The Student Room Group

New Laptop for University

I am on a Computer Networks course and need a new laptop. I want to be able to take it in to lectures but also be able to run Virtual Machines and other applications that require a bit of power. I am currently on an i3 with less than 2.2ghz and 4gb ram. It is struggling to keep the speed up and crashes sometimes when I try to run numerous amounts of apps and tabs at once.
I'd appreciate some suggestions on whether a Macbook pro is worth it vs a high end Windows/Linux laptop.
I was thinking something with SSD:
Alienware R3 - 16gbRAM , 256SSD, i7, NVIDIA Graphics card

VS

Macbook Pro 2017 - 8gb RAM , 128gb SSD , i5 ,

I know there is a big difference om paper but people tell me the Macbook pro can be clocked higher and is better for Uni, what do you guys think?
(edited 5 years ago)
Asa computing student I wouldnt touch mac for a computing course
Reply 2
Have a look at this link, It's gives good examples for what you are looking for and perhaps give you a better idea to what to get and price:

http://www.it4nextgen.com/best-laptops-for-virtualization/

Alternative, instead of getting a laptop is perhaps get yourself an Microsoft Azure account, being a student may get a good deal.

Another option would be to get a microserver, HP do a decent used one of ebay:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/HP-ProLiant-G1610-Microserver-16-GB-Memory-3-HDD-1-x-1TB-2-x-3TB/323497616549?hash=item4b51f5e4a5:g:P4sAAOSwQqJbweaO:rk:2:tongue:f:0

Or a tower server:
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Dell-Precision-T5500-CAD-Workstation-Intel-Xeon-Hex-Core-L5640-16GB-Barebones-PC/123406445098?epid=1023313425&hash=item1cbb98ea2a:g:Xn0AAOSwAjpbt1wC:rk:10:tongue:f:0

You can set it up with Windows Server & Hyervisor, you can then access it remotely.

Westty

Original post by ayesaac
I am on a Computer Networks course and need a new laptop. I want to be able to take it in to lectures but also be able to run Virtual Machines and other applications that require a bit of power. I am currently on an i3 with less than 2.2ghz and 4gb ram. It is struggling to keep the speed up and crashes sometimes when I try to run numerous amounts of apps and tabs at once.
I'd appreciate some suggestions on whether a Macbook pro is worth it vs a high end Windows/Linux laptop.

VS

I know there is a big difference om paper but people tell me the Macbook pro can be clocked higher and is better for Uni, what do you guys think?
Original post by ayesaac

VS

The processors in Apple's laptops are not overclockable, whoever told you that doesn't know what they're talking about.

That aside, what's your budget? Links to the exact models you're currently considering?
Original post by niteninja1
Asa computing student I wouldnt touch mac for a computing course

Yh they're overpriced and overrated
Original post by thestudent33
Yh they're overpriced and overrated

Not just that they can’t run half of the software on my course
Reply 6
What is your budget?
Reply 7
Budget is £1300

It would be great if it had:

- SSD
- 16GB RAM
- i7 8th Gen
-Good Battery life
- IPS or Matte high Hz screen
- 13" to 15"
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by ayesaac
Budget is £1300

It would be great if it had:

- SSD
- 16GB RAM
- i7 8th Gen
-Good Battery life
- IPS or Matte high Hz screen
- 13" to 15"

Anything graphics intensive?
Reply 9
Nothing I am doing requires that high graphics.

I am considering an xps 13 with 16gb ram...
Original post by ayesaac
Nothing I am doing requires that high graphics.

I am considering an xps 13 with 16gb ram...

Can I ask what you think you want a high refresh rate display for in that case? Just trying to gauge exactly what it is you need.
I'm going to do cs in uni as well. The options that I am looking at right now is the new Lenovo ThinkPad Carbox 6th gen and Dell XPS 15. I am not a fan of MacBooks because all you are doing is paying for the brand name and not for the contents. The aesthetics of the MacBooks do look and feel nice but I just feel like it is not worth the investment unless you have the money to do so. The Dell XPS 15 is my go to since it is fairly lightweight being around 2 kg, it also has an SSD and 1050 giving it a perfect balance of being a productivity/gaming laptop and It also has a 3840 x 2160 screen resolution which is just a nice cherry on top and a 15-inch display (you also have the 13 inch option). You can pretty much run any OS eg centos or Ubuntu.amazon: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Dell-15-6-Inch-Touch-Laptop/dp/B073QTKGHM/ref=sr_1_1?s=computers

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending