The Student Room Group

Students who got all grade 9s at GCSE

Hi, my aim is to get all Grade 9s at GCSE and I think I'm on the right track at the moment. However, I wanted to get some input/tips from people who got grade 9s in all their subjects. How did you study, how much did you study, your predicted grades etc. I'd also appreciate any specific subject tips ( how you got a grade 9 in math or English)
Even if you didn't get all grade 9s (maybe you only got one or two) I'd still appreciate any on how you got that grade 9. Even if you didn't get any grade 9s I'd love to have some input on what you wish you did or how you think I could go about it.
Subjects I study:
Maths
English language
English literature
RE
Chemistry
Physics
Biology
History
French
Computing
Psychology
Thank you for your time!
UPDATE: This thread has a lot of good advice: https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=5616808#primary_content
(edited 5 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
watching this thread because I'd love some advice too!
Reply 2
Original post by lunarr.
watching this thread because I'd love some advice too!

Thank you.
Reply 3
@DGeorge13 I saw on another thread (introduction into year 12) that this chap attained ten grade 9s this year. I think he can give you good advice.

Sorry for the random tag DGeorge. :tongue:
i got 14 9s
what i did fool around unti 7 months before exam then i woke up at 2am to study -drastic change fellas
Reply 6
Original post by Tolgarda
@DGeorge13 I saw on another thread (introduction into year 12) that this chap attained ten grade 9s this year. I think he can give you good advice.

Hi, do you mind sharing the link with me?
Reply 7
Original post by Sports10
what i did fool around unti 7 months before exam then i woke up at 2am to study -drastic change fellas

How were you able to cope with waking up at 2 am every day?
Reply 8
Original post by Popella
Hi, my aim is to get all Grade 9s at GCSE and I think I'm on the right track at the moment. However, I wanted to get some input/tips from people who got grade 9s in all their subjects. How did you study, how much did you study, your predicted grades etc. I'd also appreciate any specific subject tips ( how you got a grade 9 in math or English)
Even if you didn't get all grade 9s (maybe you only got one or two) I'd still appreciate any on how you got that grade 9. Even if you didn't get any grade 9s I'd love to have some input on what you wish you did or how you think I could go about it.
Subjects I study:
Maths
English language
English literature
RE
Chemistry
Physics
Biology
History
French
Computing
Psychology
Thank you for your time!
UPDATE: This thread has a lot of good advice: https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=5616808#primary_content

UPDATE: So does this thread: https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=4979350
Reply 9
Original post by Popella
Hi, do you mind sharing the link with me?

https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=5541336&page=3

He mentioned it on this thread.

There was also another straight 9 student I talked to recently, you can ask them for help on their GYG thread:

https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?p=80013632&highlight=
I got 5 9s 5 8s and an A*
My biggest advice is to not stress your self out about getting all 9s and to actually enjoy yourself and take care of your mental health.
For me, stressing out probably had quite a negative affect on my grades. On the nights before a couple of my exams I couldn't sleep because I was stressed out about them which probably caused me to get lower marks than I should have. I have friends who flunked their exams due to them panicking too much during the exam and not being able to concentrate. Telling you all this might stress you out even more but my point is this : you need to be stressed out the right amount. You need to be stressed enough so that you actually revised but not so stressed to the point where it negatively affects your performance.
Imo, targeting yourself to get all 9s is going to put you under too much pressure in the long run. There is no practical reason to get all 9s at all. Yes you should do as well as possible but there is no reason to get all 9s. There are people who got into Oxbridge who didn't even pass all their gcses and there are people who got all A*s and were rejected. It really isn't that relevant and once you start your a levels you will realise how irrelevant they really are.
Okay so now I will tell you how to avoid stress:
1) Start revision early - This will help you to be less stressed. The later you start revising. the more you are essentially cramming the knowledge and the more stressful it will be. I didn't revise for RE until the day before the exam and let me tell you it was stressful lol. Don't be me.
2) Revise in an enjoyable way - My method of revision was to just read the revision guide again and again which as you can imagine was very boring. This resulted in me being very depressed and doing less revision than I should have done. I would advise you find a way that you actually enjoy. Making posters is technically less efficient but if you enjoy it then you will end up doing more revision in the long run.
3) Still have fun - so many people become anti social and shut themselves up in their rooms around exam season. This is definitely not what you should do. You should still take part in hobbies and get regular exercise during exams. Reward your hard work with something you enjoy whether that be going for a walk or watching an episode of a series on Netflix lol this will help you enormously. Still go and see friends and try not to talk about exams with them. Remember that there is a whole world out there outside of exams.

I hope this helps. I'm not trying to be critical when I say you shouldn't aim for all 9s. There's nothing wrong with being ambitious but I just think that having such high targets will do more harm than good. Although it's your call but just make sure you take care of your mental health and realise that GCSEs aren't everything.
Original post by Nihilisticb*tch
It really isn't that relevant and once you start your a levels you will realise how irrelevant they really are.

I second this. It took me a while to realise, but sixth form was a big slap in the face that I got with regards to the relevance of GCSEs.
(edited 5 years ago)
I second this. It took me a while to realise, but sixth form was the big slap in the face that I got with regards to the relevance of GCSEs.

Ikr. GCSEs aren't THAT important at all. Getting good grades at GCSE does not at all guarantee that you'll get good grades at A level and most universities really don't give a **** anyway.
Original post by Nihilisticb*tch
Ikr. GCSEs aren't THAT important at all. Getting good grades at GCSE does not at all guarantee that you'll get good grades at A level and most universities really don't give a **** anyway.

Yep.
i passed only like 4/5 subjects but got 3 in geography, spanish and combined science (foundation) do i need to retake them again?

OMG REALLY? how on earth did u manage that.
for me personally if i manage to wake up at 5 or 6 to study i can only do it for a few days and then i cant anymore. and did u find urself productive by waking up so early?

oh shoot never mind i just realised this thread is from 2 years ago
i'm predicted to have a few 9s and i wish i started revising earlier but in smaller chunks - i knew all of the content i just wasn't fully confident with it so i had a bit of trouble applying it to some of the actual questions. don't leave revision to a month before your big exams!!
Actually making posters is more effective than re-reading. It's OK to make a few posters for each subtopic, but after that it's kind of a battle of diminishing returns, and by then it's a good idea to start practice questions.
Original post by meymey:)
oh shoot never mind i just realised this thread is from 2 years ago

I mean I'm not that person but, I don't think what they are doing is a good idea.
Sleep is SO SO IMPORTANT. I swear, I'm the only one who sleeps at 8 pm sharp in my class, but I'm also the one who finds it the easiest to concentrate in class, and I never have issues of concentration when I sleep enough, eat enough (and healthy), and exercise enough. I'm a very frail person too, so if it works for a wimp like me who gets sick with killer migraines at the drop of a hat, it'll probably work for you. Even just getting enough sleep will help, even if you don't do exercise or improve your diet much. The first few nights will be painful to get through, but as you practice you will get better and better at falling asleep until you can do it in around 20 minutes. Best life skill to have, all my friends look at me with envy. It'll be especially useful for the painful grind of work that awaits after the gcse years too.
For study, do a MANAGEABLE AMOUNT consistently. I did 3 hours every day, but that's already too much stress on me. 2 hours a day is better. I did try and see if I could do more, but after trying and being sick and bedridden for 4 days, it's a definite no go. So don't do anything more than you can manage, please.

Latest