The Student Room Group

Spider fell behind oven, how do I know it’s dead?

So there was a spider in my kitchen and I hit it twice with a shoe but then it fell behind the oven. Is there a possibility that it is still alive? I don’t have the courage to bring forth the oven to search for it as I am terrified of spiders and that was the biggest one I’ve ever encountered. Any advice on what to do next?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by angelikiii
So there was a spider in my kitchen and I hit it twice with a shoe but then it fell behind the oven. Is there a possibility that it is still alive? I don’t have the courage to bring forth the oven to search for it as I am terrified of spiders and that was the biggest one I’ve ever encountered. Any advice on what to do next?

The most likely thing it will have done is run to safety - it's probably gone upstairs to a bedroom. Possibly yours. It'll most likely come out from behind the wardrobe or under the bed during the dead of night.
Reply 2
If you can't see it, it isn't there.
Burn your house to be sure.
Bake it a nice apple pie in the oven to show it you are truly sorry that you hit it. And with any luck the heat from the oven will kill it if your shoe hasn’t done the job already. In which case you’ll have a nice apple pie to enjoy yourself. I don’t see how you can lose this deal.
You could phone round the local hospitals and see if it's checked in anywhere

It might have used a false name though.
It has stopped moving for once and all.
Update: word of what you done is out on the interwebz. If your spider senses are tingling, it may be because it’s brothers and sisters* are coming to demand justice.

* The average large spider has 40,000 siblings.
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 9

Large Spiders are like Bosses in Video games, They harbour large HP's and seldom can be beaten with one hit.

From experience, I'd also say it is probably still alive. I'm the type of person who can't rest knowing there's a sizeable spider in house and will go searching for it. Even though I have a slight phobia for them.

From experience as well, If you try and kill a spider ....and you fail ...and it gets away, it tends to remember the attempt on it's life and hold a grudge. It may try to attack humans the next time it encounters them and instead of running away from them like before start running towards them aggressively looking for revenge.
Any advice on what to do next?

You will probably have to get married and make sure your spouse deals with it. This is the single biggest reason for non-pregnant people to get married these days.
Original post by RenéDescartes
Burn your house to be sure.

I heard lighting fireworks can do the trick.

https://youtu.be/Rqmd39GdDww
Oh my god, my sister reassured me that it’s dead and I calmed down but reading this brought back the stress. The oven was on when the spider fell so is there a possibility that the heat killed it? That’s what I thought... I’ll probably wait for my dad to get home and move the oven but I’m afraid he’ll think I’m paranoid and not check...
Unfortunately no, she can’t check because she has a back problem and can’t move the oven. I’m also too weak to move an entire oven and also will probably faint if I see the spider. What if it isn’t there? I’m actually terrified to step into the kitchen knowing that there’s a monster there
Presumably you are unaware that the average British home has about a hundred different species of spider in it. Obviously there will be rather more than one of each of those species.
Our cat chases and eats spiders, if anyone wants to borrow him, our rates are reasonable. He's a bit scared of really large spiders though.
Update: my dad came home, moved the oven and found the spider but it was dead so all’s well that ends well (for me, not so much for the spider)
Original post by Good bloke
Presumably you are unaware that the average British home has about a hundred different species of spider in it. Obviously there will be rather more than one of each of those species.

aren't you supposed to be a good bloke :frown: not a brutally honest bloke :argh:
Original post by rainclouds-
aren't you supposed to be a good bloke :frown: not a brutally honest bloke :argh:

Honest is not good?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending