. However NCS is quite beneficial as you do charity stuff e.c.t. and it is fun and cheap

What do you mean by difficult? And is it a lot on top of your college work, since doesn't DofE take like a year?
Original post by ASJ_12
Does it really look that good on uni applications and is it worth the money?

it used to be useful on uni applications but nowadays it's kinda useless... it may help u a bit but i think that dofe ain't worth it considering how muxh you have to do .get actual work experience it's more unique.
Reply 4
Original post by Saif Saleemi
it used to be useful on uni applications but nowadays it's kinda useless... it may help u a bit but i think that dofe ain't worth it considering how muxh you have to do .get actual work experience it's more unique.

what about just on your cv
Original post by ASJ_12
what about just on your cv

I'm not really sure all i know is that if ur not doing a job that is related to outdoor **** then it's not reallt useful. all it shows is that u have dedication so u might as well get work experience in ur preferred skill to show ur dedication to that skill if u get what i mean. but I'm not saying its bad I'm just saying that it's a waste of time but u might as well do it if u can easily afford it and u have time to spare.
Reply 6
Original post by Saif Saleemi
I'm not really sure all i know is that if ur not doing a job that is related to outdoor **** then it's not reallt useful. all it shows is that u have dedication so u might as well get work experience in ur preferred skill to show ur dedication to that skill if u get what i mean. but I'm not saying its bad I'm just saying that it's a waste of time but u might as well do it if u can easily afford it and u have time to spare.

cheers
Ok, despite what everyone says, DofE and NCS are only useful when you have nothing to write in your personal statement. They're great opportunities to have evidence of "soft skill" like teamwork, presentation skills, volunteering, etc. but other than that, you're not really going to get much more out of them. If you don't have a way of showing those skills, then great! Go for it! But if you've already been volunteering at a cat shelter for the last 2 years and you're the head of your school's charity committee, there's not really much point.

As someone who's done both, I'd say that DofE is much more intense and you *might* get more out of it, but if you're not a fan of the outdoors, like me, it might turn into a living hell that can potentially be quite pricey if your organisers make you buy some of your kit. NCS is much easier (and cheaper at only £50 I think)m since you only spend 4 weeks of summer, but from my (and my friends') experience, it's an utter waste of time. NCS is literally just evidence for your soft skill that you already have, as opposed to something actually useful.

TL;DL: if you haven't done any teamwork or commitments like volunteering, you can use NCS to pretend like you have. If your course doesn't need this kind of stuff, it's a bit of a waste of time.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending