The Student Room Group

Did I mess up my personal statement?

I am trying to apply for Linguistics & Spanish courses. In my personal statement I mentioned multiple different types of Spanish media I enjoyed: podcasts, books, short stories, movies, and poetry. I explained each specific media with what its contents were about. Was that a bad approach? I already turned in my UCAS app :frown:
I'm no expert on personal statements, let alone those based on languages, but I don't think it seems to be a bad approach. You discussed areas you're interested in, why would that be bad?
Reply 2
Original post by anonymous1231231
I'm no expert on personal statements, let alone those based on languages, but I don't think it seems to be a bad approach. You discussed areas you're interested in, why would that be bad?

I thought the commentary on the media you presented had to be more about your perspectives and arguments on them, but I did more of a summary on each item.
Original post by jmrami
I thought the commentary on the media you presented had to be more about your perspectives and arguments on them, but I did more of a summary on each item.

...So you literally just described everything? Did you not say things like this interested me because...?
The personal statement is used to give a summary and a taster of some of your current ideas on things, and in your case, this should be the ideas and personal views on the things you've read or watched or listened to. As you've just summed up what you've looked at it certainly will make your personal statement weaker than what it could be, but by no means is it the end of the world.
Reply 5
Original post by xEmilyxx
The personal statement is used to give a summary and a taster of some of your current ideas on things, and in your case, this should be the ideas and personal views on the things you've read or watched or listened to. As you've just summed up what you've looked at it certainly will make your personal statement weaker than what it could be, but by no means is it the end of the world.

I'm sorry if I'm freaking out so much, I'm just an American that applied to Oxford so I don't know if I can afford a weaker personal statement :frown:
Original post by jmrami
I'm sorry if I'm freaking out so much, I'm just an American that applied to Oxford so I don't know if I can afford a weaker personal statement :frown:

It may be an issue then but there's no reason to worry when its out of your hand. Wait until offers get sent back. You can always reapply next year.
Reply 7
Original post by jmrami

Personal statement is a relatively low priority for Oxford, I hear. Besides, if one aspect of your application is weak it's usually not a problem. Actual academic performance will be a much bigger factor.
Reply 8
Original post by anonymous1231231
...So you literally just described everything? Did you not say things like this interested me because...?

I did but not in depth
Reply 9
Original post by Sinnoh
Personal statement is a relatively low priority for Oxford, I hear. Besides, if one aspect of your application is weak it's usually not a problem. Actual academic performance will be a much bigger factor.

That's relieving to hear. Thank you. I guess I'll just focus on the MLAT coming up and IB scores
Reply 10
Original post by jmrami
That's relieving to hear. Thank you. I guess I'll just focus on the MLAT coming up and IB scores

Yep, they are much more important particularly for an international applicant unfamiliar with the UCAS process.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending