The Student Room Group

Physics homework

I need some help. D: I don’t know what equations to use?

A 1450kg car accelerates uniformly from rest. It reaches 24 m/s in 9.2s. Calculate the force needed to cause this acceleration. [4]

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
v = u + at
F = ma
Original post by polsan
I need some help. D: I don’t know what equations to use?

A 1450kg car accelerates uniformly from rest. It reaches 24 m/s in 9.2s. Calculate the force needed to cause this acceleration. [4]

Use SUVAT (v = u + at) to find the acceleration, then use F = ma with the acceleration you just worked out to find the force required.
Reply 3
thank you all! i was probably confused as i dont think i was taught the v = u + at before this homework which is weird, but thank you again!
First you want to use the SUVAT equation v=u+at v= u+at
You want to find a so you plug the values in a=(vu)/t a = (v-u)/t
Since the car accelerates uniformly , u=0m/su=0m/s and you are given the other values
After finding the acceleration using SUVAT, just use F=ma F=ma to find the force required.
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by TheEpicToaster
Use SUVAT (v = u + at) to find the acceleration, then use F = ma with the acceleration you just worked out to find the force required.

What is SUVAT?

And shouldn't you use a = (v-u)/t

Then use F=ma to find out the force
I would assume you are in first year A-levels. You should take a quick look through the 4 (5 if you count the last one I mention) and try to memorise them ASAP and the derivations.

1) v = u + at
2) s = (u+v)/2 * t
3) s = ut + 1/2(at^2)
4) v^2 = u^2 + 2as
5) s = vt - 1/2(at^2)

I'd assume you know what all the symbols mean
Original post by _Mia101
What is SUVAT?

And shouldn't you use a = (v-u)/t

Then use F=ma to find out the force

SUVAT is a commonly used term for the equations of motion. When you rearrange v = u + at, you get a = (v-u)/t, but since the car starts at rest, u = 0, so a = v/t.
Original post by TheEpicToaster
SUVAT is a commonly used term for the equations of motion. When you rearrange v = u + at, you get a = (v-u)/t, but since the car starts at rest, u = 0, so a = v/t.

Oh, okay thanks!
Reply 9
Original post by Guarddyyy
I would assume you are in first year A-levels. You should take a quick look through the 4 (5 if you count the last one I mention) and try to memorise them ASAP and the derivations.

1) v = u + at
2) s = (u+v)/2 * t
3) s = ut + 1/2(at^2)
4) v^2 = u^2 + 2as
5) s = vt - 1/2(at^2)

I'd assume you know what all the symbols mean

Surprisingly, I’m actually in year 11 lol
Original post by _Mia101
Oh, okay thanks!

You're welcome!
Original post by polsan
Surprisingly, I’m actually in year 11 lol

Start learning early :wink:
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 13
I didn’t know about SUVAT but since it’s been explained it’ll be really useful for me, so thank you! :smile: I actually struggle with physics the most out of biology and chemistry, but I feel like it’s getting easier to handle... 🤔
Reply 15
Original post by _Mia101
Thanks!
Would it be too early to start learning them in year 10?

From a Year 11, I definitely don’t remember this stuff, but if you really want to consolidate learning I think it’s useful to remember outside of your the topic you’re doing currently. I think it’s good practice to go over equations, especially for Physics
If you plan to do physics, there's no harm in having a look in the future content. Getting your head around the basic principles is always the best, then you can do a range of questions.
Original post by polsan
From a Year 11, I definitely don’t remember this stuff, but if you really want to consolidate learning I think it’s useful to remember outside of your the topic you’re doing currently. I think it’s good practice to go over equations, especially for Physics

Okay, thanks!
Original post by _Mia101
Thanks!
Would it be too early to start learning them in year 10?

^^ No probs!
I'd say its always better to familiarize yourself with it ...so it gets easier in Year 12^^
Original post by Spannerin'moi
^^ No probs!
I'd say its always better to familiarize yourself with it ...so it gets easier in Year 12^^

Yeah true, but I don't know if I'll do physics at A-Level yet.

Quick Reply

Latest