Original post by Sakura-Chan
Well done :biggrin:

Thank you 😊
Reply 81
Original post by Hollyconc
Amazing!! Well done

Thank you 😊
Reply 82
I had interview this week at Euston tower for Croydon position. I was told it’s the last day of interviews and no more to follow. So, we should start hearing back now.
Hello! I've applied for this role but in Edinburgh (EO), and I have an interview next week. Just wanted to jump in to see if anyone might have some tips or examples of questions that came up when you did the interview? It's my first competency-based interview so just trying to figure out how best to prepare!
Reply 84
Writing down examples to fit the competencies would be the best start - but do not entirely rely on trying to 'read a script' that you can't see in an interview as it can put extra pressure on you and lead to blanking mid sentence. Also, sometimes they can simply ask you to demonstrate a time when you have showed this competency. Sometimes they can ask you a question that would only indicate which competency they are referring to and they target it in an odd way. For example;

Tell me about a time you have demonstrated the competency "Leading and Communicating"

or

Tell me about a time you have persuaded a senior stakeholder to take one of your ideas into consideration.

Both are essentially asking for the same thing, but can throw you off depending on how it's worded. Don't be rigid. Examine your answers and look to where you can expand on them if necessary to suit the actual question - or followup questions.

Also, big piece of advice. Focus on; I did. I arranged. I lead. Avoid using "we" and focus on what you did, where you made impact and the decisions you took. They don't want to know what your team did, or your manager, just what you bring to the table.

My competencies were all based on work experiences so knew what I was talking about , the only thing back of my mind worrying me a bit was the online test scores which were rubbish :P, I've managed to score 7, 7 and 6 in the interview and got the provisional offer so who care about them online test scores now :wink: just be confident and I'm sure you will do fine.
(edited 5 years ago)
Got a start date - 12th November too! And Monday-Friday working hours, hope everyone else finds out soon!
Reply 86
Got a start date - 12th November too! And Monday-Friday working hours, hope everyone else finds out soon!

Congratulations!! Fingers crossed mine comes soon
Reply 87
Congratulations! I'm still waiting for feedback from a different HMRC interview, so I'm kind of selfishly hoping for a bit of a delay with mine!

Great news! Looks like we'll be on the same induction :smile:
Reply 89

Great news & congratulations :smile: , how long it took for them to do pre-employment checks ? I've emailed them 3 documents and also the next stage in CS portal yesterday so I'm hoping to hear something soon.
Original post by Ehty
Great news & congratulations :smile: , how long it took for them to do pre-employment checks ? I've emailed them 3 documents and also the next stage in CS portal yesterday so I'm hoping to hear something soon.

Thank you it took just over two weeks but I’m internal so it will be a bit quicker for me! Hopefully you find out soon
Original post by Ehty
Writing down examples to fit the competencies would be the best start - but do not entirely rely on trying to 'read a script' that you can't see in an interview as it can put extra pressure on you and lead to blanking mid sentence. Also, sometimes they can simply ask you to demonstrate a time when you have showed this competency. Sometimes they can ask you a question that would only indicate which competency they are referring to and they target it in an odd way. For example;

Tell me about a time you have demonstrated the competency "Leading and Communicating"

or

Tell me about a time you have persuaded a senior stakeholder to take one of your ideas into consideration.

Both are essentially asking for the same thing, but can throw you off depending on how it's worded. Don't be rigid. Examine your answers and look to where you can expand on them if necessary to suit the actual question - or followup questions.

Also, big piece of advice. Focus on; I did. I arranged. I lead. Avoid using "we" and focus on what you did, where you made impact and the decisions you took. They don't want to know what your team did, or your manager, just what you bring to the table.

My competencies were all based on work experiences so knew what I was talking about , the only thing back of my mind worrying me a bit was the online test scores which were rubbish :P, I've managed to score 7, 7 and 6 in the interview and got the provisional offer so who care about them online test scores now :wink: just be confident and I'm sure you will do fine.

That's great advice Ehty, thank you! I've based all my examples on work experience too and am fairly happy with them but just worried they might phrase the question in a way that throws me, like you said. My test scores weren't that great either so I'm hoping to do better in the interview :smile:
Original post by Rach2904
That's great advice Ehty, thank you! I've based all my examples on work experience too and am fairly happy with them but just worried they might phrase the question in a way that throws me, like you said. My test scores weren't that great either so I'm hoping to do better in the interview :smile:

If in doubt, I would just start talking about the competency you've prepared. The question I got asked for making effective decisions was about 'making decisions in the face of policies that you were unsure about', which threw me to start with. I knew that my prepared competency would hit every point on the framework, so I just started talking while also thinking of how twist it to answer the question properly.
Reply 93
Just thought I would say hi to those starting in Newcastle soon - my start date is 19Nov :-)
Good luck to those of you still waiting to hear!
Reply 94
Original post by NCL12
Just thought I would say hi to those starting in Newcastle soon - my start date is 19Nov :-)
Good luck to those of you still waiting to hear!

Hey that's great, congratulations :smile: are you external or internal ?
Reply 95
Original post by Ehty
Hey that's great, congratulations :smile: are you external or internal ?

Thank you! I'm external, but I applied back in April.
Reply 96
Original post by NCL12
Thank you! I'm external, but I applied back in April.

Oh alrite , I had my interview on the 21st of Sept got provisional offer on the 12th of oct last Friday, ive submitted all documents on Sunday so now just a waiting game , how long it took them to do employment checks ? I think internal ppl getting this done a bit quicker which is understandable
Reply 97
Original post by Ehty
Oh alrite , I had my interview on the 21st of Sept got provisional offer on the 12th of oct last Friday, ive submitted all documents on Sunday so now just a waiting game , how long it took them to do employment checks ? I think internal ppl getting this done a bit quicker which is understandable

I'm still waiting for Newcastle EO from April 2017's recruitment.

I had my provisional on 14th June and still waiting my security checks now. I've emailed them and they have responded to say that they are still carrying out checks and they cannot give a timescale on when they will be completed.

Hope your wait isn't as long as mine!
Reply 98
U mean April 2018? I hope mine's not hopefully for you going to be anytime now , I'm waiting for Leeds EO tho and I've got my provisional offer just over two weeks and somone mentioned on the day that they looking to recruit for November 2018, but then might be different Newcastle, anyway I hope we both hear something soon :smile:
Reply 99
Unfortunately not. Applied February 2017. Had my interview April 2017. We then had an email In september 2017 to say that they didn’t recruit anyone from the interviews and that they would hopefully have some jobs in 2018, we were all therefore put on a reserve list for 12 months in September 2017 and I was given a provisional offer in June this year. 😂

I’m just hoping that they are waiting until all the latest round of interviews to pass their checks so that they can start a batch of people together
(edited 5 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending