Scroll to see replies

Is that even legal? :s-smilie:
Original post by RichPiana
Is that even legal? :s-smilie:

Yes.
this is unhealthy.
Original post by Secretnerd123
this is unhealthy.

Why? I sleep 8 hours a day, my diet is perfectly healthy (meal prep ftw), go gym 3 to 4 days a week in the best shape of my life and the strongest I've ever been. I go out with friends once or twice a month in the evenings. What is unhealthy about my life?
Just because you've never seen one doesn't mean they don't exist. I've never seen a penguin in real life, wait...

Srs reply. 100 hours pharmacies.
Got any tips for the pre-reg exam? I'm currently in my pre-reg year :smile:
Original post by TSA
Why? I sleep 8 hours a day, my diet is perfectly healthy (meal prep ftw), go gym 3 to 4 days a week in the best shape of my life and the strongest I've ever been. I go out with friends once or twice a month in the evenings. What is unhealthy about my life?

why do you work 7 days?

how long after weight lifting will I see results?
Original post by hopeful_pharm
Got any tips for the pre-reg exam? I'm currently in my pre-reg year :smile:

Competencies: Do them as you go along, I kept a notebook and just jotted down small facts and things I did throughout my work and then every couple of days would do a couple competencies.

Exam: Don't underestimate calculations, once you know how to do them they're pretty straight forward but work on speed and accuracy. Read the question and how they want you to show your answer (decimal points for example and how many digits after it)
Don't overdo it with the resources.
BNF, MEP, RTS book should suffice. Make sure you know these inside out. Also don't forget to read the first few pages of the BNF and MHRA warnings in the BNF. I read the BNF through a couple of times. Making notes etc, through work you should get an idea of the more popular and frequently used drugs, focus on these more. Make sure you know the high weighted sections inside out but don't underestimate the low weighted. Past papers aren't good for giving you an idea of how you'll do in the exam but are good for teaching you how to think about answers. Not all past paper questions are correct. A good way of revising is with friends and discussing different questions. It's an exam of application of knowledge not parrot learning, saying that they're are some things you have to know in parrot fashion, e.g paracetamol and ibuprofen dosing for children. Why you need to know this god knows. You just look it up in practice but Gphc say learn it so you gotta.
You will never know everything, you will be learning up until the last day but the goal is to become familiar with the BNF, and an expert on the frequently used drugs.
I spent till end of christmas just reading through each chapter of the bnf over a couple days every day after work. From January to March making notes, then from March till about two weeks before the exam studying the notes. I was ready two weeks before the exam.
Save your annual leave for a month before the exam (this should be more than enough) if you've worked throughout your year.
Rutters RTS book is great. The tables are really useful (minimum and maximum ages, interactions, CIs make sure you know them well and age groups)
I have a couple of files of past papers that I'll be happy handing over if you want. Just send me a message. Good luck it's a difficult year, make some sacrifices, study hard and it'll pay off.
I got 90% in calcs and clinical paper. Just sayin'
Was it hard finding a job after completing your pre reg?
Any advice to anyone applying for pharmacy?
Original post by Secretnerd123
why do you work 7 days?

how long after weight lifting will I see results?

I want to apply for med, it's a second degree so I'll have to fund it myself. I sorta enjoy the job, the challenges but at the same time it's not that difficult or taxing and I'm kinda bored so thought working more will be more of a challenge. Not exactly manual labour intensive.

Weightlifting is a lengthy process, it won't be over night. Focus on increasing your lift numbers, if you squat 40kg for 2 reps aim for 3 reps then 4. Increase in weight lifted will be easier to track and see progress in. Eventually changes in body will come. The key is consistency, slow and steady gains. Keep an eye on diet but don't get obsessive. Enjoy yourself. IIFYM (if it fits your macros) is a good way of eating to follow. In terms of programming, do something you enjoy and stick to it. Don't jump from one program to another. It's a game of patience. Results will come.
Original post by TSA
Competencies: Do them as you go along, I kept a notebook and just jotted down small facts and things I did throughout my work and then every couple of days would do a couple competencies.

Exam: Don't underestimate calculations, once you know how to do them they're pretty straight forward but work on speed and accuracy. Read the question and how they want you to show your answer (decimal points for example and how many digits after it)
BNF, MEP, RTS book should suffice. Make sure you know these inside out. Also don't forget to read the first few pages of the BNF and MHRA warnings in the BNF. I read the BNF through a couple of times. Making notes etc, through work you should get an idea of the more popular and frequently used drugs, focus on these more. Make sure you know the high weighted sections inside out but don't underestimate the low weighted. Past papers aren't good for giving you an idea of how you'll do in the exam but are good for teaching you how to think about answers. Not all past paper questions are correct. A good way of revising is with friends and discussing different questions. It's an exam of application of knowledge not parrot learning, saying that they're are some things you have to know in parrot fashion, e.g paracetamol and ibuprofen dosing for children. Why you need to know this god knows. You just look it up in practice but Gphc say learn it so you gotta.
You will never know everything, you will be learning up until the last day but the goal is to become familiar with the BNF, and an expert on the frequently used drugs.
I spent till end of christmas just reading through each chapter of the bnf over a couple days every day after work. From January to March making notes, then from March till about two weeks before the exam studying the notes. I was ready two weeks before the exam.
Save your annual leave for a month before the exam (this should be more than enough) if you've worked throughout your year.
Rutters RTS book is great. The tables are really useful (minimum and maximum ages, interactions, CIs make sure you know them well and age groups)
I have a couple of files of past papers that I'll be happy handing over if you want. Just send me a message. Good luck it's a difficult year, make some sacrifices, study hard and it'll pay off.

Thanks a lot! Some good extensive advice there :biggrin:
Thanks a lot! Some good extensive advice there :biggrin:

I suffered through my pre reg. I had no help from my tutor, no protected study time and essentially ran the pharmacy on my own, I was dispenser, counter assistant, and manager. Averaged 4 hours of sleep a night because I would come home and do stuff for quality payments, and information governance then study on top of that. For lack of a better word I was exploited by an independent. No pre reg should have to feel that way but the gphc and rps were useless and who do you complain to when the person exploiting you is the same person you have to report to, pays your salary and signs you off as competent? It's a pretty **** system with no accountability for tutors, but that's the pharmacy world, no decent union, no help, dog eat dog.
Original post by TSA
I suffered through my pre reg. I had no help from my tutor, no protected study time and essentially ran the pharmacy on my own, I was dispenser, counter assistant, and manager. Averaged 4 hours of sleep a night because I would come home and do stuff for quality payments, and information governance then study on top of that. For lack of a better word I was exploited by an independent. No pre reg should have to feel that way but the gphc and rps were useless and who do you complain to when the person exploiting you is the same person you have to report to, pays your salary and signs you off as competent? It's a pretty **** system with no accountability for tutors, but that's the pharmacy world, no decent union, no help, dog eat dog.

Oh wow that's rough... Sounds like my worst nightmare! Good thing you passed and got the hell out of there. Locuming pays pretty good too I've heard
Original post by Issagoal28
Was it hard finding a job after completing your pre reg?
Any advice to anyone applying for pharmacy?

Not at all. I had an offer for a manager position after pre reg but turned it down. There are plenty of vacancies. However this will become more difficult as time goes on with new pharmacy school opening and a surplus of pharmacists entering the field.

Do some work experience, really think about if it's something you will enjoy doing. Talk to as many pharmacists as you can, (old and young, I find the older ones have a very pessimistic view on the sector so make sure you talk to people that enjoy their job too) The old tend to be bitter because they made so much money from essentially dispensing and nothing else, now to make the same money you have to provide services which requires work and effort which they don't want to do. The younger pharmacists don't know any different so they may have a more optimistic view on it. The course is very chemistry and biology orientated but the career isn't. Community isn't anyway. Hospital is more clinical. Industry is more academic.
Oh wow that's rough... Sounds like my worst nightmare! Good thing you passed and got the hell out of there. Locuming pays pretty good too I've heard

Meh good is subjective. A lot of responsibility. You walk into some pharmacies which should be closed down due to how dangerous some of the things they do are and you're in the firing line because you're RP. But you walk into a well run busy pharmacy it's all chill. You can focus on patients and counselling and checking instead of admin stuff. Pros and cons to locum work it ain't all money, money money.
How did you find your first day as a pharmacist?
Original post by _precious

Not too bad a little daunting, luckily I was in a pharmacy with double cover on my first shift and wasn't RP so wasn't that bad. The second shift I was on my own but having built confidence from the day before it was pretty chilled.
Original post by TSA

Wow, i found this very informative, i would love to collect those past papers if you have them in soft copy. thanks in advance

Latest

Trending

Trending