The Student Room Group

Am I homophobic?

I would say I am straight 16 year old guy. I have friends that are boys, we are just mates. There was this boy in my year who was gay, and I never liked him. The way he spoke and acted to me seemed weird, then I even found out which boys he actually likes, which confirmed to me he's gay. I know another boy who I think is gay but I'm not sure. He always chills with girls, not as a romantic relationship but as friends. I've never seen him with boys. So is he gay? Is it just me that seems to think gay people act a bit different? Are people actually gay or do they think they are because their influenced by social media and how everything is so open? Personally, I wouldn't want anyone to be gay in my family, but I don't care if people outside are gay. By no means am I trying to cause hate or fights, I just want to see what you guys think. If you haven't noticed already, I'm very bad at explaining, so ask me anything if you're confused.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Anyone?
Reply 2
A little to moderate, yes.
Reply 3
Original post by Bio 7
A little to moderate, yes.

Why do you think that?
Is the second guy gay? Maybe, maybe not. The fact he is primarily hanging around with girls has no real bearing on that, and is not an indication either way.

Gay people don't act differently as a whole, I'm not sure what you mean there? And yes, people are really gay - social media does not influence that, nor does it make people think they're get when they aren't.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5
thinking someon's gay isn't homophobic, hating someone who is gay also isn't homophobic, hating someone BECAUSE they're gay is homophobic.
Original post by Vjaders
thinking someon's gay isn't homophobic, hating someone who is gay also isn't homophobic, hating someone BECAUSE they're gay is homophobic.

Couldn't really have explained this better!
A little homophobic as you wouldn't want someone in your family to be gay
Reply 8
Original post by Anonymous
Why do you think that?

You come across as if you don't want to associate with gay people just because they are gay, thus I would say homophobic.
Original post by shadowdweller
Is the second guy gay? Maybe, maybe not. The fact he is primarily hanging around with girls has no real bearing on that, and is not an indication either way.

Gay people don't act differently as a whole, I'm not sure what you mean there? And yes, people are really gay - social media does not influence that, nor does it make people think they're get when they aren't.

Posted from TSR Mobile

"Gay people don't act differently as a whole"

Hahah, as someone who has a masters in psychology, I could confirm to you with numerous studies that they do. They act more feminine as a general overlay.
the fact that you think he is gay because he doesn't chill with boys and everything else you have said, yes you are homophobic .Grow up please you are so immature .
Reply 11
Original post by shadowdweller

Posted from TSR Mobile

LOL some do.
I forgot the name to describe it, but some gay people speak with a more feminine voice, put on this "oh my gaaaad" voice, and dress and look differently too. For example, a gay guy may get their eyebrows done REALLY well, and they may wear extreme skinny jeans. I'm not homophobic, but I can't stand guys who act like this. You can be gay and act like a normal guy and nobody would find it a problem
Some here have said that gay people act more feminine generally (similar to what they said). That's what I meant. I do find it strange that they act like that. But I don't hate them. I just don't like them when they seem not normal (really right clothes, very high pitch voices, etc), and I wouldn't associate with them. Personally, I don't care if they like boys, but i dont mind them if they act normal. For example, I'm ok with the second guy I explained in my 1st post, he does seem like a normal person.

I'm not trying to cause any hate, so I'm sorry if I offended anyone
Just a little
Some here have said that gay people act more feminine generally (similar to what they said). That's what I meant. I do find it strange that they act like that. But I don't hate them. I just don't like them when they seem not normal (really right clothes, very high pitch voices, etc), and I wouldn't associate with them. Personally, I don't care if they like boys, but i dont mind them if they act normal. For example, I'm ok with the second guy I explained in my 1st post, he does seem like a normal person.

Why don't you want to have any family members who are gay?
Why do you think gay people aren't normal?
Why do you think they're putting on an act?
Why don't you think that could be just who they are?
What is your definition of normal?

Why should people have to conform to what you and other small minded people define as “normal” ?

It really shows a lack of maturity when people assume everyone must fall into this “normal” category.

Btw I’m straighter than straight so not gay :wink:
"Gay people don't act differently as a whole"

Hahah, as someone who has a masters in psychology, I could confirm to you with numerous studies that they do. They act more feminine as a general overlay.

Original post by AnharM
LOL some do.
I forgot the name to describe it, but some gay people speak with a more feminine voice, put on this "oh my gaaaad" voice, and dress and look differently too. For example, a gay guy may get their eyebrows done REALLY well, and they may wear extreme skinny jeans. I'm not homophobic, but I can't stand guys who act like this. You can be gay and act like a normal guy and nobody would find it a problem

I feel you're missing the point if you're arguing that some do; I'm not denying that, just as some people are straight and camp. What I'm denying is the fact that gay people in general act differently, some do and some don't.

Posted from TSR Mobile
This Instagram post comes to mind with this thread https://www.instagram.com/p/BJWlsqdBf2Z/?utm_source=ig_share_sheet&igshid=4jvx5a4xekqz

But seriously, why should it bother you?
I would say I am straight 16 year old guy. I have friends that are boys, we are just mates. There was this boy in my year who was gay, and I never liked him. The way he spoke and acted to me seemed weird, then I even found out which boys he actually likes, which confirmed to me he's gay. I know another boy who I think is gay but I'm not sure. He always chills with girls, not as a romantic relationship but as friends. I've never seen him with boys. So is he gay? Is it just me that seems to think gay people act a bit different? Are people actually gay or do they think they are because their influenced by social media and how everything is so open? Personally, I wouldn't want anyone to be gay in my family, but I don't care if people outside are gay. By no means am I trying to cause hate or fights, I just want to see what you guys think. If you haven't noticed already, I'm very bad at explaining, so ask me anything if you're confused.

You do not have to like gay people. The point of democracy is that we tolerate those we don't like.
Reply 19
Original post by WaffleApple
Why should people have to conform to what you and other small minded people define as “normal” ?

It really shows a lack of maturity when people assume everyone must fall into this “normal” category.

This isn't just an attack on gay guys who are camp. I don't like aggressive "roadmans" either.

The same way I don't like guys wearing extreme skinny jeans is the same way I don't like guys wearing baggy jeans hanging down half way down their knees, flashing their fake Gucci belt. It's unbearable.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending