The Student Room Group

Why does the Russell Group matter to you?

Okay so, I made this thread as I've recently been reading threads on universities in the Russell Group and find myself curious to know why people have chosen to study at Russell Group universities as its considered to be the group of the 'top' universities.

I, myself study at a Russell Group and the reason why I chose it was because of its course and the actual university itself. But, I notice some young people here get obsessed over rankings and stress themselves into getting into a Russell Group university. I applied to four non Russell Group universities and one Russell Group.

Why do people obsess over the group and do they realise its only for university research and does not determine the university's prestige?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by Rhythmical
Okay so, I made this thread as I've recently been reading threads on universities in the Russell Group and find myself curious to know why people have chosen to study at Russell Group universities as its considered to be the group of the 'top' universities.

I, myself study at a Russell Group and the reason why I chose it was because of its course and the actual university itself. But, I notice some young people here get obsessed over rankings and stress themselves into getting into a Russell Group university. I applied to four non Russell Group universities and one Russell Group.

Why do people obsess over the group and do they realise its only for university research and does not determine the university's prestige?

This is a topic for Educational Debate, so I'm moving your thread there :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
Original post by Doonesbury
This is a topic for Educational Debate, so I'm moving your thread there :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks, apologises I forgot how TSR worked.
It doesn't.
They care because they think other people care.
well I was thinking about city and that’s not even a Russel group uni. And these top unis are top for a reason
(edited 5 years ago)
doesn't mean anything. RG is a group of unis that produce good research.. doesn't say anything about how within the RG, at the undergrad level, they are a random clumping of different unis that draw different types of people, with different levels of achievement, with different graduate outcomes..

the only thing RG tells you is that the uni is probably not completely terrible and at least top 40 ish in reputation.
Reply 8
Not all russell group unis are as good, like for biomedical science, most of the ones that currently offer accredited biomedical science are non russell group
Reply 9
Presumably the main reason it matters to anyone is because their parents are uninformed and obsess over it.
I had not heard of the Russell Group prior to joining TSR in March.
Original post by Sinnoh

That could either mean TSR has been a useful education or a window into the world of sharp-elbowed middle class kids and their parents. I'm not sure which is more accurate.
Reply 11
Original post by Reality Check
That could either mean TSR has been a useful education or a window into the world of sharp-elbowed middle class kids and their parents. I'm not sure which is more accurate.

I think more likely the latter - I don't think the level at which people worry about this sort of thing could come about naturally. When there are all these threads popping up on GCSE results day about whether they can get into a Russell Group university with their grades, I can't help but think that this is the result of parental pressure and misinformation rather than the fault of the students themselves.
Original post by Sinnoh
I think more likely the latter - I don't think the level at which people worry about this sort of thing could come about naturally. When there are all these threads popping up on GCSE results day about whether they can get into a Russell Group university with their grades, I can't help but think that this is the result of parental pressure and misinformation rather than the fault of the students themselves.

Yes - I think you're spot on there. TSR doesn't really help though, as some beauty parade of (often inflated) results which leads pupils to think that if they've got a single 5 grade in their GCSE 'portfolio', they're somehow doomed to a life of either cleaning or going on the tills in Asda, such is their 'failure'.
Original post by Sinnoh
Presumably the main reason it matters to anyone is because their parents are uninformed and obsess over it.

The press and increasingly local and national government seem to love parroting the phrase 'elite Russell Group universities' so presumably parents reading that feel it's something new they don't want their kids missing out on... The Russell Group didn't exist at all before 1994 and didn't really get much traction with the general public for a few years after that.

It makes a sort of sense for a school or sixth form to brag about the number of students it sends to Russell Group unis - you'd expect a school that claims to be good to hit the Russell Group fairly often just by the play of chance... of course the proxy soon becomes the target itself & I think teachers might be tempted to sway students towards the group in order to give the the principal something to boast about on the website rather than necessarily trying to serve the students best interests.
the Rustle Group is mainly lame Oxbridge wannabes.... plus Oxbridge

:dontknow:
I did not go to a RG university, and I am not bothered. I applied to Cass because of it's reputation, the course and the business contacts they have. It is one of the best Business Schools in the country, regardless of whether or not it is part of a group.
Reply 16
I went because other people care, even though they shouldn't, but if I can give myself a 1-up when applying for jobs and take advantage of a trivial thing, then why not.

Also due to them being top researchers - my degree was research-focused and having people that are (sometimes) at the forefront of their fields lecturing you is actually extremely helpful when it comes to learning and understanding theories and the intricacies of research.
Well, it might matter to you but it surely does not matter to your future employer :biggrin:
Original post by J-SP
Most people can’t even spell the term correctly on here....

Ngl, that's me. :rofl: :getmecoat:
TBF it's the graun telling us that, not the prof.

But like the rest of the papers it does almost seem like they've got it written into the style guide that the Russell Group must always be refered to as 'The prestigious Russell Group' or 'The elite Russell Group'

Always sets my teeth a little on edge when I see it - those 3 words are breaking at least 2 of George Orwells 6 rules for good journalistic writing... you get the unsettling impression you're reading a stream of brain numbing cliches.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending