The Student Room Group

is a B good?

Started A levels in September, studying maths, chem bio and RS. In both my RS essays (natural law and Plato/Aristotle) I've got a high B. At GCSE I got all 9s so this really concerns me. I'm planning to drop RS at AS level, so is a B good at this point in the year if I'm aiming for an A?
My friends are currently getting Cs/Ds but I'm still really worried.

side note: the teacher used the grade boundaries from last year and added 2 marks onto them, so I would've got an A according to those but they may go up this year

Scroll to see replies

A B is great, remember it’s the second best grade for AS and you’re almost certainly going to improve from now
Are you being marked at AS standard or A Level? If it's linear teaching (so being marked at A Level), a B is amazing, as it is at AS considering you started a month ago.
Anything above a C this early on at AS is amazing!
A-Levels are a lot harder than GCSEs, so almost everyone struggles at the start as they need to change up their study technique and exam technique to A-Level standard, which is why most students don't do well at the start. But this isn't a bad thing as everyone learns from this experience and improves afterwards.

I got a D in my first biology exam, and improved throughout the year to get a strong A at AS, which was the only exam which mattered that year :smile: So don't worry about your most recent exam, as you've done very well for someone that's only just started A-Levels!
(edited 5 years ago)
Depends who's asking.
Reply 5
Original post by OctoberRain7
A B is great, remember it’s the second best grade for AS and you’re almost certainly going to improve from now

I hope so!
Thank you :smile:
Reply 6
Original post by nightisdark
Are you being marked at AS standard or A Level? If it's linear teaching (so being marked at A Level), a B is amazing, as it is at AS considering you started a month ago.

I think A-level because the mark scheme/grade boundaries our teacher uses are from last year's a level, but I'll check with her anyway
Reply 7
Original post by leilalj
I hope so!
Thank you :smile:

What do you want to do at uni? RS seems to stand out from your other A levels.
Reply 8
Original post by Infinite Series
Anything above a C this early on at AS is amazing!
A-Levels are a lot harder than GCSEs, so almost everyone struggles at the start as they need to change up their study technique and exam technique to A-Level standard, which is why most students don't do well at the start. But this isn't a bad thing as everyone learns from this experience and improves afterwards.

I got a D in my first biology exam, and improved throughout the year to get a strong A at AS, which was the only exam which mattered that year :smile: So don't worry about your most recent exam, as you've done very well for someone that's only just started A-Levels!

Lets hope I adapt quickly then haha
Well done on bio!! There's sooo much content I'm dreading my first exam
It's obviously subjective as its relative to how you usually do, what height your standards are, etc. If you're aiming for an A this year, then getting a B this year is good and you're on track, the transition and 'rigour' of A Levels takes a fair bit of time to get stuck in with, so many people get Cs and Ds or worse at the start of the year. As long as you learn from your mistakes and maintain a solid routine it's calm.
oh you do the same subjects as I am...

getting a B in RS is amazing I am not saying that because I got a B at AS *scoffs\* but if you're getting a high B at this stage you're off to a magnificent start keep going people generally improve as they go along, your essay skills will definetely improve

hows bio and chem going for you? it was difficult settling in esp bio is quite a jump from GCSE
Original post by leilalj
Lets hope I adapt quickly then haha
Well done on bio!! There's sooo much content I'm dreading my first exam

The key to biology is finishing the content quickly so that you can do AS MANY practice questions AS POSSIBLE!
This makes all the difference in A-Levels. Doing practice papers helps you to identify gaps in your knowledge, which you can prepare for in future by learning the mark scheme and learning how you must approach each question by looking at the number of marks it offers and the key word e.g describe, explain, evaluate.

Also, ensure you make notes as you go along, you'll thank yourself at the end of the year :smile:
Reply 12
Original post by hp4300
What do you want to do at uni? RS seems to stand out from your other A levels.

I actually want to do natural sciences and then convert to law and be a medical negligence lawyer... it's oddly specific I know but I think the ethics/essays side of RS will help with it and the science degree will give me a bit of background

I really really enjoy RS and it's a nice break from the sciences which is mainly why I'm taking it - it's a shame I have to drop it at the end of the year though :frown:
Reply 13
Original post by Infinite Series
The key to biology is finishing the content quickly so that you can do AS MANY practice questions AS POSSIBLE!
This makes all the difference in A-Levels. Doing practice papers helps you to identify gaps in your knowledge, which you can prepare for in future by learning the mark scheme and learning how you must approach each question by looking at the number of marks it offers and the key word e.g describe, explain, evaluate.

Also, ensure you make notes as you go along, you'll thank yourself at the end of the year :smile:

Oh good I've started doing that for one side of the course yay!! ( I have way too much free time haha)
I'll order some practise q books - thanks for the tips!
Reply 14
Original post by kekedoyouloveme?
oh you do the same subjects as I am...

getting a B in RS is amazing I am not saying that because I got a B at AS *scoffs\* but if you're getting a high B at this stage you're off to a magnificent start keep going people generally improve as they go along, your essay skills will definetely improve

hows bio and chem going for you? it was difficult settling in esp bio is quite a jump from GCSE

Aw thank you :smile:

I have really good teachers for bio so so far it isn't too bad but there's a heck of a lot of content haha
chem on the other hand isn't too hard at the moment but my teacher is AWFUL so I might get a tutor later in the year for organic chem because I struggled a lot with it at GCSE
Reply 15
Original post by thotproduct
It's obviously subjective as its relative to how you usually do, what height your standards are, etc. If you're aiming for an A this year, then getting a B this year is good and you're on track, the transition and 'rigour' of A Levels takes a fair bit of time to get stuck in with, so many people get Cs and Ds or worse at the start of the year. As long as you learn from your mistakes and maintain a solid routine it's calm.

Yeah I think I've been a bit out of it this half term so I'm going to try and knuckle down after the holidays... the highest grade they do for RS at as level is an A so I'd be happy with that

I did the new GCSEs so I thought the gap would be smaller between them and a-levels - I thought wrong! all my year 11 worries seem pretty stupid now lol
Original post by leilalj
Aw thank you :smile:

I have really good teachers for bio so so far it isn't too bad but there's a heck of a lot of content haha
chem on the other hand isn't too hard at the moment but my teacher is AWFUL so I might get a tutor later in the year for organic chem because I struggled a lot with it at GCSE

oh my yes chem i have one bad teacher do i have a tutor and she makes everything so much clearer i swear she the thinks im dumb but its because my teacher is so bad at teaching....

get a tutor just in case :smile:
Reply 17
Original post by leilalj
I actually want to do natural sciences and then convert to law and be a medical negligence lawyer... it's oddly specific I know but I think the ethics/essays side of RS will help with it and the science degree will give me a bit of background

I really really enjoy RS and it's a nice break from the sciences which is mainly why I'm taking it - it's a shame I have to drop it at the end of the year though :frown:

That's really interesting! I want to do law at uni and I'm taking history, maths and econ. Your GCSEs are amazing! Congrats!
Original post by thotproduct

yes, incredibly subjective and RE itself is subjectively marked, but it's better to have a teacher who is a really harsh at marking as you'll learn to say the right things when you need to say them, Also some people never get Past C or D even with great effort at A Level
honestly to me B is good cause it’s higher than a C which is one less grade less from a fail. But it’s not amazing I guess but I’d be happy if I got BBB for a levels tbh

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending