The Student Room Group

My Faz-tastic journey to success - GYG 2018/19

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by RazzzBerries
Congratulations on making it to the shortlist!

Also, tag me in :wink:

Those grades you got are only in my dreams lmao xD

Thanks!
I'm sure you'll do amazing! Good luck! :tongue:
Original post by Fazzy_77
wait, don't tell me that you're allowed to eat in lesson???

no but when people bring in treats, etc. they don't mind. :tongue:
Reply 22
Original post by nyxnko_
no but when people bring in treats, etc. they don't mind. :tongue:

That's lucky. I wish my teachers were less strict :frown:
That's lucky. I wish my teachers were less strict :frown:

:console: maybe eat something before the lesson?
Reply 24
Original post by nyxnko_
:console: maybe eat something before the lesson?

:hugs:That's not a bad idea actually. I'll try that next time.
it’s nuts but I’ve got the same issue with economics:sadnod: my teacher also always uses food to explain things (e.g: Cadbury’s and galaxy to explain substitutes and eating loads of mars bars to explain marginal utility:lol:) as much as it helps me understand it makes me so hungry:facepalm:
:woo: well done for getting shortlisted:wink:
Have a lovely week:hugs:
Reply 26
Original post by Toastiekid
it’s nuts but I’ve got the same issue with economics:sadnod: my teacher also always uses food to explain things (e.g: Cadbury’s and galaxy to explain substitutes and eating loads of mars bars to explain marginal utility:lol:) as much as it helps me understand it makes me so hungry:facepalm:
:woo: well done for getting shortlisted:wink:
Have a lovely week:hugs:

Mine uses coke and pepsi for substitutes :biggrin:
and omg, we used mars bars too but the whole class just started a whole debate with the teacher about why we dont like mars (he actually changed his whole powerpoint because of us) :lol:.

Thanks and you too! :tongue:
Mine uses coke and pepsi for substitutes :biggrin:
and omg, we used mars bars too but the whole class just started a whole debate with the teacher about why we dont like mars (he actually changed his whole powerpoint because of us) :lol:.

Thanks and you too! :tongue:

:laugh: clearly it’s an econ teacher thing...
:hugs: no problem
Reply 28

Quick Update - 16/10/18

I had my first maths test yesterday and it was absolutely HORRIBLE! I was actually contemplating why I even took it (and trust me, it was my absolute favourite subject during GCSEs). The only thing giving me hope right now is the fact that everyone else found it equally as difficult. I guess I'm just disappointed as I didn't even have time to answer quite a few of the questions. I'm already dreading getting the results back :frown:

Anyone else finding anything difficult right now?

Tags:

Spoiler

I had my first maths test yesterday and it was absolutely HORRIBLE! I was actually contemplating why I even took it (and trust me, it was my absolute favourite subject during GCSEs). The only thing giving me hope right now is the fact that everyone else found it equally as difficult. I guess I'm just disappointed as I didn't even have time to answer quite a few of the questions. I'm already dreading getting the results back :frown:

A-Levels are a lot harder than GCSEs, so almost everyone struggles at the start as they need to change up their study technique and exam technique to A-Level standard, which is why most students don't do well at the start. But this isn't a bad thing as everyone learns from this experience and improves afterwards.

I got a D in my first biology exam in Y12, and improved throughout the year to get a strong A at AS, which was the only exam which mattered that year So don't worry about your most recent exam, just take it as a learning experience for the future. Anything above a C this early on at AS is amazing!
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 30
Original post by Infinite Series
A-Levels are a lot harder than GCSEs, so almost everyone struggles at the start as they need to change up their study technique and exam technique to A-Level standard, which is why most students don't do well at the start. But this isn't a bad thing as everyone learns from this experience and improves afterwards.

I got a D in my first biology exam in Y12, and improved throughout the year to get a strong A at AS, which was the only exam which mattered that year So don't worry about your most recent exam, just take it as a learning experience for the future. Anything above a C this early on at AS is amazing!

Thanks for the reply :smile:
It's amazing how much you improved in a year. Any tips for year 12?
The first test is absolutely horrible for everyone. :console: Just move on and change up the way you work for your next tests :yes:
I'm struggling to wake up every morning now :frown:
Thanks for the reply :smile:
It's amazing how much you improved in a year. Any tips for year 12?

Since we both take Maths and Chemistry, i'll share the tips for those subjects:

Maths
I try to finish the content and be thorough with it as fast as I could by reading the textbook examples and watching youtube videos from Jack Brown if i'm still unsure about the topic. I also have a school 'Integral Maths' login which is for the MEI exam board but I love practising from it because the questions are typically more difficult than the AQA ones.

After being thorough with the content, I try to do as many different types of questions for each topic but focus mainly on doing hard questions to prepare myself for worst case scenarios in the real exam. I also write down questions that I struggled with or made silly mistakes on, and I revise that topic again a few days using just the questions sheet. I also skim over this on the exam day, so I can familiarize myself with the hard questions and remember where I make silly mistakes so that I won't mess up and do this in the real exam.

Where I get my Maths practice questions (LINKS ATTACHED):

Past and Specimen Papers for all AQA, OCR, Edexcel and MEI.

My AQA textbook exercises

Chemistry
This subject is actually the easiest and most straight-forward one to revise for. LITERALLY, the only studying I do is memorising the Chemrevise revision notes and then doing past paper questions. The AQA Chemistry questions are soo repetitive so memorising mark schemes helps a lot! I also note down the questions I got wrong and learn the mark schemes to them.

Where I get my Chemistry practice questions (LINKS ATTACHED):

Past and Specimen Papers for all AQA, OCR and Edexcel

Ask your teacher for more questions

(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 34
Original post by emilynxlan
I'm struggling to wake up every morning now :frown:

ugh, me too :frown:
Thank god half term is next week. I really need a break.
ugh, me too :frown:
Thank god half term is next week. I really need a break.

I don't have half term until Halloween week
Reply 36
Original post by Infinite Series
Since we both take Maths and Chemistry, i'll share the tips for those subjects:

Maths
I try to finish the content and be thorough with it as fast as I could by reading the textbook examples and watching youtube videos from Jack Brown if i'm still unsure about the topic. I also have a school 'Integral Maths' login which is for the MEI exam board but I love practising from it because the questions are typically more difficult than the AQA ones.

After being thorough with the content, I try to do as many different types of questions for each topic but focus mainly on doing hard questions to prepare myself for worst case scenarios in the real exam. I also write down questions that I struggled with or made silly mistakes on, and I revise that topic again a few days using just the questions sheet. I also skim over this on the exam day, so I can familiarize myself with the hard questions and remember where I make silly mistakes so that I won't mess up and do this in the real exam.

Where I get my Maths practice questions (LINKS ATTACHED):

Past and Specimen Papers for all AQA, OCR, Edexcel and MEI.

My AQA textbook exercises

Chemistry
This subject is actually the easiest and most straight-forward one to revise for. LITERALLY, the only studying I do is memorising the Chemrevise revision notes and then doing past paper questions. The AQA Chemistry questions are soo repetitive so memorising mark schemes helps a lot! I also note down the questions I got wrong and learn the mark schemes to them.

Where I get my Chemistry practice questions (LINKS ATTACHED):

Past and Specimen Papers for all AQA, OCR and Edexcel

Ask your teacher for more questions

Thank you sooo much for this! It's super helpful. :biggrin:

Spoiler

Reply 37
I don't have half term until Halloween week

oh no :frown:
why? I wouldn't be able to cope with that.
oh no :frown:
why? I wouldn't be able to cope with that.

We have a different school year with different holidays. We're always off on Halloween, have a shorter Easter holiday, have no May half term and finish by June 30.
Reply 39
We have a different school year with different holidays. We're always off on Halloween, have a shorter Easter holiday, have no May half term and finish by June 30.

ohhhh, I just realised you're from Ireland. I think I prefer our school year, haha.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending