The Student Room Group

Atheism makes me feel empty

I was raised Catholic but due to it's beliefs on certain issues and the way it has dealt with some situations,I no longer consider myself Catholic in any way.

At the moment, I don't have any beliefs but the idea of there being nothing out there scares me. I also just feel that the idea of not having any faith or guidance makes me feel empty.

As an LGBT person, I struggle with religion and as a teenager, I am probably not the only person to question religion.

Where can I go from here?

Scroll to see replies

You can always try looking for a church locally to see if going back to Christianity is the right thing for you. Church folk are usually pretty accommodating and a priest worth his salt will be more than happy to answer any questions you may have :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by Joe2001
I was raised Catholic but due to it's beliefs on certain issues and the way it has dealt with some situations,I no longer consider myself Catholic in any way.

At the moment, I don't have any beliefs but the idea of there being nothing out there scares me. I also just feel that the idea of not having any faith or guidance makes me feel empty.

As an LGBT person, I struggle with religion and as a teenager, I am probably not the only person to question religion.

So you want to have guidance from a God that you don’t believe in? This doesn’t sound possible to me and I’m not sure what kind of advice you’re looking for.
Original post by Notnek
So you want to have guidance from a God that you don’t believe in? This doesn’t sound possible to me and I’m not sure what kind of advice you’re looking for.

It's a bit complicated. I don't currently have a religion since leaving but the lack of beliefs and guidance makes me feel empty and I can't help but think there must be something else out there.

As I've gotten older, I've seen bad things done by the Catholic Church in my area and that is why I do not like to associate myself with it any more,
Reply 4
I feel the same sometimes (not gay or catholic), but you could probably start going to church. Or just associate with a different denomination, ie Evanangelicalism or the Baptists.
Reply 5
Original post by Joe2001
It's a bit complicated. I don't currently have a religion since leaving but the lack of beliefs and guidance makes me feel empty and I can't help but think there must be something else out there.

As I've gotten older, I've seen bad things done by the Catholic Church in my area and that is why I do not like to associate myself with it any more,

To me it sounds like you're not an atheist, you just have no religion. Am I right?
Reply 6
all persons of faith question God and/or question religion at some point. totally normal. maybe, is it the Catholic church specifically that's getting to you? i would say if you still have some faith but not necessarily faith in Catholicism, maybe check out another denomination. Christians all believe in God but we don't all do church the same way.

edit: i was too slow. you answered my question.
(edited 5 years ago)
There are plenty of belief systems out there. I suggest you research a little bit into Buddhism, or the types of paganism; you may find yourself in one of those :smile:
Original post by Notnek
To me it sounds like you're not an atheist, you just have no religion. Am I right?

Pretty much.
Original post by Joe2001

It's better to see the world as it really is than persist in delusion even if it feels empty at times.Religion is like a comfort blanket for children.Some day you have to grow up and let it go.Seems like you've reached that point.

Just because you want there to be something else out there doesn't mean there is.I'd like to win the lottery tommorow doesn't mean it's going to happen.Atheism isn't really about how we feel about the universe.Its about truth.Would I like to believe that I'm immortal and will go to a place of eternal happiness one day? Of course I would.Do I think it's going to happen? No.I prefer to reflect on the fact that simply being alive means you already did win a lottery of a different kind.The odds against you being alive right now are astounding.

The fact that we die doesn't detract from life's meaning.If anything it makes it more meaningful.If death is all there is after then you'd better make it the best damn life possible.Besides everything dies.Even the stars will die one day.Why would humans be an exception?
Original post by qwertyK
I feel the same sometimes (not gay or catholic), but you could probably start going to church. Or just associate with a different denomination, ie Evanangelicalism or the Baptists.

I do go to church to keep my mother happy. I could happily list my problems with the church.
Reply 11
I think the transition of dropping away from religion has shocked you a little, in that you should look at the things in life that you actually find meaningful to you by yourself, since in the past religion has just told you what is for you. I can't give you an answer because it will be personal to you.

When I was Catholic, I believed that part of the meaningfulness/guidance that the religion at it's depth taught was to live to have a heart for the world around us, externally making an effect and believing that your actions are heard, however small. Even though I'm agnostic now (permanently or not I don't know), I do believe there is some truth to this, so a little of what you found meaningful in the Church could be meaningful to your atheist life.

But, like I said it will be personal to you what you find meaningful. So I think make your own efforts to find what is meaningful to you and find what small moments in life shine, and that would become your guidance

Take care
(edited 5 years ago)
So I've read what you've said and ive read what others have said in response to your question. The very fact that you are questioning suggests that part of you that is curious to know that there's someone higher and that there's something more to life than just existing. You're searching still and it's not a bad thing, Its good. (Being aware that not everyone believes God, which i understand) but whilst your searching and have this knowing within you that there's something out there, God has already found you. It's for you to know that.

I know there's this big question about PURPOSE of life and we as ppl question What is your purpose? You get me and that emptiness is something this world cant satisfy or fill. Nothing can but only God.

Are u fearful of condemnation? Also u did mention u left Catholicism maybe this is for you to discover other denominations. Catholicism doesn't always work for everyone and that's understandable. You can try a non denominational church where ppl worship as they worship and it doesn't matter or pentecostal or evangelical.
I would usually pray about these things but there's this question of how can u pray if u don't have faith. Just know that many will face will come across this road in there lives. Just at the edge and don't see how u can go on believing. Do u have ppl who are in faith who can help and guide u and support you?
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by Joe2001

I was also raised RC in the care system of the 40’s to 60’s and as a result don’t practice any religion. Also, two of my 7 children are gay.
You don’t have to follow a religion to be a good person. Your goodness comes from inside you and not what you learn from any religion. You will know this from what has gone on in the RC Church and the it has conducted itself.
Just be who you want to be.
Reply 14
Sounds like you are having a difficult time deciding whether or not God exists. It's only part of your nature as a human to be curious about such things, and to contemplate about life as a whole.

I would suggest learning about different religions, if you need something to help give you directions in life. Perhaps pick up some holy text of other religions and start there. May I suggest reading the Quran?
Trying reading The Holy Quran.
Original post by Joe2001

You sound like your head is in the right place. There is nothing out there, no mythical gods or leaders, no afterlife or fantasy heavens. You shouldn't feel obliged to be following any faith or guidance, have your own thoughts and mind.
The Quran?

I'm gay so that's certainly not for me.
Reply 18
Just curious, if you believed in a God, why would you choose to follow his guidance, per se, over choosing to do something else?
Also, have you considered that, on the other hand, not believing in a God does not mean that nothing is out there; there's this entire universe so far, so you don't have to feel scared?

Either way, you can give yourself a different purpose in life.
And could you find faith in something else? Like in the universe and its progression? Or something in the universe e.g. on Earth that is not theistic, for example a cause or people or an optimistic mindset? (Also there are many different types of religion you can believe in.)

Anyway, touching onto what someone else said, you can call yourself a theist (although I am not sure of relevance of me saying this.)

Original post by Joe2001

Change is normal; people change in different ways over the courses of their lifetimes, and some things remain the same. Neither is the right or wrong way. I cannot tell you to not be afraid of changing, it is not my place to do so, but being fearful of something is a mindset, localised in the brain, and considering the neuroplasticity of the brain (its ability to change), you can choose to do something about it.

If you give yourself another or a different purpose, you will not feel empty, perhaps.

You are definitely not alone in questioning your current belief system, and you are not alone being an LGBT person doing this, either.
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 19
Original post by Joe2001
The Quran?

I'm gay so that's certainly not for me.

Do you need to belong to an organised relgion? They're all based on old-fashioned texts created by men living in an old fashioned society. Why do you need to join a relgion to believe in a God that watches over you?

Quick Reply