The Student Room Group

A level history help!

Hi
So I have no idea how to revise for A level history at all!
I'm now in year 13 and I don't know much from last year due to my rubbish teacher :frown:

How do you revise history?

How am I supposed to remember all of the dates, key people and key events from both year 12 and 13!

Help?!

Should I make notes? (this will take me forever! But will it help?)

Should I watch videos ... What should I do??

I'm stressing so please can someone advise me...

Thank you :smile:

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Ariel2611
Hi
I'm now in year 13 and I don't know much from last year due to my rubbish teacher :frown:

How am I supposed to remember all of the dates, key people and key events from both year 12 and 13!

Help?!

Revision is personal to you. Try different methods and see if they work. Key dates aren't as HUGELY important as some of the other knowledge available. If you gwt the year right then that's good enough, sometimes the month might help you if you're talking about a close time period, but generally not otherwise.

My best advice would be focus your revision on the sorts of questions you might get asked. If the exam has an essay: your revision can be to plan some essays.
(edited 5 years ago)
It depends on what you find useful for revision but I used flashcards to memorise dates and events and do practice essays.
Reply 3
Hi

Help?!

Hi @Ariel2611,

As a fellow history student I will reccomend flashcards, mind maps and essay plans.
What topics do you do?
Original post by Jasmine528
It depends on what you find useful for revision but I used flashcards to memorise dates and events and do practice essays.

But how is that supposed to help me remember content that may come up in the exam? Obviously the questions will be different and therefore require different key knowledge...

Thank you! :smile:
There are general themes that repeat (such as how Cold War started) so it is useful in having some arguments prepared and if you don't have the correct exam technique the knowledge will only get you so far.
Original post by Jasmine528
There are general themes that repeat (such as how Cold War started) so it is useful in having some arguments prepared and if you don't have the correct exam technique the knowledge will only get you so far.

Hey! I'm also in Y13 and got A*s consistently last year, it's a lot of work but here's what I did
- make quizlets for each topic. They don't have to be detailed but something you can learn from, it's interactive and for me much faster than making colour coded notes
- practice exam questions!! Even if you only write a few out fully, plan as many as you can - it will help because one (or one similar) could come up, and, as you plan more, you will get quicker, which buys you time for writing in the exam. Also, it will highlight gaps in your knowledge.
- Teacher feedback! Hand in some practice you've done to your teacher for marking, then you can get feedback on how to improve.
Hope this has helped!!
Reply 8
Original post by abigailxo
Hey! I'm also in Y13 and got A*s consistently last year, it's a lot of work but here's what I did
- make quizlets for each topic. They don't have to be detailed but something you can learn from, it's interactive and for me much faster than making colour coded notes
- practice exam questions!! Even if you only write a few out fully, plan as many as you can - it will help because one (or one similar) could come up, and, as you plan more, you will get quicker, which buys you time for writing in the exam. Also, it will highlight gaps in your knowledge.
- Teacher feedback! Hand in some practice you've done to your teacher for marking, then you can get feedback on how to improve.
Hope this has helped!!

What exam board do you do?
Original post by 6085
What exam board do you do?

AQA :smile:
Reply 10
AQA :smile:

What topic...
I study: Spain in the age of discovery and Tudors by any chance do we overlap?
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by 6085
What topic...
I do Spain in the age of discovery and Tudors by any chance do we overlap?
Re write it...

The age of disco very... White man brought music and civilisation but the savages were more into human sacrifice. To sort them out... God sent disease and subdued the savage. White man then gave him the horse but still the savage showed no repentance. Instead, he used the horse against his saviour so a great iron horse was sent. Finally the savage repented and was given reserve.
This might sound stupid but what is an essay plan?
This might sound stupid, but what is an essay plan? (Had to sign in, don’t know if it replied)
I’m in year 12 and I’m already struggling with all the names; does anyone have a list with real names and titles (with a bit of info would be great) if not I’ll make on and post it for everyone (if I could ever find A-level history forums to post in, it’s always ‘study help’
Original post by History_helper.
A short summary of what you're going to talk about, often written in bullet point form and shouldn't be much longer than one side of A4 realistically.
Hope this has helped!!

How did you remember all the names?
But how is that supposed to help me remember content that may come up in the exam? Obviously the questions will be different and therefore require different key knowledge...

Learn what applies to what. Learn general dates and info which applies to most (if not all) with a few specific dates or places. if this is A-level make sure you remember ‘names, dates, places’
Original post by 6085
XD
well you lowkey summed up the inquisition

No... I summed up the civilisation of America.
Reply 19
Original post by History_helper.

I believe someone answered the question already but it is basically the answer to the question without writing the essay (It could be seen as a mind map of the answer)

You plan out the agree/disagree paragraphs to the question (recommend 3 paragraphs excluding an introduction and conclusion for a 25 mark essay). For each point you will try to balance it out but not too much that it overrides your main argument. For each paragraph you will include a sentence with the overall argument.

The introduction introduces your main arguments/factors which roughly are always based on social, economic, religious, personal/administration but they vary from topic to topic.

Your conclusion basically sums up why your argument is the best.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending