The Student Room Group

Getting a Job in the UK with a foreign degree

I have a girlfriend whos studying Bussiness management at one of the top universities in thailand, I was wondering how hard it is for someone with a degree from a foreign country to get onto something like a graduate scheme in the UK, she speaks good english and would obviously be allowed to work legally

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
"Business Management" is really a demanded diploma in general. Do you have any work experience?
Reply 2
Original post by BFG9000
"Business Management" is really a demanded diploma in general. Do you have any work experience?

Shes going to be doing a lot of work experience this summer, and her dad has a business so i would say so
Reply 3
Original post by finorin00
Shes going to be doing a lot of work experience this summer, and her dad has a business so i would say so

She needs to do something specific, something like working several months in an accounting department, doing payroll or something. Do not mention the family business. Work experience that smells by nepotism isn't something popular. Getting into touch with packages like the QPulse, Sales Force, MS Dynamics/Navision, SAP, etc.
Reply 4
To get a job in the UK, a company would have to sponsor her. And to sponsor her that company has to prove to the Home Office that they were unable find any qualified applicants from the UK. Its called the resident labour market test. From this you can guess how her chances are.
Reply 5
Original post by S-man10
To get a job in the UK, a company would have to sponsor her. And to sponsor her that company has to prove to the Home Office that they were unable find any qualified applicants from the UK. Its called the resident labour market test. From this you can guess how her chances are.

she has british passport
Reply 6
she has british passport

In that case it won't be an issue.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 7
she has british passport

This raises the question why not study in the UK instead? I highly doubt she would be able to get on a graduate scheme from a university degree in thailand.
Reply 8
Original post by S-man10
This raises the question why not study in the UK instead? I highly doubt she would be able to get on a graduate scheme from a university degree in thailand.

There are students doing MPhils at Cambridge from Thai universities.

Posted from TSR Mobile
she has british passport

Why didnt you think to mention that in the OP?
Its really down to the employer whether they are going to recognise her degree or not.
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 10
Thread has been tidied... please keep posts constructive and friendly :yy:
Original post by Doonesbury
There are students doing MPhils at Cambridge from Thai universities.

There are students from india/china/pakistan etc studying PhDs at top tier universities. These are exceptional students. And to go on a phd there is more of a clear progression because this is still academic in nature.

OP's question was to do with graduate schemes. Some of them even need your GCSE grades for some reason.
Reply 12
Original post by S-man10
There are students from india/china/pakistan etc studying PhDs at top tier universities. These are exceptional students. And to go on a phd there is more of a clear progression because this is still academic in nature.

OP's question was to do with graduate schemes. Some of them even need your GCSE grades for some reason.

MPhil is a masters not PhD. And employers don't require GCSEs from non-UK students
Reply 13
Also there are Thai universities ranked more highly than many UK universities on QS.
MPhil is a masters not PhD. And employers don't require GCSEs from non-UK students

Umm, I know that. I was adding to your comment that there are exceptional students from all over the world that do postgraduate/PhD/MPhil whatever advanced degrees. Where did I say MPhil is not a masters?

Also there are Thai universities ranked more highly than many UK universities on QS.

Sure there are. Still begs the question, why does a british resident go to a thai university? Maybe there are reasons, ask the OP.

That example you mentioned of MPhil students from thailand are the exception, not the norm. Again, students from all over the over do their masters in the UK so I'm not sure why you even bought it up. Its the norm in poorer countries where they do their undergraduate degrees locally and go for a postgraduate overseas. Mostly because of socio-economic reasons.
Reply 15
Original post by S-man10
Umm, I know that. I was adding to your comment that there are exceptional students from all over the world that do postgraduate/PhD/MPhil whatever advanced degrees. Where did I say MPhil is not a masters?

Sure there are. Still begs the question, why does a british resident go to a thai university? Maybe there are reasons, ask the OP.

That example you mentioned of MPhil students from thailand are the exception, not the norm. Again, students from all over the over do their masters in the UK so I'm not sure why you even bought it up. Its the norm in poorer countries where they do their undergraduate degrees locally and go for a postgraduate overseas. Mostly because of socio-economic reasons.

I suspect the OP's gf lives in Thailand not the UK.

I mentioned MPhils because Cambridge asks for "at least a 2:i honours degree from a UK university or an equivalent standard from an overseas university;" - so they are regarding at least some Thai universities as equivalent.
I suspect the OP's gf lives in Thailand not the UK.

I mentioned MPhils because Cambridge asks for "at least a 2:i honours degree from a UK university or an equivalent standard from an overseas university;" - so they are regarding at least some Thai universities as equivalent.

Apply my point about straight forward linear academic progression. I still don't get why you needed to mention MPhil as OP's situation is quite different. And even though cambridge "requires" a 2:i, not everyone with a 2:i gets in, there are execeptional students, not the norm.
Most of the British unis can barely compete with secondary schools in other countries. Thai Universities aren't bad. The problem is that you have studied "Business" which is quite useless on its own. Even if you got a degree in Business from Uni of London, you would be pretty much unemployable.
Original post by BFG9000
Most of the British unis can barely compete with secondary schools in other countries. Thai Universities aren't bad. The problem is that you have studied "Business" which is quite useless on its own. Even if you got a degree in Business from Uni of London, you would be pretty much unemployable.

Business graduates don't have a notably high rate of unemployment, or low average salaries. Its hardly a bad degree to go job hunting with.
Original post by 999tigger
Why didnt you think to mention that in the OP?
Its really down to the employer whether they are going to recognise her degree or not.

because employers wont hire people with out a right to work ?

OP, your girlfriend will not get a place on a graduate scheme. They are very competitive but she will be able to get a just not a graduate scheme.

Thailand isnt really known for its reputable universities

Original post by BFG9000

false, at prestigious UK universities, business is a mixture of accounting and finance with varying levels of marketing and management theory.
University graduates from most developing countries have an education level equal to that of a foundation year
(edited 5 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest