The Student Room Group

Am i overestimating myself?

Hey guys..
So i did my university applications which include Cambridge and Imperial for Compsci. And i feel like i overestimated myself.. although i did get 3 As from AS level i still think i am not a genius and am pretty sure the people who go to these universities are way better than me. I shouldnt have applied to them in the first place. Do you guys agree?

Scroll to see replies

Do you have a “back up” option at all or did all of them have the same entry requirements? It’s good to have a fail safe.
Reply 2
Yes i do have other unis with lower entry requirements
Reply 3
Dont get me wrong i dont think the problem is the entry requirements but the fact that only actually genius people go to these universities..
Original post by Exoy
Hey guys..
So i did my university applications which include Cambridge and Imperial for Compsci. And i feel like i overestimated myself.. although i did get 3 As from AS level i still think i am not a genius and am pretty sure the people who go to these universities are way better than me. I shouldnt have applied to them in the first place. Do you guys agree?

what where you predicted? do you find your subjects easy/are you one of the best in your classes? Cambridge is a hopeful choice to most people applying
Reply 5
I am one of the best in most of my classes but unfortunately not the best.. i talked with the headmaster before applying and he said that i should with the grades i had so i did. But now that i most of the people who go to cambridge have like 4 A levels with all A*s they are genius.. i only have 3 a levels
Reply 6
Now that i know*
Original post by Exoy
I am one of the best in most of my classes but unfortunately not the best.. i talked with the headmaster before applying and he said that i should with the grades i had so i did. But now that i most of the people who go to cambridge have like 4 A levels with all A*s they are genius.. i only have 3 a levels

nobody is really likely to get into Cambridge but it's worth a shot for most applicants including you, having 3 A-Levels doesn't mean you won't still have a chance.

Imperial is more realistic (if your predicted are above or the same as their entry requirements). You just have to prepare for your interview.
Original post by Exoy

I wouldn't worry about not having four A Levels - there are very few, if any, universities that favour four as the standard is now to do three. I wouldn't worry about not being a genius - sure, some people will be, but plenty of people who apply to those universities are perfectly normal. They don't look only for people with incredible academic attainment but people with personality who would work well with the style of teaching.
Reply 9
Original post by Exoy
Hey guys..

google impostor syndrome
Original post by p4ttiscialfa
I wouldn't worry about not having four A Levels - there are very few, if any, universities that favour four as the standard is now to do three. I wouldn't worry about not being a genius - sure, some people will be, but plenty of people who apply to those universities are perfectly normal. They don't look only for people with incredible academic attainment but people with personality who would work well with the style of teaching.

I’m sorry, fully disagree with you there. These unis will 100% prefer candidates with 4 A-levels, which is understandable. OP - unless you got almost full marks in all 3 AS’ it is unlikely. Also make sure you are good in an interview if you get one and you have extra stuff in your personal statement
Original post by Bogotá
I’m sorry, fully disagree with you there. These unis will 100% prefer candidates with 4 A-levels, which is understandable. OP - unless you got almost full marks in all 3 AS’ it is unlikely. Also make sure you are good in an interview if you get one and you have extra stuff in your personal statement

what's unlikely? loads of unis have said they have no preference when it comes to 4 or 3 A-levels. loads of people get into both with 3 a levels
Original post by isiaiah d
what's unlikely? loads of unis have said they have no preference when it comes to 4 or 3 A-levels. loads of people get into both with 3 a levels

Of course the Uni’s say that because then they get accused of discriminating against state schools which only typically allow students to take 3 A Levels. Not rocket science, also not rocket science to see that they will favour 4. Other students are working 75% as hard
Original post by Bogotá
Of course the Uni’s say that because then they get accused of discriminating against state schools which only typically allow students to take 3 A Levels. Not rocket science, also not rocket science to see that they will favour 4. Other students are working 75% as hard

ok, mate I'm sure taking your word for that would be better than just listening to what the unis actually say.
Reply 14
Original post by BFG9000
google impostor syndrome

I might actually have that
Original post by isiaiah d
ok, mate I'm sure taking your word for that would be better than just listening to what the unis actually say.

It’s well known I’m afraid, by people with 4 A Levels. (I’m doing 3 but lots of friends and my sis doing 4). Just think about it, obviously they favour 4.
Original post by Bogotá
It’s well known I’m afraid, by people with 4 A Levels. (I’m doing 3 but lots of friends and my sis doing 4). Just think about it, obviously they favour 4.

and have you actually applied to uni? doing 4 a-level doesn't make you qualified enough to dismiss what the people actually judging your applications are saying.

3 A-Levels will always be enough and you aren't unlikely to get into Imperial if you don't have near full marks in all 3 AS subjects especially considering A-Levels are linear now.
Original post by Bogotá

Actually if you follow the threads which are run by the Cambridge colleges you will see that they often advise students to concentrate on their best three A Levels rather than overstretch by doing four or more.
Original post by Stressed dad
Actually if you follow the threads which are run by the Cambridge colleges you will see that they often advise students to concentrate on their best three A Levels rather than overstretch by doing four or more.

And the Oxford equivalent. Some people here are talking *******s.
Original post by Bogotá

I'm applying to some of these unis for maths, I've been to many open days and talked to many admissions officers and all have said there is no expectation for four a levels and students with four aren't preferred.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending