The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by rd1709
Hopefully this will be useful in a few months time....

Cambridge Interview Questions

Do you have any for law? Thanks
1)What A-levels are you taking and what grades are you hoping for?
A*A*A
Philosophy
Psychology
Sociology
2)What subject are thinking of applying for at Cambridge?
Philosophy
3)What are your GCSE Grades?
They really aren't great and i'm worried about it. I got one a star, 4 low As, the rest Bs and Cs
4)Why Cambridge?
I want to pick a university where the traditional 'uni experience' of partying and stuff is a side effect of the institution, rather than it being the main purpose that people are there. Also i'm really academic and want to be taught and work with some of the best thinkers around.
About UCAS specifically:
5)Besides Cambridge what other unis are you thinking of applying?
Durham, UCL, Imperial London, London Economics
6)Have you gone to any of the open days for Cambridge?
Not yet, will be in July
7)What are you currently doing (academically especially) to make your application stronger.
As much non A-Level philosophy reading as possible, learning to from my own arguments and think in critical ways. I'm also looking for philosophy events I can attend so if anyone knows of any, let me know!
8)Would you have to sit an admission test, if so, which one.

Yes, for Philosophy!
Hello there; very happy to see this thread has started...

I'm taking:

English Literature (A*)
History (A)
Politics (A*)

As I write these grades I don't even believe that those are the grades I'm aspiring for. It's Year 12 anxiety, I guess...

I'm thinking of applying to do Law at Cambridge! I'm not sure which college yet, or even if I want to do Law, but... it's a rough idea of where I would ideally like to go.

English Language: 8
English Literature: 9
Maths: 5
Combined Science: 7/6
Geography: 7
French: 4
Drama: 7
Business: A
RE: 9

4)Why Cambridge?

Well, to begin with... I much prefer Cambridge to Oxford XD Also, I'd like to go to one of the best unis in the world because I think it would be extremely rewarding to work alongside the smartest minds in the world. I don't come from particularly the most advantaged background, but I've always worked hard in school despite the quality of teaching I had (especially in secondary school). So I think, why not?

About UCAS specifically:

5)Besides Cambridge what other unis are you thinking of applying?

Apart from Cambridge, I'm currently thinking... only Birmingham and LSE at the moment. I know I have 5 choices, but I don't want to rush into what they are. I want to take my time and explore my options.

Nope! Going next year July :smile:

7)What are you currently doing (academically especially) to make your application stronger.

Nothing. I tried musical theatre at my college last Wednesday and well... it wasn't for me. I'm just waiting for all the academic clubs to begin.

I think you have to do both a test and interview for Law? Correct me if I'm wrong...
Reply 23
Original post by Nunu4321

Will keep an eye out...but haven't come across any yet
Reply 24
Original post by New Wonder
Thanks for sharing such useful information. 🙏

Original post by Nunu4321

Original post by rd1709
Will keep an eye out...but haven't come across any yet

Oxf*rd provides some actual questions, and discusses "answers"
http://www.ox.ac.uk/admissions/undergraduate/applying-to-oxford/guide/interviews#content-tab--4

HOWEVER, do not try rote learning loads of sample questions and answers. The whole point of the interview(s) is to see how you think when presented with new information. They aren't interested in the "right" answer, but they are interested in how you approach it - so just giving a canned response tells them nothing except that you've read it somewhere else.

If you answer a question "with ease" they will very quickly change tack and up the ante.

Don't overprepare (especially not in Y12... ).
(edited 5 years ago)
Hy reply me
Reply 26
Original post by Saheb khan
Hy reply me

Me
Maths: A*
Chemistry: A*
Biology:A*

Medicine (yes, I'm just another medic lol)

8A* 1A 1B (including four 9 one 8 and one 6)

4)Why Cambridge?
World renown status, especially for medicine. Also didn't get "oxford medicine standard gcse" so unless I completely ace BMAT looks like I'm either applying to Cambridge or Imperial for my big choice
About UCAS specifically: 5)Besides Cambridge what other unis are you thinking of applying?
Imperial, UEA, Leeds, leicester
Nope
Became a qualified first aider, volunteering at rugby matches as a first aider, MUN debating club, volunteering with maths and a disabled person, planning on doing maths/chem olympiad, 4 work experience at a hospital, Medsoc, want to do a MOOCs, going to a do a medicine course during the holidays,
Both UKCAT and BMAT
New Admission Statistics Update - check it out!
Reply 29
New Admission Statistics Update - check it out!

What's changed? 2018 acceptances haven't been released yet.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Doonesbury
What's changed? 2018 acceptances haven't been released yet.

Posted from TSR Mobile

No they are not out yet - I was just updating the post to include all the admission statistics up to 2017. 2018 statistics will be out soon though.
Reply 31
No they are not out yet - I was just updating the post to include all the admission statistics up to 2017. 2018 statistics will be out soon though.

Hmm, but the pdfs were released in May so I'm still not sure what's new?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hmm, but the pdfs were released in May so I'm still not sure what's new?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I am just informing everyone of the statistics - that’s all. I will update the post when the 2018 stats are released.
Reply 33
I am just informing everyone of the statistics - that’s all. I will update the post when the 2018 stats are released.

I see.

Although a simple link to https://www.undergraduate.study.cam.ac.uk/apply/statistics does that :wink:

Posted from TSR Mobile

I know but I tried to make it simple.
Reply 35
1) What A-Levels are you taking and what grades are you hoping for?

I’m doing Maths, Physics, Biology, English Literature and French currently at AS Level, but I will most likely drop French after AS, doing the other 4 for both years.

Ideally, I would like to get 5A’s at AS, and at A2 I would ideally get A* in Maths and English Lit, and A*/A in Physics and Biology.

2) What subject are you thinking of applying for at Cambridge?

Economics

3) What are your GCSE Grades?

Maths - 9
English Language - 9
English Literature - 9
Biology - 8
Physics - 8
ICT - 9
RE - 8
Further Maths - A*
Art - 8
French - 9
Geography - 8

4) Why Cambridge?

I have always been an academic and would absolutely love to be able to go to the top university in the UK and work with some of the top people in their respective fields, and also I absolutely love the city as I have visited many times and can definitely picture myself living there more than anywhere else.

5) Besides Cambridge what other unis are you thinking of applying?

Not sure but probably 4 from: LSE, Queens Belfast, UCL, KCL, Durham, Warwick, Loughborough.

6) Have you gone to any of the open days for Cambridge?

Not yet..

7) What are you currently doing (academically especially) to make your application stronger.

Other than working as hard as possible to get great grades at A-Level, I’m doing wider reading and looking for work experience at a bank/accountants, also going to compete in the UKMT, but I really need to get more super-curriculars ......

8) Would you have to sit an admission test, if so, which one?

Yes the Economics Admissions Assessment.

Can’t believe it’s less than a year until we apply 😬
Reply 36
Oxf*rd provides some actual questions, and discusses "answers"

My God, Blasphemy!
So... does anyone really understand how they pick the Oxford/Cambridge colleges for successful applicants?
Reply 38
Original post by HisMajesty_Kwabz
So... does anyone really understand how they pick the Oxford/Cambridge colleges for successful applicants?

Pick a college you like. Your college choice makes no difference to your overall chances of an Oxbridge offer.

Note that for both Cambridge and Oxf*rd roughly 20% of offers come from a different college anyway due to their admissions "pooling" mechanisms.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Pick a college you like. Your college choice makes no difference to your overall chances of an Oxbridge offer.

Note that for both Cambridge and Oxf*rd roughly 20% of offers come from a different college anyway due to their admissions "pooling" mechanisms.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thank you Doonesbury :smile:

But I don't know which college I like? How do they differ? Are some better than others? Sorry for all the questions.

Also, why the Oxf*rd?

Latest

Trending

Trending