The Student Room Group

Year 11 desperation. CeciltheLlama's GyG

So, this is the second time I have entered one of these competitions (last one was the summer holiday thing) and I posted one thing and then never looked at it again. Welp.

I am actually going to try with this one and not make excuses for myself. Fingers crossed!

My Last Predicted Grades (from Feb 2018 so not that accurate)

Spoiler

My Mockette* results

Spoiler

*Mockette is the name my friends and I call the mock of the mock we did in summer.

My mocks are in December/ mid-November and I am trying to start revision now, but the procrastination is real. :frown:

A bit about me

-I play classical guitar (also ukulele) and have just got a distinction at Grade 3
-I am in Y11 (in case it wasn’t implied)
-I am a massive nerd
-I love Harry Potter and reading (although I don’t do it enough)
-My favourite band is the Black Keys
-I want to do French, Geography and Maths at A-level (this might change, though)
-I want to be a teacher when I am older
-I find the 9-1 system demoralising so I convert everything to A*-G
-I love listening to podcasts when revising (like Hello Internet or Hat Chat (RIP) or No Such Thing As A Fish)

Revision that helps me? I think…

-Flashcards
-Quizzes
-Practice Papers to see what I am bad at…
-Colour coded notes

So, yeah hopefully I will update this with revision I am doing.

Byeeeeee.....

Scroll to see replies

Hi,

Today, I feel like I am no closer to actually getting down to business and revising. I still haven’t done any revision this week and it is getting on my nerves. I had this amazing plan to start revising on 1st October, but that died quickly.:slap:

I had RS, French, Maths (test), Geography (test) and Chemistry at school today.

In the Maths test, I felt quite confident. I think this is because my exam technique was better, but also because I had enough time at the end of the test to go through all of the answers and make sure nothing was wrong. I didn’t revise for the test as such but this was only because I find it really difficult- for me, it is practice questions, see what you did wrong and repeat. This technique may be effective (ish) but quite frankly it is utterly dull and makes me hate maths even though I love it. I need to find a better way.

As for Geography, I knew the content of the test relatively well, which was food and human fieldwork. I had revised a lot the night before (with colour coded flashcards!), but my time management was pretty terrible. It was around a mark a minute for it and by the end, I had just started the last 9 marker and I had 5 minutes to go. I rushed two paragraphs and a shabby conclusion and prayed. So yeah, I’m a bit disappointed about that. :frown:

After school I got some biology work I missed done (due to a Music trip to see Halle Orchestra at Bridgewater Hall. Wouldn’t it be cool if some other users went on that trip? Anyway…) and I have done half my English homework on Macbeth for tomorrow (Welp) and none of the History homework I have. It honestly seems like I waste my time so badly. It’s gonna be an early morning tomorrow for me then…

Bye---

Oh and just so you know I am hoping to do French at Uni as well I have decided. Has anyone got any advice for me as regards to this?

Byeeeeeeeee
Today, I feel like I actually made some progress. I basically thought to myself 'enough is enough' and got down to some revision which was direly needed. It was ‘An Inspector Calls’ revision on the key themes and just reminding myself what it is actually about. Welp. Also, when we went through it in class originally, I didn’t have my own copy and could not highlight and annotate as a result, so I am only just doing it now, months later. Oh well…

On my English Lit mock there will be ‘An Inspector Calls’ and ‘Macbeth’ and we are doing ‘Macbeth at the moment so for this I only need to remind myself on ‘An Inspector Calls’. This could be worse because AIC is only an essay question. Also, I do enjoy studying it as I am liberal/left wing as well, so I find the play really interesting! :smile:

Looking at the bad side of things, however, I missed two lessons today of new content, as I went on a trip and had my guitar lesson. Yay, more to catch up on!! Brilliant (sarcastic if you couldn’t tell)! It is Exact Trig and Ecosystems I think. I think my Maths teacher is getting annoyed because I always seem to miss his lesson (I have missed 3 maths lessons in the last 2 weeks and I am due to miss another next Friday for Guitar lesson).

But yes, hopefully, today will set a precedent for me to do more revision. But, I will have to see!

Also, mocks are in 6 weeks, kill me.

Byeeee
Good luck on your mocks!
I only just started out year 11 and it's not going so well.

Been procrastinating so much, it's unbelievable. Hoping to catch up during the upcoming break, or basically the whole of next week. Again, I really wish you good luck on your mocks! I don't have mine until April, I believe. Not sure.
Original post by asher1529
Good luck on your mocks!
I only just started out year 11 and it's not going so well.

Been procrastinating so much, it's unbelievable. Hoping to catch up during the upcoming break, or basically the whole of next week. Again, I really wish you good luck on your mocks! I don't have mine until April, I believe. Not sure.

Thanks so much! Whenever your's are I hope you do well! I'm sure you will :smile: But yeah procrastination is my worst enemy rn. I start mocks on 26th of November. But yes thanks and good luck!
Today and in recent days I have been trying to build up more revision. I am reading Harry Potter and the chamber of secrets in French to try and build my vocab a bit more.

However, I think I am still neglecting geography and other subjects as idk I think I may have sorta forgotten about it 😱. Oh well.

Also recently I have been feeling not good enough. My normal mind process is basically there will always be people better than you and that's fine. Recently, it is more along the lines of there will always be people better than you and your a failure. It's me bring stupid and not considering that I am at school to learn and of course I am not going to be perfect. I will say that I have always had self-confidence problems as do most of my friends so it is probably just part of everyone in one way or another to varying degrees.

I am being very negative on this but the running theme is stilll continuing... I am not doing enough revision.

I wish this was a happy update but oh well...
hey, I'm in yr 11 too. i've got a gyg too if you want to check it out - it's called Chazza's Guide to Boondoggling.
i get your struggles with failure, school pressures and stuff really brings mood down but you're better than that. i'm a hypocrite cos I'm basically know as the pessimistic one at my school (although i call it realism…)
you've got some pretty awesome grades there so keep it up, ur doing brilliantly :smile:
:hugs: sorry that you’ve been feeling down lately, but don’t feel like you have to work every night - I’m definitely not! Make sure to take a break :heart:
Sorry I haven't replied yet! While I was typing it out I put my phone down and motion controls turned it on to the camera app and it deleted the reply. :frown: I haven't had time to type it out yet.

Original post by Charlie Hitchins
hey, I'm in yr 11 too. i've got a gyg too if you want to check it out - it's called Chazza's Guide to Boondoggling.
i get your struggles with failure, school pressures and stuff really brings mood down but you're better than that. i'm a hypocrite cos I'm basically know as the pessimistic one at my school (although i call it realism…)
you've got some pretty awesome grades there so keep it up, ur doing brilliantly :smile:

Thank you! Oh, and I will check out your GyG. Yeah, I am better than that and I realise that it is a mindset that will get me nowhere. I had had a bad day on Tuesday when I wrote the post and was feeling frustrated with my limitations.

Original post by laurawatt
:hugs: sorry that you’ve been feeling down lately, but don’t feel like you have to work every night - I’m definitely not! Make sure to take a break :heart:

Thanks for the worry! :smile: I try not to work late at night anyway because I am really unproductive when I am tired. As I said above I don't feel that way permanently- it is just when I am feeling frustrated with myself. Really I feel pretty good most of the time :hugs:
I have done some Geography revision today and gone through my flashcards that I have made over year 10.

I think that I am going to make revision resources for all of the content of the mocks. I will resume tomorrow. yay
I have found out a few of the dates for my mocks now and they seem to be edging ever closer. Welp. The importance of them is really being stressed by the constant, never ending talk about sixth forms. At this point one person has asked me which college I want to go to six times. I shouldn't really be complaining because although it is quite stressful hearing about it, it is quite interesting to see what other people think and where they are going.

I go to a revision session of French every Monday so I went to that yesterday. We did conjugating verbs. I have got writing them pretty much perfect every time, but with speaking I struggle to do conditional, imperfect and complex future. Just one more thing I need to work on 😰

I am now unsure about what I want to take at a level. I had definitely chosen before and now I am doubting
I would not suggest listening to podcasts while revising as this will make you not concentrate on your work. In order to actually remember something you need full concentration.
Don't worry about GCSEs though like they're not that big of a deal. Most universities don't care as long as you have passed maths and English. Some of the top ones care a bit more but if you just want to be a teacher you really don't need to go to a top university. Also don't worry about mocks, I did rubbish on my mocks but still got 59s 58s and an A* in the real thing so chill.
You're probably not bad at English lit, chances are you haven't been taught properly or you just have a mental block with it. If you're good at English lang then you can do English lit as they're very similar in terms of the skills you need.
Sorry I haven't replied quicker...

Original post by Nihilisticb*tch
I would not suggest listening to podcasts while revising as this will make you not concentrate on your work. In order to actually remember something you need full concentration.
Don't worry about GCSEs though like they're not that big of a deal. Most universities don't care as long as you have passed maths and English. Some of the top ones care a bit more but if you just want to be a teacher you really don't need to go to a top university. Also don't worry about mocks, I did rubbish on my mocks but still got 59s 58s and an A* in the real thing so chill.
You're probably not bad at English lit, chances are you haven't been taught properly or you just have a mental block with it. If you're good at English lang then you can do English lit as they're very similar in terms of the skills you need.

I completely agree with you about podcasts! When I wrote the first post I think I had just listened to a podcast whilst revising and got some done. But, this was just me tuning out the podcast, so there was no point of it being on. I can't even listen to music with words or that I know well because I will sing or hum along and concentrate more on the lyrics! Thanks for the tip! 😀

After having some time to think about it, I think I am a lot calmer about mocks. Thanks for reminding me that they don't matter because they don't. I can only do the best I can do and if I fail, I will do better on the real thing so it doesn't matter anyway... Yay!

I am not strictly speaking bad at Lit I am just least confident in it out of all other subjects. I think I feel more confident now but it's still my worst subject.

Also congrats on those grades at GSCE. 😃 Are you doing A level now? If so, how are you finding it?
Original post by CeciltheLlama
Sorry I haven't replied quicker...

I completely agree with you about podcasts! When I wrote the first post I think I had just listened to a podcast whilst revising and got some done. But, this was just me tuning out the podcast, so there was no point of it being on. I can't even listen to music with words or that I know well because I will sing or hum along and concentrate more on the lyrics! Thanks for the tip! 😀

After having some time to think about it, I think I am a lot calmer about mocks. Thanks for reminding me that they don't matter because they don't. I can only do the best I can do and if I fail, I will do better on the real thing so it doesn't matter anyway... Yay!

I am not strictly speaking bad at Lit I am just least confident in it out of all other subjects. I think I feel more confident now but it's still my worst subject.

Also congrats on those grades at GSCE. 😃 Are you doing A level now? If so, how are you finding it?

I am doing A levels now. I do 4 (maths,physics,chemistry and biology) and it's a lot of work but I'm finding it alright. There isn't as big a step up as everyone says there is.
You should try your hardest in all your exams but just remember to put things into perspective every now and again. Even though right now they might feel like the most important thing in the world, there are many things that are more important, including your own well being. Don't choose grades over mental health because it isn't worth it. Try your best and whatever happens, in 99.9% of cases your grades are what you deserve. If you work hard you WILL do well, it is highly unlikely that you won't. Remember that the majority of people are happy on results day and those that aren't are the ones who either didn't work hard or set themselves too high standards. As long as you don't do either of those things you will be fine. In a few years when you're at uni all your work will have paid off, keep your goals in mind and get good grades because of your goals, not to improve your self esteem.
I am doing A levels now. I do 4 (maths,physics,chemistry and biology) and it's a lot of work but I'm finding it alright. There isn't as big a step up as everyone says there is.
You should try your hardest in all your exams but just remember to put things into perspective every now and again. Even though right now they might feel like the most important thing in the world, there are many things that are more important, including your own well being. Don't choose grades over mental health because it isn't worth it. Try your best and whatever happens, in 99.9% of cases your grades are what you deserve. If you work hard you WILL do well, it is highly unlikely that you won't. Remember that the majority of people are happy on results day and those that aren't are the ones who either didn't work hard or set themselves too high standards. As long as you don't do either of those things you will be fine. In a few years when you're at uni all your work will have paid off, keep your goals in mind and get good grades because of your goals, not to improve your self esteem.

Thanks for all your advice! Not gonna lie I am quite naive sometimes so it's really useful to have someone telling you exactly how it really a is.

Oh and good luck! I'm sure you'll do really well. 😊 Are you going into medicine or another field? Sorry for all the questions. Thanks byeeee.
Thanks for all your advice! Not gonna lie I am quite naive sometimes so it's really useful to have someone telling you exactly how it really a is.

Oh and good luck! I'm sure you'll do really well. 😊 Are you going into medicine or another field? Sorry for all the questions. Thanks byeeee.

I don't mind questions lol don't feel bad about asking questions. The field I want to go into is physic because it's what I'm most passionate about. I might change my mind but right now I'm fairly decided on physics. My goal is to go to Oxford or Durham but I would be fine with basically any uni that has a decent reputation. I have considered medicine but I just don't think I'm passionate enough about it and I don't think I could hack being a doctor with how long the hours are. I respect the hell out of people who are doctors though, I honestly don't know how they do it.
Being naive is normal at our age lol. There are year 12s who will tell you that GCSEs are really hard and all this and that but those people are just trying to make themselves look hard because they've been through it. Just try your best, revise as much as you can and you'll be alright. All of my friends revised and all of them were happy with their results. As i have said, people get what they deserve. I did best in the subjects I revised most for and worst in the ones I revised least for and that's the same with all of my friends. My friend didn't revise for computer science until too late and really struggled with the content and she got a 5 and she was happy with that because she set realistic targets for herself and she got what she deserved according to her work. It's the same with basically everything.

Revision that helps me? I think…

-Flashcards
-Quizzes
-Practice Papers to see what I am bad at…
-Colour coded notes

So, yeah hopefully I will update this with revision I am doing.

Byeeeeee.....

Hi there,

Procrastination can be a real productivity killer, so it's good you've recognised that is something you need to work on. Try to build a study routine and be consistent, as that way you'll accustom your body to get into work mode at certain times of the day.

Best of luck with your mocks,

Michael
Today, I did a French reading paper as a practice and I need to mark it tomorrow. There was quite a lot of verbs I didn't understand so I am going to have to look those up. Make a word bank or something.

I also started an non-fiction reading paper which was loosely timed but it was going through the question types and finding out how to answer them. I need to finish that tomorrow.

For History, (my mock is on Elizabethan England and the cold war) I have been looking through the specification and seeing what knowledge I already have on it and refering to my exercise book to correct my shakey facts.

I do feel recently I have been getting more done, although Tuesday and Wednesday were right offs as I was doing something all day until about 10pm. Music sometimes gets in the way. Thinking about it, I will probably have to stop the of the clubs I do in the evenings after mock time close to GCSE.

Does anyone have any tips on personal statements?

Byeeeeee
Original post by Uni-Boss
Hi there,

Procrastination can be a real productivity killer, so it's good you've recognised that is something you need to work on. Try to build a study routine and be consistent, as that way you'll accustom your body to get into work mode at certain times of the day.

Best of luck with your mocks,

Michael

Thanks Michael! Yeah I'm trying to schedule my revision, so that I have a goal of what I do everyday or most days at least. 😃 With procrastination I turn off my phone or put it somewhere I can't reach without effort and then do work. The hard bit is stopping procrastinating and then getting books out to start revision etc.

I don't mind questions lol don't feel bad about asking questions. The field I want to go into is physic because it's what I'm most passionate about. I might change my mind but right now I'm fairly decided on physics. My goal is to go to Oxford or Durham but I would be fine with basically any uni that has a decent reputation. I have considered medicine but I just don't think I'm passionate enough about it and I don't think I could hack being a doctor with how long the hours are. I respect the hell out of people who are doctors though, I honestly don't know how they do it.
Being naive is normal at our age lol. There are year 12s who will tell you that GCSEs are really hard and all this and that but those people are just trying to make themselves look hard because they've been through it. Just try your best, revise as much as you can and you'll be alright. All of my friends revised and all of them were happy with their results. As i have said, people get what they deserve. I did best in the subjects I revised most for and worst in the ones I revised least for and that's the same with all of my friends. My friend didn't revise for computer science until too late and really struggled with the content and she got a 5 and she was happy with that because she set realistic targets for herself and she got what she deserved according to her work. It's the same with basically everything.

Everything in life is you get out what you put in. Like you said. In any experience, you will get nothing from it if you don't put the work in yourself.

Oh and yeah with Uni it is pretty much the course quality balanced with quality of life in the location, as for choosing I mean. Right now I think I would want to go somewhere tops 2 hours away just because of my home 'situation' (my dad has MS and y'know grandparents getting older and stuff). Maybe when it comes to the time of me applying i will have changed my mind idk.

Setting myself up for disappointment isn't gonna do me any good. Last time I got the results back for mockettes, I was realistic and if anything underestimated the grades that I would get. When I got them back I was probably happier than if I had guessed them right on. That's not to say just hope and pray you'll do better than you think. But just what my first results day like experience was.

Good luck with Physics and studies and stuff! 👍
Everything in life is you get out what you put in. Like you said. In any experience, you will get nothing from it if you don't put the work in yourself.

Oh and yeah with Uni it is pretty much the course quality balanced with quality of life in the location, as for choosing I mean. Right now I think I would want to go somewhere tops 2 hours away just because of my home 'situation' (my dad has MS and y'know grandparents getting older and stuff). Maybe when it comes to the time of me applying i will have changed my mind idk.

Setting myself up for disappointment isn't gonna do me any good. Last time I got the results back for mockettes, I was realistic and if anything underestimated the grades that I would get. When I got them back I was probably happier than if I had guessed them right on. That's not to say just hope and pray you'll do better than you think. But just what my first results day like experience was.

Good luck with Physics and studies and stuff! 👍

Yeah I agree with you. Einstein didn't discover relativity by sitting on his arse all day and doing nothing. You can be as clever as you like but if you don't work it's meaningless.
I would preferably go somewhere not too far away too. My sister went to Leeds which is literally a 20 minute train ride away so I wouldn't want to go that near. Oxford is a bit farther than I'd like but id be willing to go because it's oxford lol. Durham sounds like a good idea as it's not too far but not too near.
Yeah just set yourself realistic targets and you'll be fine. I set myself the target of getting mostly 7s and 8s and a couple of 6s and ended up getting 5 9s 58s so obviously I was over the moon! Anyway good luck with your studies too!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending