The Student Room Group
Students on campus at the University of Newcastle
Newcastle University
Newcastle-upon-Tyne
Visit website

Newcastle PARTNERS Application Procedure?

Im hoping to apply to Medicine through the Newcastle PARTNERS Programme but I'm not entirely sure how it works. I've looked on the website but I still have some questions:

- Do I have to submit my UCAS application before or at the same time as the online PARTNERS application?

- Do I have to forward the Teacher Application Section to my teacher myself, or does the University email them?

- How long does it usually take to be confirmed? The application deadline is October 15th, so I'm wondering how soon before that date I should apply through PARTNERS to ensure that the application isn't late? (My teachers also have to write and attach my references after I submit my application so this will also take time.)

- Do PARTNERS applicants receive a lowered UKCAT cutoff?

- How competitive is it to secure a place on the PARTNERS scheme and what is the selection criteria?

Any other help/information would be greatly appreciated :smile:
(edited 6 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by TomSuffolk
Im hoping to apply to Medicine through the Newcastle PARTNERS Programme but I'm not entirely sure how it works. I've looked on the website but I still have some questions:

- Do I have to submit my UCAS application before or at the same time as the online PARTNERS application?

- Do I have to forward the Teacher Application Section to my teacher myself, or does the University email them?

- How long does it usually take to be confirmed? The application deadline is October 15th, so I'm wondering how soon before that date I should apply through PARTNERS to ensure that the application isn't late?

Any other help/information would be greatly appreciated :smile:

I'll tag Newcastle uni into this @Newcastle University, and move the thread to the Newcastle University forum.
Students on campus at the University of Newcastle
Newcastle University
Newcastle-upon-Tyne
Visit website
Original post by DreamlinerFinder
I'll tag Newcastle uni into this @Newcastle University, and move the thread to the Newcastle University forum.

Thankyou 😊

I've already messaged Newcastle University on TSR but I wasn't sure how's long they'd take to reply haha
Thankyou 😊

I've already messaged Newcastle University on TSR but I wasn't sure how's long they'd take to reply haha

Can't tell you how long they'll take to reply unfortunately.
Original post by DreamlinerFinder

Cheers, I'll take it from here :wink:

Persephone
You missed the boat mate.

I just did the PARTNERS summer school and program. It's done for this year.
Original post by Kierensaddlr
You missed the boat mate.

I just did the PARTNERS summer school and program. It's done for this year.

I'm applying for 2018 entry 😊

How was the summer school though, which subject did you do?
I'm applying for 2018 entry 😊

How was the summer school though, which subject did you do?

Ooooh, gotcha.

I did the Historical Studies strand. The lecturer was a laugh, class act. Overall a fun as hell experience. Meet so many new people.
Hi Tom,

OK, let's go through these questions...

Your PARTNERS application won't be processed until your UCAS application has been submitted, and you need to put your UCAS ID on the the PARTNERS form. So do UCAS first :smile:

The Uni will contact your teacher who will then verify your application, add any further info about extenuating circumstances etc. If your teacher hasn't acted as a contact for a PARTNERS application before, they'll need to e-mail [email protected] so that the team have their details.

- How long does it usually take to be confirmed? The application deadline is October 15th, so I'm wondering how soon before that date I should apply through PARTNERS to ensure that the application isn't late? (My teachers also have to write and attach my references after I submit my application so this will also take time.)

Yeah, you will still need to stick to the October deadline as a PARTNERS applicant. You should be told if you've been provisionally accepted with a few weeks, but then the usual Medical School application process applies. Being provisionally accepted doesn't guarantee that you will receive an offer for Medicine. If your UKCAT is high enough then you will be invited for an interview, and then the Medical School aims to have all offers and rejections processed by 31 March.

- Do PARTNERS applicants receive a lowered UKCAT cutoff?

This is at the Medical School's discretion - in some years the UKCAT cutoff for PARTNERS applicants has been lower, but in some years it's been the same for all applicants. The thresholds aren't decided until after you've sat the UKCAT, so I'm afraid I can't give any advice on that front!

- How competitive is it to secure a place on the PARTNERS scheme and what is the selection criteria?

To get a place on PARTNERS you need to fulfill at least one of the eligibility criteria. If you're accepted onto the scheme then you need to firm the PARTNERS offer and fulfill all conditions of the offer (which includes attending the PARTNERS Summer School and passing the assessments/final project).

I have don't any details on the percentage of applicants who are accepted, but I can ask the team if there are any stats that they can pass on?

Hope that helps!

Persephone
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by Newcastle University
Hi Tom,

OK, let's go through these questions...

Your PARTNERS application won't be processed until your UCAS application has been submitted, and you need to put your UCAS ID on the the PARTNERS form. So do UCAS first :smile:

The Uni will contact your teacher who will then verify your application, add any further info about extenuating circumstances etc. If your teacher hasn't acted as a contact for a PARTNERS application before, they'll need to e-mail [email protected] so that the team have their details.

Yeah, you will still need to stick to the October deadline as a PARTNERS applicant. You should be told if you've been provisionally accepted with a few weeks, but then the usual Medical School application process applies. Being provisionally accepted doesn't guarantee that you will receive an offer for Medicine. If your UKCAT is high enough then you will be invited for an interview, and then the Medical School aims to have all offers and rejections processed by 31 March.

This is at the Medical School's discretion - in some years the UKCAT cutoff for PARTNERS applicants has been lower, but in some years it's been the same for all applicants. The thresholds aren't decided until after you've sat the UKCAT, so I'm afraid I can't give any advice on that front!

To get a place on PARTNERS you need to fulfill at least one of the eligibility criteria. If you're accepted onto the scheme then you need to firm the PARTNERS offer and fulfill all conditions of the offer (which includes attending the PARTNERS Summer School and passing the assessments/final project).

I don't any details on the percentage of applicants who are accepted, but I can ask the scheme if there are any stats that they can pass on?

Hope that helps!

Persephone

Thankyou so much for the help,

I don't think my teacher has ever been in contact with PARTNERS, so what kind of things should they include in the email?

Also is there any additional selection criteria (aside from the eligibility criteria), or is selection completely random as long as you meet the eligibility criteria?

And yes please that would be great if you could find more information, would it be possible to also find how much the UKCAT cutoff was lowered for PARTNERS applicants (in the instances where it was actually lowered.)
(edited 6 years ago)

I don't think my teacher has ever been in contact with PARTNERS, so what kind of things should they include in the email?

Also is there any additional selection criteria (aside from the eligibility criteria), or is selection completely random as long as you meet the eligibility criteria?

And yes please that would be great if you could find more information, would it be possible to also find how much the UKCAT cutoff was lowered for PARTNERS applicants (in the instances where it was actually lowered.)

I did it all myself, aside from asking my sixth form team the odd Q or two.
Original post by Kierensaddlr
I did it all myself, aside from asking my sixth form team the odd Q or two.

I thought you needed a teacher to verify your application?
I thought you needed a teacher to verify your application?

Oh yeah, that. I think you do.

Hi Tom,

Your teacher will need to send their full name and job title and their work e-mail address to [email protected]

Getting accepted onto PARTNERS is simply a case of meeting the eligibility criteria, there isn't a limited number of spaces that you are competing for. PARTNERS itself doesn't guarantee that you'll receive an offer/interview. That's the competitive bit, and will rely on your UKCAT, academic achievement, personal statement, references etc etc

I asked the Medical School about the lower PARTNERS cutoff and this was their response:

It is not guaranteed that the UKCAT threshold will be lowered for Widening Participation (WP) applicants, this decision is made later in the year and is dependent upon the UKCAT achievement of the WP group.

The UKCAT cut off threshold for WP applicants for 2017 entry was 2100.

Hope that helps,

Persephone
Original post by Newcastle University
Hope that helps,

Persephone

Do you know the WP cut offs for previous years?
Hi,
I am interested in PARTNERS for medical school as well!
I don't really understand what is meant by the summer school, is this something we HAVE to attend if we want to apply via Partners
Original post by mynameisno123
Hi,
I am interested in PARTNERS for medical school as well!
I don't really understand what is meant by the summer school, is this something we HAVE to attend if we want to apply via Partners

Hi,

Yes the summer school is a compulsory part of the PARTNERS process. You will attend the summer school in July 2019 before starting at the University - you can only attend the summer school if you have been made an offer through PARTNERS and firmly accepted this. Successful completion of the summer school is necessary in order for your offer of a place to be confirmed.

More information can be found here: https://www.ncl.ac.uk/schools/partners/summer-school/

Hope this helps :smile:

Valentina
I'v just applied for medicine today with a P in the further details section however i was unable to send off the Partners application as no referees were available to select for me, when is the Partners deadline?
Original post by Anonymousegetit?
I'v just applied for medicine today with a P in the further details section however i was unable to send off the Partners application as no referees were available to select for me, when is the Partners deadline?

Hi,

The deadline is the same as the UCAS deadline for applications, it isn't different for PARTNERS.

Valentina
Hi do u apply to partners in year 13?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending